Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The tonal shift between him alone vs the Kawamoto having was sweet.

I also really loved Akari's text!! So perceptive :). Seriously, I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

So, I've been trying to learn Japanese for fun (reason I give: to translate design publications, real reason: manga), and I've been doing it for a while now. A (Japanese) co-worker i met recently offered to bring me some manga, and one of the volumes he brought is March Comes in Like a Lion vol 1.

I've already read everything translated so far, but it's nice to see it in person, on paper. Hard as gently caress to read, though, tbqh. No furigana :'( if I don't know a word, I have to handwrite it to pull it up, and goddamn some of the chars are so tiny i can barely figure out the radicals.

But seriously, overall I was just happy he brought me stuff, but seeing that volume was so thrilling to me. Like "ohhhh I know this one!!" Plus, I'm so used to seeing scans on a screen, I forgot how nice real books are. And the font choices/proportion make much more sense than in the scanlations, and flow much better.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Akari is perfect :allears:

I thought the shogi scene was interestingly done (I skipped a lot of the shogi stuff in the manga) but I still don't really understand the game at all.

Looking forward to more Nikaidou!! And Shimada soon :kimchi:

there's so much I love about the manga and how Rei grows. The anime is doing a great job (thanks to color!) with the tonal shifts between apt/shogi life and the Kawamoto house. I look forward to when that starts to seep into the rest of his life, as they gradually pull him out of that shell and he finds himself with actual friends in shogi.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Hina's crying broke me. I remember being sad about the scene in the manga but how it was animated and that couple seconds of silence just HURT. Totally made me cry a little.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I look forward to when Rei tries to teach Hina shogi, and Nikaidou busts out his ridiculous self-published awesome shogi manual, because I actually understood the game a little after that.

Is that next episode?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Today's ED was so good, but god drat CR for not subbing it

I knoooooooooow. I remember Nikaidou's explanation in the manga helping a lot with understanding the shogi parts, but i feel like this song would be even better at it.

Hina & Rei after talking to Takahashi was just the cutest scene.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

When does Shimada come in? Shimada is awesome. I hope this season covers some more about Souya, too, but the manga doesn't really flesh him out till waaaay later.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Honey & Clover got two seasons, so I'm hoping this gets two seasons, too. There's a lot of the manga to cover.

Akari continues to be perfect. :allears:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure that was brought up, and that that was probably rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Coaaab posted:

That sequence of smith waking up and eating breakfast in today's ep captivated me even if I'm still unsure if it was technically good. I am certain that that jazzy music def helped a lot

e: i suspected it might've been a reference to something, so i'm not entirely surprised it's a 1:1 recreation of an op from some 70s japanese tv show: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24758574

Thanks for this! The animation was weirdly choppy (eg the newspaper), but fitting with the tone.

Finally!! Shimada!! Also loved Smith's option C.

And the end card was beautiful.

• Locked thread