Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

what do you mean "why does the slutty chain mail have the better armor class?" it's magic carla, m-a-g-i-c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles

every s/o i've ever involved in a game has had their character be really standoffish or cold to the rest of the party

----------------
Poop

Anoia

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
every game I try to play in lately falls apart due to schedule conflicts... or the presence of That Guy in the group, the insufferable dude who's also the DM's best childhood pal or roommate or whatever

In the last Shadowrun game I played That Guy was a literal samurai street samurai, complete with outfit, horrible accent and poorly understood code of bushido

(he didn't think it was dishonorable to kill an old lady, stuff her body in a dumpster, and then squat in her apartment as a solution to starting off homeless)

he did all this separate from the rest of the group... the whole game was pretty much split between the misadventures of murder hobo samurai and everyone else, which was weird, but That Guy went out of his way to be a true lone ronin

despite the GM softballing him encounters, an unlucky streak with the dice still got him killed, so he sulked through the rest of the session while everyone else completed a job as a team

things naturally fell apart when he started working on his next character, which he said was gonna be even more badass, and we pulled the GM aside and said it was him or us

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i have a new guy joining my campaign this week and while i am excited that my friends think my campaign is worth playing in and want their friends to come by golly i just do not like this fellow one bit

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

food court bailiff posted:

i have a new guy joining my campaign this week and while i am excited that my friends think my campaign is worth playing in and want their friends to come by golly i just do not like this fellow one bit

Ooh, good luck. I hope your temper doesn't have a short fuse and you can remain an impartial DM

Strontosaurus

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4212468/interesting-problem%7Bthe-late-me%7D

FactsAreUseless

I'm going to be running a game starting next month for my girlfriend, my mother, and some of her friends. I wanted people to play with who weren't 20-something nerdy guys, and I needed a group of people who didn't have gaming experience but who also, due to social obligations, would have to agree to be in the game.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to be running a game starting next month for my girlfriend, my mother, and some of her friends. I wanted people to play with who weren't 20-something nerdy guys, and I needed a group of people who didn't have gaming experience but who also, due to social obligations, would have to agree to be in the game.

haha

the group of married w children guys i grew up with who drafted me to try playing again has now met twice since august for a total of about 5 hours of game time and none of us has any idea yet how 5e works or why the rules are written like a bizarre trip through a severe adhd addled mind

they are all still 1st level and most likely will never get to 2nd

Rockman Reserve

I Was The Fury posted:

Ooh, good luck. I hope your temper doesn't have a short fuse and you can remain an impartial DM

nah i'm chill as hell as a DM, my group is all mature adults who discuss things like adults when there's issues, but...d@mn this guy is just so freaking terrible

he's roommates with another player who has a habit of making things difficult at the table, so even if he does something stupid(er)* and doesn't get invited back there will be ~~~drama~~~

*motherfucker pulled a knife over a game of love letter. like, as a joke, but still, what the hell, you goddamn dork weirdo, get out of my home

FactsAreUseless

nah i'm chill as hell as a DM, my group is all mature adults who discuss things like adults when there's issues, but...d@mn this guy is just so freaking terrible

he's roommates with another player who has a habit of making things difficult at the table, so even if he does something stupid(er)* and doesn't get invited back there will be ~~~drama~~~

*motherfucker pulled a knife over a game of love letter. like, as a joke, but still, what the hell, you goddamn dork weirdo, get out of my home
Who cares about drama, ask him to leave.

Rockman Reserve

i totally will if he pulls anything stupid like that again, basically everyone told him off though.

like i said his first actual session is thurs, we'll see if he stops playin' the fool

e: i've never really bought into website stereotypes but on the other hand i was very much not surprised at all when he brought up reddit after that

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

i totally will if he pulls anything stupid like that again, basically everyone told him off though.

like i said his first actual session is thurs, we'll see if he stops playin' the fool

no one knows what your dice rolls are so just kill his character

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

haha

which game?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

haha

which game?
D&D 4e, which is the only one I like to run. Custom setting, premade characters.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

D&D 4e, which is the only one I like to run. Custom setting, premade characters.

Thoughts on 5e? I really, really don't like it but I've yet to read very far into it.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

D&D 4e, which is only one I like to run. Custom setting, premade characters.

ok, never tried the 4th or 5th

normal fantasy or something else?

FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

Thoughts on 5e? I really, really don't like it but I've yet to read very far into it.
It's trash.

FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

normal fantasy or something else?
Modern/near-future fantasy. I wanted to take a fantastic setting and extend it to the modern day in a way that felt a. natural and b. accurate to the epic adventure ideas of D&D.

The characters are the last remnants of the nobility/government of a semi-democratic nation of moon worshippers (the moon being the goddess of death and mercy) known for advances in medical magitechnology and human augmentation. The country is very tiny, wealthy, and entirely urban: think a major metropolitan area like New York or Seattle-Tacoma, and divided into a lower city and a floating upper city. It's caught between two major nations at war, and has been invaded and occupied.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Modern/near-future fantasy. I wanted to take a fantastic setting and extend it to the modern day in a way that felt a. natural and b. accurate to the epic adventure ideas of D&D.

The characters are the last remnants of the nobility/government of a semi-democratic nation of moon worshippers (the moon being the goddess of death and mercy) known for advances in medical magitechnology and human augmentation. The country is very tiny, wealthy, and entirely urban: think a major metropolitan area like New York or Seattle-Tacoma, and divided into a lower city and a floating upper city. It's caught between two major nations at war, and has been invaded and occupied.

flashbacks to phantasy star 1-3, that sounds very cool

Rockman Reserve

Luvcow posted:

my game is 5e and i like running it because it is so tremendously poo poo that nobody can tell when i make up absurd terrible crap rules and encounters

it's really bad, but runnable

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

cool

----------------

I Was The Fury

Luvcow posted:

I guess I'll be one of the few to say that I enjoy 5e. Then again, the only other system I've used to run a game was a horrible Frankenstein mix up of shadowrun, savage worlds, and my own delusion. Compared to that clusterfuck, 5e is very simple and very manageable.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

my game is 5e and i like running it because it is so tremendously poo poo that nobody can tell when i make up absurd terrible crap rules and encounters

it's really bad, but runnable

ya the two times we've played it's been 5e rolled characters running in a 2e/3e ruled world where no one questions what's happening with the rules because no one can parse through the 5e rules or really remember the 2e/3e rules anyways

I always liked a loose rule system back when I played as a kid, I am though very interested in what current 5e people think, especially if they played the other editions

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

I Was The Fury posted:

I guess I'll be one of the few to say that I enjoy 5e. Then again, the only other system I've used to run a game was a horrible Frankenstein mix up of shadowrun, savage worlds, and my own delusion. Compared to that clusterfuck, 5e is very simple and very manageable.

Ya that's my issue so far, nothing about 5e has seemed simple yet and the few simple things I've run into, like initiative, seemed to have thrown out the familiar/useful systems I grew up with. I'm glad you are liking it though and that people actually still play pencil and paper RPGs

Rockman Reserve

it really truly is simple, it's like 3.5 with a tenth of the options and a (poorly) flattened mathematical model

it's just *bad*. like if you design encounters according to the book math it is very possible to eat an entire party's brains - reversible only with one Wish spell per-victim cast within six seconds of the brain-eating - within one round of combat using monsters that would give the party about nil in XP. the very first encounter in the introductory starter set can and will kill a full-health HP character in one hit with no death saves. there are no rules for things that absolutely can and will occur, for example setting things on fire, in a game with about six hundred fire spells.

FactsAreUseless

I was thinking about airspace management in a modern fantasy setting the other day. It would make a lot of sense for flight to have developed early and be used as both the major way to ship goods and for personal transport. So the skies would be way busier, if we assume that personal magical flying vehicles are common. There would have to be a lot of regulations, international treaties, etc.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

it really truly is simple, it's like 3.5 with a tenth of the options and a (poorly) flattened mathematical model

it's just *bad*. like if you design encounters according to the book math it is very possible to eat an entire party's brains - reversible only with one Wish spell per-victim cast within six seconds of the brain-eating - within one round of combat using monsters that would give the party about nil in XP. the very first encounter in the introductory starter set can and will kill a full-health HP character in one hit with no death saves. there are no rules for things that absolutely can and will occur, for example setting things on fire, in a game with about six hundred fire spells.

I never played or knew anything about 3.5, some friends and I played a little 3e and liked it but most of the rules weren't very different than 1e/2e and the ones that were just seemed to make things more malleable.

I guess I've always been a fan of the possibility of instant death at any turn, I'm just not "getting" why some of the new rules are as they are or are so frustratingly vague. Looking through the new monster manual I'm not really a fan of what i've seen so far.

One of our old house rules was that raise dead or resurrection like spells didn't always work, left people weak for days or weeks and sometimes had negative or positive effects on the character. Also wish spells were very, very rare to come by if not nonexistent.

FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

I'm just not "getting" why some of the new rules are as they are or are so frustratingly vague. Looking through the new monster manual I'm not really a fan of what i've seen so far.
Tabletop gamers are, by and large, awful.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah that's what it looks like. When I played no one really knew about it so you had the core books and you had articles in Dragon magazine but it seems like so many people have taken my childhood memories of the game and warped it into something almost unrecognizable.

Makes me miss Gary Gygax :smith:

Rockman Reserve

Luvcow posted:

Also wish spells were very, very rare to come by if not nonexistent.

this is the way the game works rules-as-written, which is why the fact that requiring them on-hand to deal with a monster statted for level two characters is a perfect example of how dumb a bunch of the rules are and how bad the encounter math is

the monster would work really well if it was like level 8 and required several turns to eat your delightful brainmeats but mike mearls couldn't design his way out of a paper bag

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

so true

i lost all interest in warhammer after my first tournament

and i've only played rpgs with my real life friends, i've never even thought about playing with some random dudes

playing on the forums with forums friends is something that i really couldn't do because of my massive writers block, and playing online would also be difficult because of the time zone differencies, so these days i play like twice a year when everyone in my original group finds time

----------------

Rockman Reserve

i only play with real life friends too, it just happens that some of my real life friends are also real life friends with weird freaking ren fair people who are simply awful in every single quantifiable way

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

i only play with real life friends too, it just happens that some of my real life friends are also real life friends with weird freaking ren fair people who are simply awful in every single quantifiable way

imo it's better not to play than to play with idiots

just say to your friends that their cat piss friends aren't allowed to come

----------------

Rockman Reserve

Hogge Wild posted:

imo it's better not to play than to play with idiots

just say to your friends that their cat piss friends aren't allowed to come

like i said, his first sesh with the group will be thurs

since we're all pretty normal dudes and gals at my table i'm hoping any amount of standard tabletop gamer jackassery will get shut down pretty quickly but i'm going to at least give him the chance to show up and try to behave since who knows, maybe he's a legit fun player who just needs to stop acting like a high school moron

on the other hand his character is a dwarf that hates and wants to abolish the concept of "trust" and that is such laughably stupid chaotic neutral/evil bullshit that i'm already getting tons of warning klaxons going off in my head, so RIP my campaign i think

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

on the other hand his character is a dwarf that hates and wants to abolish the concept of "trust" and that is such laughably stupid chaotic neutral/evil bullshit that i'm already getting tons of warning klaxons going off in my head

haha

----------------

I Was The Fury

on the other hand his character is a dwarf that hates and wants to abolish the concept of "trust" and that is such laughably stupid chaotic neutral/evil bullshit that i'm already getting tons of warning klaxons going off in my head, so RIP my campaign i think

Oh, a classic "I'm just acting in character" of lovely backstories. Second only to "plays by his own rules and respects those who deserve it"

Also, "well dwarfman, I need you to deliver this message to the king's guard. Can I trust you with this?"
:psydwarf: "what the gently caress did you just say to me, you little bitch?"

Rockman Reserve

i did ask whether he'd be cool working with the group and he assured me his stance was more to tag along and help out and then say TOLDJA SO YOU IDIOTS when something inevitably goes wrong and they get betrayed, which could work with our group. we'll see how it plays out though of course.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

i did ask whether he'd be cool working with the group and he assured me his stance was more to tag along and help out and then say TOLDJA SO YOU IDIOTS when something inevitably goes wrong and they get betrayed, which could work with our group. we'll see how it plays out though of course.

please post here what happens

----------------

Strontosaurus

everybody just play monsterhearts imo. nothing like being a gay mummy to really shake the dust out of your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
My s/o plays a hero that is basically david bowie during the cocaine years with a holy diamond studded cod peice and has a minion minstrel that plays heavy metal on his lute and has stretch armstrong limbs.

I like that character more than the elderly Wolf-lady junk-peddler that talks like The Nanny.

It's time to retire Bowie 2.0 and i'm scared what she'll come up with next.

Dungeon World is a hell of a drug.

• Locked thread