Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AnacondaHL posted:

I hear ya. I should have qualified that with an "it's very likely she wants to be a caring older sister" since I'm only like 70% sure of that as part of her character. The latest episode (09) makes it seem more like she's really trying to get him to see or experience or understand that the absentminded stuff he does can negatively affect the relationships around him, notably and foremost, her. This could be a misguided attempt at helping or just a typical character flaw.
Yeah, I don't think that's what's going on. I think what you see as maybe wanting to be a caring older sister is actually just an attempt at using some hosed up emotional manipulation tactics to throw Rei off his game on the eve of an important match. It might have worked, too, if she hadn't miscalculated the personalities of both Rei and Matsunaga. She's basically the polar opposite of Harunobu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I enjoy the extent to which this show appreciates cats.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A good :unsmith: close to the season, though it was severely deficient in Momo.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Susano-maku da! posted:

I’m so glad this warm blanket/sad poem of a show is back
:yeah:

It's so nice to see the dude just have a good day.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah you don't have to know a ton about or even be particularly interested in shogi to appreciate the characters. Like, I know enough of the broad strokes to know that it sounds very like a very interesting game that I have no plans to dedicate the time to learn well enough to understand the significance of anything that might be happening on the board at any given time.

If you're already reasonably familiar with chess those broad strokes aren't too hard to grasp, though. Start with chess, but make it way more complex by allowing the redeployment of captured pieces, giving every piece a ton more mobility on the board, and allowing promotions of those pieces to versions with even more mobility.

I love these anime shogi dorks, but I am not one of them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Akari's Mom-fu is very powerful.

Also :rip: Takashi-sensei.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

nielsm posted:

Diabetes is the first thing that comes to mind. Except it doesn't really match up with the medications that were shown.

Nikaidou is based on a real player who suffered from a chronic kidney disorder.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rei is a good friend. :unsmith:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hey Shaft, can we just keep this show going forever? Okay thanks bye.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I love how this show still manages to keep surprising me with just how loving good it is.

I also like the new OP and ED.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You know he's the kind of dork that would wait.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Taking a break on a high note. The Kawamoto family is very powerful.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Symbolic Butt posted:

I finally caught up, I'm not sure if it was intentional, Souya appearing to be child-like and autistic when actually he is just becoming deaf. The way he reacted (or actually didn't react) to the wine was a bit too much and didn't feel consistent with him just being deaf.
I feel like it was more that he just finds the media attention tiresome at this point, and just didn't really give a poo poo since people tend to think of him as pretty eccentric anyway and it got him out of the gaggle sooner.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Getting a little existential this week.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Someone please reboot the teacher.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

What a way to end the season. :3: