Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm hyped, I've been trying to fill a void in terms of Shaft content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Even the Dursleys took in Harry.

e: So was the man that took in Rei the same person he played Shogi with while waiting for his dad or? I have a hard time telling salarymen apart.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This anime isn't super exciting for me yet but how the heck did this weeks episode go by so fast? I don't understand how that happened. It's like I blinked and it was over.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

Everything about that ending Kyouko scene was brilliant, holy poo poo

Can you explain, perhaps its because I've been sick with the flu when I've been watching this and the last episode, but what exactly is going on with Kyouko when she visits Rei?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
All the Studio Shaftisms in the world it seems. Two people standing opposite of each other in front of a river with some sort of boat in the background and one of them has a head tilt.

The outburst at the end was the good stuff. I like it that Rei isn't a pushover and actually has some bite to him.

"It's your fault that you're weak!" and holy hell is it true.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

runupon cracker posted:

Why are Shaft's worlds so friggin empty? Is it a budget thing, or is it just the idea of isolating this poor guy?

I think I saw an explanation for this in Nisekoi; the idea is that Shaft likes to portray their adaptions as being stage plays or at least evoke stage/theatre imagery. So the emptiness is like sorta just meant to bring the focus on the central characters who basically take turns monologuing at each other.

But it does do a good job at conveying isolation; I couldn't help but feel like the walls were closing in on me watching Rei run through the park.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, flights of pigeons.

Isn't that a John Woo thing that Anime likes a lot? It was also in Re:Zero.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cowwan posted:

Now that I've gotten to it, I see why there were so many replies in this thread this week, this was a particularly good episode in an already great show.

I appreciate that Rei didn't fix Mr. Yasui's marriage, relative to what we got that would be a total cop out. Also, the bit where Mr. Yasui got kinda melty was pretty great imagery.

Even though I don't really know what's going on during them, this show does a really good job of holding my attention during matches. It kinda reminds me of Akag in that regard.

The moment where Yasui grabbed the back raised my hackles and made me go into defence mode myself, it was very realistic.

It's not quite Akagi for me yet in terms of being able to follow along; I feel like they're using "Advanced plays" where the moves rely on the interaction of multiple pieces and that just isn't obvious to me compared to "Oh I can take that piece without losing one, sweet."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, Rei seems to be recovering from his funk and his cold.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yay! This episode gave me a strong sense of Rei actually does wanna win his matches. :D

Do we have an explanation as to what was going on with his slump earlier?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also, tumbleweeds in Tokyo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Rei is lively.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shaft is just one of those studios where I feel like I can't go wrong.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Bit of a Hikaru no Go moment there with Rei surmising a way to have won the match?.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My only regret is the chess club stuff didn't involve Chihayafuru-esque hijinks to branch out and introduce more characters who are into shogi but closer to Rei in age. The science club people don't quite sell it to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Other than being kind of a dick to Rei and going overboard in punching him, has Gotoh done anything for us to not like him? We only have Rei's perspective which is, slanted, somewhat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nooooo I was ready! Finally ready! To see Rei destroy some people in Shogi!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I enjoy Chihayafuru equally and also enjoy the different styles and strats involved.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Embrace the DARK SIDE Hina, do it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like that Hina isn't just being sad, but is rightfully enraged so you got like this internal conflict in Hina.

I'm not entirely sure what Rei is trying to accomplish though, pay for her to be homeschooled?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yuuup. I was the same with people who breathed weird and you could hear them whistling through their nose and ARGH.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Going to Shogi from Chess is like going from a knife fight to dueling with machine guns from the same distance; everything feels so overpowered; oh my god I can use your own pieces against you what the poo poo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I ship Rei with the older sister, I feel like that's a little more wholesome.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Rei made a friend whose more hopeless than he is. :3:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They make it hard to know who to root for.

My impression though is that Kishou(?) probably shouldn't be striving to win because his friends and colleagues stopped playing Shogi and saddling him with that obligation; they stopped, that's their choice and on them, maybe for one tournament it'd be fine to say "I dedicate this win to [X] who unfortunately had to stop." But you're entire shogi career? That's unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm glad that the chemistry club plotline now intersects with the main plotline :)

• Locked thread