Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow! That was great! Wow!!

Futaba Anzu posted:

the main character looks like the guy from the april show
It may just be the timing when I started reading Lion (shortly after finishing the manga for Your Lie in April), everything about March Comes in like a Lion reeked of "This is totally Your Lie in April but 1000% better in every conceivable way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have no particular interest in shogi, but both its presentation within the story and the way it often reveals insights into various characters is fascinating and even riveting/moving.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Big Liars" was a nice bit of needed levity in an otherwise super heavy episode.

It's like...you know from the outside perspective, hell even Rei probably knows on some level, that none of what happened was his fault. That he did what he could to survive emotionally/mentally. But imagining yourself in the same position, how would you not feel guilty? Isolated? How could you not cling to any bit of warmth or hope to get you through the days?

Shaft's art direction is predictably superlative as well, particularly here with Rei's father describing the path of a pro Shogi player. This show is loving great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I definitely blinked and it was already over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like no new ep this week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I'd call it my favorite thing about Lion or anything but the relationship between Rei and Kyouko is very complex and extremely well told.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ending sequence to this ep was so great, holy poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Momo melted my heart in this episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyoko's "advice" probably didn't help him, either.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I stopped reading the manga because they stopped translating it back then, now the anime is almost reaching the point where I stopped and I'm super excited. The next match was my favorite moment, I guess a lot of people itt are also hyped up.

I can't wait for the anime to finish and to get back to the manga again.
Was this years ago? Because the current scans are pretty far from the anime's current spot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Episode five: oh god I'm not sure i can take this.
*checks what happened in that one*

Oh...oh yeah, that was sure a thing :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, Shinichiro Miki aka Deishu Kaiki in the house for Shimada. That was a nice surprise.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"I'm even terrible at depression" is one hell of a thought to have :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyouko just has this sort of unbridled intensity that makes any scene she's in something you want to look away from but just can't, you get caught up in the entire maelstrom that is her. At any rate there were certainly flashes about her up and down relationship with Rei but I feel this is the first time you see her for real. "Don't touch me. But don't move away, either." is almost biting.

E: This look was rad, too:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sure some people will disagree but I think this might be the best thing Shaft has ever made. The source material was already great and there were maybe lingering questions about how Shaft's usual stylings would play in such a story, but it's all come together in a wonderful way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

z0glin Warchief posted:

I was about to agree, but then I remembered Hidamari Sketch was Shaft, so now I'm not sure.
Hidamari is a powerful contender for sure, you won't hear any arguments for me on that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing would make me happier than if this could become a long-running series for Shaft, because the story never stops getting better and more engrossing. I get chills thinking about how Shaft might handle some of the later developments. So you have a lot to look forward to, both in this show and the manga if you decide to read on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if other manga readers caught the little tidbit of foreshadowing in this episode for a development that comes quite a bit later in the story.

E: vvv Yep!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 28, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is both super neat and thematically appropriate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This show has more gravitas, riveting musical scores and cues, raw emotion, and well-crafted imagery and symbolism dedicated to its shogi matches than most shows with more ostensibly serious subject matter that I can think of at the moment. I had watched the latest Gundam IBO prior, and it was fine in of itself but I could feel myself far more drawn into Shimada's struggle.

Also, Raidou is a jerk!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hina calling Rei at the end was a good chaser after all of the downer moments from the past couple of eps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's p fuckin great, considering what arcs they'll likely get into.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd be cool with a new thread.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hina shouldn't ever cry, it is very upsetting. :(
*tugs collar awkwardly*

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

does that trailer have a real quick glimpse of (spoilers for later manga stuff)
No, not that I saw.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a strong episode to start out with, because it showcases how with little fanfare Rei has been able to find his place in the world, more or less. He's been able to make connections with other people and now is willing to go over to the Kawamoto household unprompted (remember how he had to be dragged there in the first couple of episodes?). He's slowly but surely getting into a better place, and what I like about this dynamic is that there is no singular "epiphany" that got him there. It was just a natural, slow evolution on his part made possible by the love and support of those around him.

So with that out of the way, you could argue that at this point we know a good deal about just who Rei Kiriyama is, and the bulk of the first 23 episodes were dedicated to getting us here. Which means the other main characters will can now get their own spotlights...and all the highs and lows that might entail in a story like this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's certainly one way to do a episode title title-drop.

An alternative I might suggest is "Intensity". Almost every shot of a character in this episode is dripping and oozing with it, from the biting words to their peircing glares. I almost felt some sense of exhaustion myself watching these characters throw themselves into both this sport and their lives.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC Gotou was Kouda's student along with Rei's biological father, and Kyouko/Rei got to know him as they grew up. There are absolutely some nasty power dynamics at work in that relationship no matter how you slice it. And ultimately it is hard to understand just how it really works, if it does at all. As after all despite what we saw in this episode, Kyouko still seeks solace in Rei, crying/lamenting that despite all of Gotou's antagonism towards both her and Rei she still loves him. Everyone seems to contradict their own actions and hearts, and ultimately I don't think we are truly meant to feel "sympathy" for these players on this board. Instead we are meant to see them as humans. "Who are you to decide what is good? What is bad?" It's not like this is directed solely at Rei, you could call it the entire theme of the episode.

It's why "Chaos" is such a great title for that little arc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Her dad really did a bang up job on that family
(Manga) He can take some solace in at least not being the worst one in the story.

I know posting a spoiler like that is annoying but your comment is just too teed up for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

P-Mack posted:

I stumbled across the live action movie part 1 while on a flight and liked it but thought the ending left a lot unresolved. But there doesn't seem to be any way for me to watch part 2 so I guess I'm stuck!

Should I just read the manga or anime or whatever?
You should both of those things, regardless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ooooooh boy.

To be truthful the hype for this season caused me to go back and reread this part and I dunno if people are going to be ready for it, it kind of destroyed me all over again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The shogi parts are executed exceptionally well and have some great bits of characterization and imagery, especially for some side characters for whom the game means different things. It is a useful narrative framing device and even provides some solid justification for why Rei is able to handle some things the way he does.

It's arguably not the reason I like the story as much as I do but I also can't imagine it without it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mentat Radnor posted:

drat.

These chapters were heartrending when I read the manga, but hearing them fully voice acted . . . is rough.

Kana Hanazawa is doing an amazing job as Hina.
Yeah, yeeeeeah. The VAs are doing a phenomenal job but it just makes that much more heart wrenching.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rei's getting a bit big for his britches.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some A+ :ssj: faces from Hina this episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This week, Rei comes face to face with the fact that he thinks of himself as some manga/anime protagonist and reaps what he sows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A part of me still gets a little irritated when series, including this one, do the ~mysterious illness~ without actually diving into what the condition actually entails. For all I know Umino did do some research on whatever it is Nikaidou is implied to have and I'm just too dense to know what it is but in a series like this with so much particular research on shogi it's a small detail that would be appreciated. Maybe that's just me being greedy, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Helter Skelter posted:

Rei is a good friend. :unsmith:
And has good friends, in turn. Such a good and understated manner of developing his character arc; his first episode self could have never pulled this off, but at the same time him getting to this point just kind of snuck up on the viewer. And yet it makes sense given the tribulations he went through himself, peppered throughout the story, and how he was able to overcome them to some degree thanks to the support of the Kawamotos and others.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the time it was announced a fair number of people, myself included, thought that Shaft was an odd choice to adapt this comic, but in hindsight they might've been the perfect match given how many visual metaphors/sequences the comic likes to use which of course Shaft has implemented beautifully.

I know people sometimes don't care for the asides to some of the ancillary characters but I think almost without exception they're always really well done, including this one. Silver :unsmith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"When did I get here?" :unsmith:

Great ep to come back to after the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just goes to show how insidious and toxic a bullying environment can become, and how it takes an almost miracle to actually make a dent into it, and as we'll see soon actually doing something about it takes far greater resources/effort from a school than just scolding/punishing the bullies involved.

• Locked thread