Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This is a sort of experimental thread intended as a place to casually discuss any sort of interesting new item or opinion piece that interested you, and that you think other people might be interested in. Thoughts, jokes, or discussion about anything posted is encouraged.

Some guidelines:
---DO post any sort of news, thoughts about news, blog posts about news, tweets about news ect. that you think is funny or interesting.
---DO give your thoughts, discuss, or makes jokes about articles posted.
---DO make threads about topics that seem to draw a lot of interest

---DON'T be a human RSS feed. Only post articles if you think they're interesting or funny, or if you have something you want to say about them.
---DON'T be a dismissive dick about people who are misinformed, less informed, drew an article from a disreputable source, or simply disagree with you. Seek to inform, discuss, or convince, not insult.
---DON'T turn this into DaD Chat. Try to keep on the topic of articles posted in the last 3-4 pages at most. If discussion runs longer than that, please make a new thread! People clearly want to talk about it!

With that in mind, have fun, and don't take this thread too seriously.

A Nazi time capsule was found in Poland. It was buried in the foundation of a Nazi leadership academy at the start of its construction.

Angelina Jolie has filed for divorce with Brad Pitt after a private investigator uncovered and affair with some actress I've never heard of. Jolie apparently want sole custody of their kids.

Arms manufacturer lobbyists held a swanky party for military officials and congressmen.. A House committee member gave a speech requesting lobbyist assistance in securing greater military funding in the next appropriations bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Blue Bell went right back to giving people listeria and should probably just shut down entirely before they kill again

http://kxan.com/2016/09/21/listeria-potentially-found-in-blue-bell-products-sparking-new-recall/

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Brangelina :negative:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Blue Bell went right back to giving people listeria and should probably just shut down entirely before they kill again

http://kxan.com/2016/09/21/listeria-potentially-found-in-blue-bell-products-sparking-new-recall/

This is the worst news my grandpa ever heard.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Cheerleaders kneel during anthem. Expect a bit more of these stories going straight into football season.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/sport/howard-cheerleaders-national-anthem-protest-irpt/index.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Armani posted:

Cheerleaders kneel during anthem. Expect a bit more of these stories going straight into football season.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/sport/howard-cheerleaders-national-anthem-protest-irpt/index.html

That's amazing. HBCUs making me proud once again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Armani posted:

So if this keeps up do we finally stop playing the national anthem before everything, or do police refuse to do their jobs at any sporting event above Pop Warner level?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gyges posted:

So if this keeps up do we finally stop playing the national anthem before everything, or do police refuse to do their jobs at any sporting event above Pop Warner level?

The cops will whine like they always do, but if they refuse to work games I'm sure the NFL will just start contracting out security to a private security agency.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I hope that if they pull all their products again they give me sufficient warning so that I can fill my freezer with their delicious ice cream.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VelvetRiver posted:

I hope that if they pull all their products again they give me sufficient warning so that I can fill my freezer with their delicious ice cream.

If you live in Texas, HEB's house brand is better than Blue Bell by far. I know that's drat near heretical, but it's the truth.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

If you live in Texas, HEB's house brand is better than Blue Bell by far. I know that's drat near heretical, but it's the truth.

I dunno about that, but they're pretty comparable at least.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VelvetRiver posted:

It's just ice cream dude. Go buy some that definitely won't give you listeria, and stop giving money to a company that keeps poisoning people.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ReidRansom posted:

It can get challenging when it comes to certain flavors. Thank goodness I've found a drat-near-perfect substitute for their Cookies 'n' Cream, and not just because they don't have Blue Bell west of the Rockies.

That said, I'm boned when said substitute ceases to exist after the next Cascadia earthquake (it's Tillamook)

(also why would you willingly submit yourself to listeria gosh)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Because bluebell is god damned worth it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

fool_of_sound posted:

Angelina Jolie has filed for divorce with Brad Pitt after a private investigator uncovered and affair with some actress I've never heard of. Jolie apparently want sole custody of their kids.

You haven't heard of Marion Cotillard? She won an Oscar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't know how big of a deal this is, or even how true it is, but I've noticed a sort of blowback against this kind of narrative after the coverage of the Pitt and Jolie's break-up that the media's been way too quick to blame this either on Jolie, or on any of the actresses that Pitt has allegedly had an affair with, when reportedly the "irreconcilable differences" in the divorce claims were more about essential disagreements on how to the couple was and would raise their children, and specifically Pitt's consumption of drugs and alcohol being a bad influence on them.

To wit, in these divorce stories the wife is all too often portrayed as the flawed, even crazy person, or that the mistresses are all too often portrayed as seductresses.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/news/companies/pacnet-investigation/index.html

I can't tell if this is actually a big deal, justifying CNNs use of a 108-point headline font, or if it's just a slow news day and they are patting their own back about doing investigative journalism 60-minutes style about old people getting scammed out of their money.

But in the conventions of their site (which I should really un-bookmark), this is the font they'd use if a terrorist attack happened.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 22, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Starshark posted:

You haven't heard of Marion Cotillard? She won an Oscar.

Oh, I recognized the actress once I looked her up. I didn't know the name though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MrChupon posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/news/companies/pacnet-investigation/index.html

I can't tell if this is actually a big deal, justifying CNNs use of a 108-point headline font, or if it's just a slow news day and they are patting their own back about doing investigative journalism 60-minutes style about old people getting scammed out of their money.

But in the conventions of their site (which I should really un-bookmark), this is the font they'd use if a terrorist attack happened.
That's hilarious considering all the TVs in the breakroom are blowing up over Charlotte and I haven't heard a single mention of this story

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-37451903

A member of the House of Lords is having £3k worth of property seized by the courts because he refused to pay a fine for riding the train without a ticket.

After refusing to pay he apparently tried to challenge the decision by representing himself in court, sitting in the Prosecutor's seat when he turned up and using "I'm old and shouldn't have to pay" as his defense.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-37451903

A member of the House of Lords is having £3k worth of property seized by the courts because he refused to pay a fine for riding the train without a ticket.

After refusing to pay he apparently tried to challenge the decision by representing himself in court, sitting in the Prosecutor's seat when he turned up and using "I'm old and shouldn't have to pay" as his defense.

Oh hell, I read that as £3 and thought they were actually going to seize and auction property for the cost of the ticket itself and nearly died at the thought.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Twitter has been looking for a buyer since they apparently still haven't figured out how to monetize the thing. There's rumored to be a lot of interest, especially from Google, the company that has brought you like three or four failed social media ventures.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

Twitter has been looking for a buyer since they apparently still haven't figured out how to monetize the thing. There's rumored to be a lot of interest, especially from Google, the company that has brought you like three or four failed social media ventures.

Wait, then what are those "Sponsored Tweet" that always show up in my feed? They should just enact overage charges where they bill people a penny for every character over 140 they type. As for google possibly buying it, does google just need to own everything on the internet?

Also, since there are so many police shooting videos, should we keep each article of new ones surfacing out of here or is there room for the latest one?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-keith-lamont-scott-shooting-wife-video/index.html

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They finally arrested a clown,

Is the clown terror over?

Time will tell,

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37455073

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know how big of a deal this is, or even how true it is, but I've noticed a sort of blowback against this kind of narrative after the coverage of the Pitt and Jolie's break-up that the media's been way too quick to blame this either on Jolie, or on any of the actresses that Pitt has allegedly had an affair with, when reportedly the "irreconcilable differences" in the divorce claims were more about essential disagreements on how to the couple was and would raise their children, and specifically Pitt's consumption of drugs and alcohol being a bad influence on them.

To wit, in these divorce stories the wife is all too often portrayed as the flawed, even crazy person, or that the mistresses are all too often portrayed as seductresses.

I'd thought the divorce filing was related to Pitt allegedly verbally or physically abusing the kids. There was an incident on a private flight I guess? I don't know how reliable the report is.

TMZ: Brad Pitt Child Abuse Investigation

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is remarkably unsurprising, honestly. I know Pitt never really hid his love of substances, and I imagine it's really hard to be a regular pot smoker and a father of 6. The abuse accusations suck though. I don't give half a poo poo about celebrities cheating (I mean, it's terrible for the person being cheated on obviously, but on the grand scale of bad things celebrities could do, it's way toward the bottom. Shouts to Affleck).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Time will tell,

Local Clown Not So Scary After Demasking

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

Blue Bell ice cream is really good. Worth listeria russian roulette, imo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lime Tonics posted:

Time will tell,

Clown terror never ends.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I know it's the onion, but...

I have never seen The Onion do a takedown this brutal.

In case you hadn't heard, this is about Penn State's incredibly ill-advised Joe Paterno tribute.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

I know it's the onion, but...

I have never seen The Onion do a takedown this brutal.

In case you hadn't heard, this is about Penn State's incredibly ill-advised Joe Paterno tribute.

quote:

“You all need to know that what you are doing and saying is extremely strange and that you should stop,” said Alex Gilani, 35, of Tacoma, WA, adding that “it should be pretty obvious” that holding halftime tributes to the late Paterno, who did nothing to prevent his former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky from sexually abusing dozens of children, is totally unacceptable. “All of us find it very strange that you cheer for him during games, paint his name on signs to hold up in the crowd, and attempt to restore a statue of him on campus.”

It's a drat good takedown.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RedTonic posted:

It's a drat good takedown.

Pretty weak take down of a child molester assistant.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Darth123123 posted:

Pretty weak take down of a child molester assistant.

:shrug: I thought it on point about Penn State and appreciated the link. Is it a tone problem? Not enough "what the gently caress is wrong with you people"-style questions?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Four people were shot in a mall in Burlington. The shooter is still on the loose in the mall

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/washington-mall-shooting/

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Four people were shot in a mall in Burlington. The shooter is still on the loose in the mall

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/washington-mall-shooting/

The fact that at this point this qualifies as "Minor current events" is really sad. :(

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lime Tonics posted:

Time will tell,

The police seem to be pretty much admitting that they don't really have a very good reason for arresting this guy.

quote:

Police have warned individuals against dressing up in clown costumes, adding it could lead to criminal charges.
"Dressing as a clown and driving, walking or standing in public can create a dangerous situation for you and others," police in nearby Barbourville, Kentucky, said in a statement online.
"While dressing up is not, in and of itself against the law, doing so in public and thereby creating an unnecessary sense of alarm is illegal."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The cops are Space Station 13 players, and know better than to let a clown roam free.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Fargle posted:

The fact that at this point this qualifies as "Minor current events" is really sad. :(

This is America. That barely even registers an anything more than a typical weekday.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is America. That barely even registers an anything more than a typical weekday.

It's awful that it's only remarkable because they haven't IDed the shooter yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

fool_of_sound posted:

It's awful that it's only remarkable because they haven't IDed the shooter yet.

Well, now it looks like he's from Turkey so we should be able to squeeze some MUSLIM MENACE out of this.

• Locked thread