Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I was shocked to see this was SHAFT, but also not shocked. Good too see them flex their style beyond what they're known for. The quality of some of the background images were so good that they were distracting me from the character drama setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Finally catching up, this show is amazing, episode (05) was incredible, both halves were so powerful,

and episode (06) well,

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Everything about that ending Kyouko scene was brilliant, holy poo poo

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can you explain, perhaps its because I've been sick with the flu when I've been watching this and the last episode, but what exactly is going on with Kyouko when she visits Rei?

While on the surface it looked like she was just being a super bitch sister, I felt there was more nuance. It was all of her minor yet complex characterization regurgitated into one scene.

When we last saw her character it was the story of how her dad made her quit Shogi because she wasn't good enough to beat Rei, and this scene showed how all those feelings of resentment and jealousy and blame (yet simultaneously knowing that Rei wasn't to blame) developed afterwards. She still wants to be a caring older sister, yet can't help but throw in sarcastic and snide comments here and there. And despite all that and not seeing each other in a while and not really understanding each other, they both are at least making that (obligatory) sibling effort to try.

It's just a great interaction between the two, topped off stylistically with SHAFT being SHAFT.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I sorta disagree but I'm actually not caught up on the latest episode so I don't know what would constitute a manga spoiler or not. If my internet isn't 100% then streaming from crunchyroll is an absolute impossibility, so I'll have to wait to watch. :gonk:

That relationship is a super complicated thing and I can hash out my thoughts later on, though it's a thing that's vague enough in the manga to be interpreted a lot of different ways so I don't mean to imply that your thoughts are invalid or anything.

I hear ya. I should have qualified that with an "it's very likely she wants to be a caring older sister" since I'm only like 70% sure of that as part of her character. The latest episode (09) makes it seem more like she's really trying to get him to see or experience or understand that the absentminded stuff he does can negatively affect the relationships around him, notably and foremost, her. This could be a misguided attempt at helping or just a typical character flaw.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Araki posted:

Requesting a gif of the teacher's OH NO

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

:kimchi:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Episode 11.5, worth or skip?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

darn. Oh well, thank you for your sacrifice friendly goons

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There's always that one guy that cracks the lame jokes, this is too real lol

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This show

is so good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sindai posted:

Was not expecting this to also be the most intense food anime of the season.

Shokugeki no Soma season 3 is airing this season...

Anyways, I'm happy this show is back.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

The tying her to the bed thing is weird

kinkshaming in 2017 lol

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Moltrey posted:

man we read this scene super differently

granted I was super hungover again watching this ep, but I read it as his wife was in a coma and so he asks Kyouka to go out and buy hair and skin products for his wife with his money because either he's too embarrassed to do so himself or just doesn't know much about hygiene products, all so he can wash his wife's hair etc.

I'd have to go back and rewatch it not in a bad way, but out of all the bad things Gotoh does, that really didnt seem like one of them

I think he was being honest when he says going in places like that gives him minor allergic reactions. Hell, I get a bit sneezy too in some perfume sections of malls.

On the next level, it made him seem like he was asking Kyouka out of convenience. Like to show that their relationship is more than just FWB but less than "we're actually soulmates".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I do not think I am ready for this Hina arc. Just with the post-credits scene my defensive "who did this where are they BLOODTHIRSTY REVENGE TIME" alarm was a-blarin'.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Do you need to know anything about shogi to appreciate this? I know the rules but am completely ignorant as far as strategy goes.

Just like most (edit: good) sports shows, nope. Me before the show: "Shogi is, uh, Japanese chess?" and that's all I knew. The first season does a good job explaining the rules in a palatable way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

The visuals in this last episode were particularly amazing.

I have to point out, while all the Hina stuff is continually fantastic, there was a scene that was just so spot on and quietly well done that it stunned me.

It was after Rei wins his 4th match, walks out of the building, and finally celebrates but is actually just talking to himself, followed by eating a quick meal alone while planning out the rest of his matches. Everything about this sequence was so realistic and spot on and brought back a ton of nostalgic memories for me in similar situations that I'm convinced they either interviewed several semi-pros or have someone on staff describing what the tournament grinder life was like. And the way Shaft showed the sunset colors while sitting on that bench alone, despite the overall tone of his monologue being playful, was a perfect contrast with a more melancholy reality.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

It almost feels bad to have this hero teacher come out of nowhere to lay the smackdown and resolve everything now, because you'd think when things got bad enough that a kid dropped out because of the issues he would have been brought in much earlier.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

Lmao WTF That post credits art

the literal representation of 3-gatsu characters as Street Fighter characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Honestly only the bangs were kinda weird, easily fixable.

Whatever powers that be, please make more of this show :pray:

• Locked thread