Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The shogi is good and also you get taught by cats through cute songs how shogi works and that's neat and helps with all the basics of the game. Even if all the specific shogi terms and strategies that get mentioned still don't mean anything to me. You don't need a really complex understanding to appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I dont know much about chess other then the movement rules, and even less about shogi, even though it tried to teach me. Still i enjoy the shogi matches. It's more focused on the characters playing the shogi anyway.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The technical side of shogi in this show is mostly just some namedropping (ranging rook, fuji system opening), it's very light in the actual strategics, if you can even say there's any at all. It's more about the poetic/human side of it, like how in the last episode it punctuated the fact that shogi kinda fell in Rei's life as a way to escape his problems.

I remember trying to watch an episode or two of Chihayafuru and I couldn't get into it because I don't know, I felt like the show needed me to be invested in that silly card game. Sangatsu no Lion takes some time for the shogi matches to have some actual presence in the plot, and when it happened I was surprised how invested I got into them.

What I mean in the end is that this is not like Akagi, the author definitely doesn't expect the readers to seriously get into shogi mind games.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Symbolic Butt posted:

The technical side of shogi in this show is mostly just some namedropping (ranging rook, fuji system opening), it's very light in the actual strategics, if you can even say there's any at all. It's more about the poetic/human side of it, like how in the last episode it punctuated the fact that shogi kinda fell in Rei's life as a way to escape his problems.

I remember trying to watch an episode or two of Chihayafuru and I couldn't get into it because I don't know, I felt like the show needed me to be invested in that silly card game. Sangatsu no Lion takes some time for the shogi matches to have some actual presence in the plot, and when it happened I was surprised how invested I got into them.

What I mean in the end is that this is not like Akagi, the author definitely doesn't expect the readers to seriously get into shogi mind games.

Well said except calling Karuta silly.

I love Chihayafuru, but it's the story of Chihaya striving to be the best at the card game while character drama and comedy and feelings happen around that central struggle. It's a sports anime.

3-gatsu is the story of Rei striving to be a better and happier human while he works as a professional Shogi player. It's a character drama.

Chihayafuru requires that you learn about the sport to fully enjoy the story (even if you never play it yourself), while 3-gatsu does not.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Do you need to know anything about shogi to appreciate this? I know the rules but am completely ignorant as far as strategy goes.

Don't worry some nice cats will sing songs to teach you all you need to know.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
am i the only one who found the shogi cats kinda freaky

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I enjoy Chihayafuru equally and also enjoy the different styles and strats involved.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

drat.

These chapters were heartrending when I read the manga, but hearing them fully voice acted . . . is rough.

Kana Hanazawa is doing an amazing job as Hina.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mentat Radnor posted:

drat.

These chapters were heartrending when I read the manga, but hearing them fully voice acted . . . is rough.

Kana Hanazawa is doing an amazing job as Hina.
Yeah, yeeeeeah. The VAs are doing a phenomenal job but it just makes that much more heart wrenching.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hina's the strongest. The whole episode was great but I really loved that scene with her and grandpa. It really reminded me of the best scene from last season of Hayashida encouraging Rei.

What a fantastic show. Even if it makes me cry.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
All the little bits of animation in this episode were loving stellar. I never even dreamed that the adaptation for these chapters would look and sound this incredible.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
That episode was like a punch in the guts. :smith:

But yeah animation and voice acting was done really well

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
That scene where Rei bridges his isolation in the ladybug bushes to Hina’s sadness... man

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 5, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

hina is going to use shogi to reduce the bullies life points to 0 and send them to the shadow realm

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Akari's Mom-fu is very powerful.

Also :rip: Takashi-sensei.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rei's getting a bit big for his britches.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
“I’m a pro at being isolated” and taking “being in debt to Hina” literally is so hilariously Rei

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Embrace the DARK SIDE Hina, do it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
As long as Rei has enough shogi prize winnings to pay for Hina's new learning expenses and/or a lawyer

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Takahashi is officially the best boy.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

What an awful teacher. Despite the bullying situation, it's really great to see Hina staying strong (and pissed off) through it all. Emotional support from Rei, her family, and her crush must help.

Magna Kaser posted:

Takahashi is officially the best boy.

He really is. Heart of gold and an arm of fire!

An extra thought: When I read the manga and even when I watched the last few episodes I didn't fully understand why Rei thought that Hina was his "savior" all the sudden. I think I understand it better now. When it comes to Rei's main deal in life, Shogi, his motivation up until now has been like treading water. He doesn't exactly love the game, but he wanted to stay self-sufficient so that he wasn't a burden on his adoptive family.

Now he can have a new motivation: protecting and helping his new family. At this point that's exactly what the Kawamotos have become for him.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 19, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like that Hina isn't just being sad, but is rightfully enraged so you got like this internal conflict in Hina.

I'm not entirely sure what Rei is trying to accomplish though, pay for her to be homeschooled?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not entirely sure what Rei is trying to accomplish though, pay for her to be homeschooled?

I think he mentioned private tutoring, so maybe? Either it's for that, or if she decides to switch to some expensive private highschool that the Kawamotos otherwise couldn't afford? I don't think that he's certain it will be necessary, just that those options would otherwise be closed due to their family's financials. If it ends up being the best option for Hina to leave her current school, he wants it to be an option.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like that Hina isn't just being sad, but is rightfully enraged so you got like this internal conflict in Hina.

Even after leaving the school, Chiho was still traumatized enough to have to go to a rehab center. That's less likely to happen to the tougher Hina, but that shogi money could definitely go towards a lot of unforeseeable expenses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some A+ :ssj: faces from Hina this episode.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Someone please hug these poor children. Jesus.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The visuals in this last episode were particularly amazing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Symbolic Butt posted:

The visuals in this last episode were particularly amazing.

I have to point out, while all the Hina stuff is continually fantastic, there was a scene that was just so spot on and quietly well done that it stunned me.

It was after Rei wins his 4th match, walks out of the building, and finally celebrates but is actually just talking to himself, followed by eating a quick meal alone while planning out the rest of his matches. Everything about this sequence was so realistic and spot on and brought back a ton of nostalgic memories for me in similar situations that I'm convinced they either interviewed several semi-pros or have someone on staff describing what the tournament grinder life was like. And the way Shaft showed the sunset colors while sitting on that bench alone, despite the overall tone of his monologue being playful, was a perfect contrast with a more melancholy reality.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This week, Rei comes face to face with the fact that he thinks of himself as some manga/anime protagonist and reaps what he sows.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
God that match was excruciating. Takes me back to when i was young and would focus on every little thing like that. They animated that pretty drat well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yuuup. I was the same with people who breathed weird and you could hear them whistling through their nose and ARGH.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lol at the mahjong tiles

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Do it Akari, unleash the grandpa. :getin:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Going to Shogi from Chess is like going from a knife fight to dueling with machine guns from the same distance; everything feels so overpowered; oh my god I can use your own pieces against you what the poo poo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Going to Shogi from Chess is like going from a knife fight to dueling with machine guns from the same distance; everything feels so overpowered; oh my god I can use your own pieces against you what the poo poo.

I've been told it's very cautious and conservative until the first piece gets taken then it gets completely insane in no time.

I played a little Chinese chess and that's not too crazy except that the board is relatively wide open so there's not really an early game like chess has.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I started binge watching this cause I got to a final 3 hours early and man this is so good and I'm finally glad The Good Family met the awful sister.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hayashida is perfect and the best teacher and I want him to meet Hina and help her out in person.

Also, Nikaidou is extremely tough and incredibly cool and I really enjoyed getting into his backstory.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A part of me still gets a little irritated when series, including this one, do the ~mysterious illness~ without actually diving into what the condition actually entails. For all I know Umino did do some research on whatever it is Nikaidou is implied to have and I'm just too dense to know what it is but in a series like this with so much particular research on shogi it's a small detail that would be appreciated. Maybe that's just me being greedy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Diabetes is the first thing that comes to mind. Except it doesn't really match up with the medications that were shown.

• Locked thread