Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Araki posted:

Me watching episode 1 of the Marching Lion anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMN5y_b7z4

Agreed.

Things I thought were really loving good about the episode:

- Shots of his apartment at the beginning: In just a few shots, Shinbou communicates all the basics of Rei's life and personality, but leaves out the most important details for later, where they would make more of an impact.

- News broadcast about the kid murdering his dad, and subsequent shots: This scene really hit home how guilty Rei feels about his life. Its the only aspect of Rei that is overstated by the show, which makes it even more impactful.

- Dinner scene: The entire scene is just tons of fun! Not only does it serve to introduce the three sisters and their varied personalities, but.also builds Rei's character through his relationship with them.

- Bridge scene: We already know that Rei is alone at this point. But this scene hammers home how much Rei wants to be alone. The three sisters may have lost their parents, but they are still a very much functional, if mismatched, family, as shown by the dinner scene and the bridge scene. Rei could easily be part of that family, but instead he constantly wants to push them away.

Lets hope Shinbou can keep this up for a whole season. Judging by peoples opinions of the source, it seems there's plenty of good material for him and Shaft to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

These opening shots, and indeed almost all of the first episode, are 1:1 taken from the manga panels right down to the camera angles. Shinbou took that already fantastic framing and put movement and that deliberate pacing to it that really lets it sink in.

I can skim over those two pages of manga in just a few seconds, but being forced to have my gaze linger on each detail of Rei's room while listening to the sounds of his neighborhood really wowed me. Great directing. "Don't change what's already perfect about the source material, just make it shine like it never could in still, black and white panels." or something like that.

Yeah, the pacing/editing of that scene was really drat good. It's pretty cool that the manga did that shot composition first.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I could stare at this forever.

• Locked thread