Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I dunno how I missed this thread until now but I am extremely loving excited because 3-Gatsu no Lion is one of my favorite things ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah, the end card was really nice.

Everything looked wonderful, that episode exceeded my expectations for sure.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gnossiennes posted:

But seriously, overall I was just happy he brought me stuff, but seeing that volume was so thrilling to me. Like "ohhhh I know this one!!" Plus, I'm so used to seeing scans on a screen, I forgot how nice real books are. And the font choices/proportion make much more sense than in the scanlations, and flow much better.

The scanlations get a little better as you go along and definitely look nicer now; it seems like the redrawing for them borders on being hellish at times. I think it's more or less just Kewl0210 doing it now since it's not a Be With You project anymore? Anyway yeah I bought all of the volumes too and it's really nice to flip through them :3:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I wish I had something more substantive to say than "this was a good episode" but I really don't, it just makes me really happy to see how well the manga comes across onscreen and how great it is at evoking that emotion you get when reading it. I love the pacing, too, since it's a lot easier to read through quickly without really appreciating some of those details.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

He's a sweet pea. You will enjoy next week, I think. I hope that's not a spoiler?!?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

btw manga readers looks like an update just went up on batoto for volume 12

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Mentat Radnor posted:

This episode is too drat cute! Nikaidou being Totoro is perfect. :swoon:

I've had a terrible terrible week and just seeing that actually got me to smile again. He's just so adorable with Momo.

A thing that came across in the anime that I guess I sort of missed in the manga was the sort of playful relationship Nikaidou and Rei had while studying together. In the manga it always felt more... not antagonistic or anything, but more like Rei was just passively dealing with it (which he still does to an extent, of course, but not without slinging back more).

They're really doing justice to Rei's character here.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Not nearly enough animated gifs of this show

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Cowwan posted:

Cool, thanks.

Semi-related, looking at these chapter numbers I'm probably going to pick up the manga after the show runs it's course.

You're definitely gonna want to! I still don't really know where this show will leave off but a LOT happens that you're going to want to find out about if you're really into it and up for reading some manga.

Today's ED was just too much. Too much! It was adorable.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I honestly thought I posted here last week to say that I read that there wouldn't be one this week but clearly I forgot. :cry:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

These are adorable

https://twitter.com/aniplex_plus/status/802528378834194432

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

AnacondaHL posted:

She still wants to be a caring older sister, yet can't help but throw in sarcastic and snide comments here and there.

I sorta disagree but I'm actually not caught up on the latest episode so I don't know what would constitute a manga spoiler or not. If my internet isn't 100% then streaming from crunchyroll is an absolute impossibility, so I'll have to wait to watch. :gonk:

That relationship is a super complicated thing and I can hash out my thoughts later on, though it's a thing that's vague enough in the manga to be interpreted a lot of different ways so I don't mean to imply that your thoughts are invalid or anything.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I feel like the manga really has a sense of that, too. Especially with Rei's "you lost because you were weak," he's all alone and there's just nothing around him.

Alright, with regard to Kyoko, this was my take. I think at this point anything I say really isn't spoiler-ish?

Kyoko is several years older than Rei; I wouldn't say this makes her so very much more mature than he or anything like that but the age difference does matter because I think Kyoko does engage in some slightly sophisticated emotional manipulation/abuse.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say she flat out detests him but I don't think she actually loves him in any way. I think she very early on saw him as a competitor for attention and someone who was destroying the family dynamic: truisms, really, but not things that are Rei's fault at all but it's a lot easier to blame the new kid in the family than to blame your dad for making a decision that might not work for a family, no matter how noble.

This is where I potentially go off the deep end, but I retyped this a few times and got tired of hedging on it so I'll just say precisely what I actually think and whatever.

I think Rei has romantic feelings for her in some capacity that he absolutely couldn't process (I mean, she's his adoptive sister so there's your starting point for why this would be impossible for him to process, among a lot of other things). He fixates on her in a way he doesn't with his brother and there are reasons for that that might not align with romantic feelings, but the way he frames her other romantic involvements seems to hint at it. It's really hard to tell in the manga.

I think Kyoko sensed that and because she dislikes him, decided to take advantage of him. Keeping that in mind I now think that the scene we see with her straddling him/holding his collar is unequivocally assault: she wanted to hurt him in some way because she picked up on that. I think her other interactions with him continue that in some fashion; she knows he has no idea what to do with himself as far as she's concerned and can take advantage of him when it suits and take out her rage and frustration on him over and over without any true pushback from him.

I don't think that Rei himself has come around to the idea that what she did to him was assault or abuse but he clearly keeps thinking about it and trying to process it to some extent since it shows up as a fragment in his mind over and over again and it isn't something framed in a way like 'this was a moment I enjoyed,' it's 'this was a scary thing that happened and I don't know what to do about it.' Maybe Kyoko, who is mature but obviously not as mature as she thinks, has a similar sort of problem with processing her thoughts about him and assaulting him was how she dealt with it but that's even harder to divine than the other stuff I just typed up.

I mean Rei's whole thing is just figuring out how to have something even approaching a healthy relationship with other people because he clearly doesn't even have the first clue. I really hope people who are into the anime but haven't read the manga try to pick it up after this ends because there's some stuff that likely won't be animated that's really interesting about him; he goes through some big changes but "I have no idea how to process this so I'll bury it with [this other thing]" remains a constant with him.

eta: I know this is long, sorry, I just... obviously if you're here you love 3 gatsu too but I love this series so much that I'll type words forever on anything relating to it

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 18, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah, that was years ago, the translation was very erratic until they just stopped. Then in 2015 I heard some other group picked it up but I was too lazy to re-read from the beginning.

it's hi wa mata noboru doing it now, not be with you scans, and they're caught up as far as volume releases go. go check batoto and enjoy crying a lot

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

One of my favorite things about this show so far as opposed to other SadBoy shows/manga is that rather than be super bootstrappy about dealing with depression, it recognizes that kind of stuff takes time and never really goes away.

You're reading manga alongside, right?

This is one of the absolute best things that the manga does and I won't spoil it for you of course but just wait and see...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's funny, I keep thinking no one watches really but I had several irl friends turn out to be stealth viewers, plus when i talk about it on twitter here and there i end up finding out about other friends who were, too.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hahahah I saw that last night on twitter too and immediately thought of the same thing

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Such a great episode to start on; it's nice to see Rei so happy. The science club stuff is adorable.

I'm really excited about this season. A lot of great stuff is coming our way :allears:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Sindai posted:

Well, it seems like he's trying not to but the sister is relentlessly throwing herself at him.

Honestly I found it more weird than endearing.

The tying her to the bed thing is weird and he's the older adult in this situation so yeah it's creepy.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate seeing the character sketched out but feel Rei when he's trying to figure out how much he should care about the guy.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm going to regret this

Rei doesn't fully understand what's at play when he tries to intercede for his sister but it doesn't change the fact that Gotou repeatedly punched a teenager.

Kyouko is also not absolved of her predatory behavior - particularly towards Rei - merely because of youth, she's an adult and is absolutely a stalker, but she's also in way, way over her head with gotou and comes as close as she can to flat out admitting it to Rei when she talks about being scared (of who she is).

Gotou is not only an older adult freely engaging in a sexual relationship with a much younger woman, he's also engaging in one with a woman with whom he has had an almost paternal relationship. Kyouko clearly figured out that her sexuality is the way she can get attention and feel some sense of power in her life and again, she's an adult and has agency, but Gotou willingly engages her on some level and has the real power here. That's what that weird tying up stuff amounts to.

And having your quasi lover buy beauty products for your wife is a weeeeird move. There's a huge level of intimacy there.

Gotou is also pretty broken and worth examining; characters can be deeply flawed but still interesting and even sympathetic in some way and I think both Kyouko and Gotou fall readily in that category. I guess I worry more for Kyouko because she's on a terrible path and Rei is seemingly the only person she's even remotely interested in reaching out to, and she can't even do that without being abusive.

Her dad really did a bang up job on that family

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

You're right on that count :negative:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Latest volume translation is also just about done by HWMN too btw

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Volume 13 translation is up if you read the manga:
http://hiwamatanoboru.com/2017/10/27/3-gatsu-no-lion-march-comes-in-like-a-lion-volume-13/

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Akari/Shimada is my ship

this conversation is so dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

:love:

https://twitter.com/freusan/status/965018866110910464

• Locked thread