Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I know people have been bringing up Your Lie in April as a comparison a lot, but 3 Gatsu is much better also it has more food

That said, I can see why comparisons would be drawn. There's the tragedy in the four-eyes' lives, their one skill that simultaneously supports and tortures them (piano and shogi), and then there are lady character(s) that bring a light to their lives. Both series also balances silly comedy with melodramatic moments.

I did read all of Your Lie in April and it did end when it needed to, I give it that much. I don't think the lighthearted bits worked as well as they do in 3 Gatsu though. There's something about Rei and his connection with the Kawamotos and his emotional journey in shogi and real life that I'm much more invested in and Umino's art style really conveys both sides of happy and heart wrenching moments very effectively.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think the varied cast and the multi-faceted nature of them and the story helps 3-Gatsu a lot, while Your Lie in April is kind of just more stereotypical and it was headed down one straight path. Which in a way, again, is good. It knew what it was and where it was gonna go.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The quality of anime food is important to me

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can safely say that it is good because of and in spite of shogi.

• Locked thread