Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder what an actual shogi player would think of this set-up. Would it strike them as implausible that a rank A professional would miss that solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

My only regret is the chess club stuff didn't involve Chihayafuru-esque hijinks to branch out and introduce more characters who are into shogi but closer to Rei in age. The science club people don't quite sell it to me.

Yeah. Mustache guy is one thing, but the rest are totally faceless generic guys.

Erg posted:

I think it's like most sports where your mental state has a huge effect on your performance. Idk if that was a move that should be blindingly obvious, but he was at the verge of elimination, playing someone that he thought of as well beyond his league, and dealing with constant stomach pain. It makes sense to me from just a sports person standpoint that he thought he couldn't win, which fed back into him playing poorly.

Maybe so, but everyone else in the room missed it too. It was clearly meant to be something that only intuitive genius players would notice, which is inherently something that's damned near impossible to write if you aren't one of those geniuses. Mostly I was surprised that they actually showed the entire board state as opposed to just leaving it a bit vague.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I could swear they mentioned he had a kidney problem in an earlier episode.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

They make it hard to know who to root for.

My impression though is that Kishou(?) probably shouldn't be striving to win because his friends and colleagues stopped playing Shogi and saddling him with that obligation; they stopped, that's their choice and on them, maybe for one tournament it'd be fine to say "I dedicate this win to [X] who unfortunately had to stop." But you're entire shogi career? That's unreasonable.

Kishou isn't his name, it's a title he's earned, like "grandmaster" or something. It's replacing the numbered rank other players get, ie: Shimada 8-dan. His name is Yanagihara, iirc. If Shimada wins he will become the new Kishou. That's what they mean by a title match: they're literally competing for a title.

• Locked thread