Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's also going for 22 episodes, so I don't know where it will end plotwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
March Comes in like a Lion is half of the idiomatic phrase 'March comes in like a Lion, goes out like a lamb'. The title is also written as 3-gatsu no Lion, which becomes Sangatsu no Lion, and Sangatsu is the name of the town where all this takes place.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I have to believe that the the 3-gatsu manga had to have provided some inspiration for the YLiA manga.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Captain Invictus posted:

On the last page but they'd have to cut a hell of a lot of stuff or rush it to get to what I think you're alluding to, and I think it's pretty clear they're not going to do that.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure where it'll end in relation to the manga, 22 episodes right?
If it sticks to two chapters per ep, the anime will likely adapt up to the end of the Souya vs Shimada arc.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

resurgam40 posted:

(and the Elder Sister's... something? Her lines toward the end of that last episode hinted that she might be sitting on some issues herself... I mean, she works at a bar and is adept at handling drunks, so there's obviously some hidden depths there...)
I imagine it must be tough to be the sole maternal figure to your two younger sisters after your mother and grandmother have died.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
At the pace they're going at now, either episode 7 or 8.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Aw yeah, now we're getting into the real meat of the series, with more elaboration on Rei's brief flashbacks from the first four episodes. Seriously, after watching this ep, you can rewatch those first four and build a more complete picture of what happened to him.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Today's ED was so good, but god drat CR for not subbing it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paracelsus posted:

This is usually because they have the right to reproduce/play the song, but not to create derivative works like a translation of the song, the song being a separate work from the episode.
I'm sure they'll continue the chapter to explain each shogi piece and how each one moves, but just imagine if the show only explained it through song and no translation was allowed even though the lyrics had a narrative purpose

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I took it at its word that it was a recap episode so I didn't bother. The next episode preview did show animation, so I just watched that.

Also, have premieres moved to Thursdays?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That sequence of smith waking up and eating breakfast in today's ep captivated me even if I'm still unsure if it was technically good. I am certain that that jazzy music def helped a lot

e: i suspected it might've been a reference to something, so i'm not entirely surprised it's a 1:1 recreation of an op from some 70s japanese tv show: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24758574

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Fantastic animated sequence in today's first chapter, and then you see Shimada get chumped by Souya and realize how much further Rei still has to go professionally

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
drat, i have to choose between this and rakugo for aoty 2017? what a good dilemma to have

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
To whet your appetite before S2 arrives (less than a fortnight!), someone translated an interview with Shinbo and Umino that happened some time before S1 premiered.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nate RFB posted:

(Manga) He can take some solace in at least not being the worst one in the story.

I know posting a spoiler like that is annoying but your comment is just too teed up for it.
I took great pleasure in seeing [SPOILER] get owned like that in the story, yet Umino has been curiously treating Rei's adopted father with kid gloves (even though he's a different flavor of bad dad).

And we've seen how dysfunctional his family has become but we don't really get a sense of the toll it has taken on him, and he even comes off as blithely unaware of the situation. Do you think Umino is withholding overt criticism of his character until at a later point in the story?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
All the little bits of animation in this episode were loving stellar. I never even dreamed that the adaptation for these chapters would look and sound this incredible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
As long as Rei has enough shogi prize winnings to pay for Hina's new learning expenses and/or a lawyer

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like that Hina isn't just being sad, but is rightfully enraged so you got like this internal conflict in Hina.

I'm not entirely sure what Rei is trying to accomplish though, pay for her to be homeschooled?
Even after leaving the school, Chiho was still traumatized enough to have to go to a rehab center. That's less likely to happen to the tougher Hina, but that shogi money could definitely go towards a lot of unforeseeable expenses.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mentat Radnor posted:

Looks like next week will be significant for Hina's bullying arc based on the preview voiceover.
Mmm two weeks from now

• Locked thread