Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I laughed that the teacher got the same voice as Reigen from Mob Psycho 100. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

darkgray posted:

It didn't really hit me until I watched the song in this episode, but Rei's step-siblings are named after shougi pawns:

Kyouko = 香子 :: 香車 = kyousha
Ayumu = 歩 :: 歩兵 = fuhyou

Bit late to notice after 12 volumes of the manga, but oh well. Maybe I just forgot. Yeah, that must be it.

You mean shougi pieces

香車 = lance
歩兵 = pawn

But nice catch, thanks for sharing it!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The direction in this episode was pretty great.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The melting part was very Kaiji.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I stopped reading the manga because they stopped translating it back then, now the anime is almost reaching the point where I stopped and I'm super excited. The next match was my favorite moment, I guess a lot of people itt are also hyped up.

I can't wait for the anime to finish and to get back to the manga again.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Yeah, that was years ago, the translation was very erratic until they just stopped. Then in 2015 I heard some other group picked it up but I was too lazy to re-read from the beginning.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This was on wikipedia's front page today and I thought it was interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karolina_Styczy%C5%84ska

quote:

Styczyńska started playing shogi as a teenager after seeing the game depicted in an issue of the Japanese manga Naruto. She learned the rules of the game on the Internet, then began studying on her own using online materials and videos.[3][4][5]

quote:

She was promoted to 2-kyū on February 20, 2017, thus becoming the first non-Japanese—male or female—to be awarded full professional status.[1][2][3][4]

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The technical side of shogi in this show is mostly just some namedropping (ranging rook, fuji system opening), it's very light in the actual strategics, if you can even say there's any at all. It's more about the poetic/human side of it, like how in the last episode it punctuated the fact that shogi kinda fell in Rei's life as a way to escape his problems.

I remember trying to watch an episode or two of Chihayafuru and I couldn't get into it because I don't know, I felt like the show needed me to be invested in that silly card game. Sangatsu no Lion takes some time for the shogi matches to have some actual presence in the plot, and when it happened I was surprised how invested I got into them.

What I mean in the end is that this is not like Akagi, the author definitely doesn't expect the readers to seriously get into shogi mind games.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The visuals in this last episode were particularly amazing.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lol at the mahjong tiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I finally caught up, I'm not sure if it was intentional, Souya appearing to be child-like and autistic when actually he is just becoming deaf. The way he reacted (or actually didn't react) to the wine was a bit too much and didn't feel consistent with him just being deaf.

I admit that him not picking up the phone in an earlier episode was some clever foreshadowing though.

• Locked thread