Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what a wasted premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How did they get the bombs from that silo underground all the way into the capitol? Do they have an army of workers moving those crates all through those mucky crowded tunnels to the surface, then into trucks, then into the capitol building construction?

But yes I'm glad the gun bill passed that should help.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

How did they get the bombs from that silo underground all the way into the capitol? Do they have an army of workers moving those crates all through those mucky crowded tunnels to the surface, then into trucks, then into the capitol building construction?

But yes I'm glad the gun bill passed that should help.

Now they just have to ban controlled detonation explosive devices and America will be safe from all future terrorist attacks! :downs:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Addamere posted:

what a wasted premise

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I was catching up on episodes last night, and I can only hope beyond hope that Emily ends up being the series big-bad.

I still can't fathom casting Maggie Q in anything. Ever. This is my first exposure to her, but has she ever done anything other than blank stare? Even when she was giving her former boss a hug all I could see was "I AM HUGBOT NINE THOUSAND."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Meanwhile, in the Designated Survivor Writer's Room:

"So I was thinking, like watching all this stuff about Trump maaaan, and like, this Supreme Court stuff?"

"Yeah?"

"Like what if we didn't even like NEED to nominate a 9th Justice? Like what if we just kept going without?"

"Whoa!"

"Yeah, BOOM! Did I like, blow your mind, man?"

"Totally! Another easy fix for our country's problems!"

:boom:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That Supreme Court would still unanimously vote to cancel this show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was hoping Macleish was in the helicopter.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Holy poo poo at the Ford product placement in ep 18. That was nearly Wayne's World level stuff.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

When is the season finale so this show can be dead

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Riflen posted:

Holy poo poo at the Ford product placement in ep 18. That was nearly Wayne's World level stuff.

I was like wow they sure centered that pickup in the shot and them dammmmmmn.

Although on Bones they literally had the characters say poo poo like "oh I'll just use the Toyota Phone Link to call the lab to see what they found. Isn't that easy?"

Blind Rasputin posted:

When is the season finale so this show can be dead

If this was violence and conspiracies and no more happy political debate club fun land I'd easily rank this with mediocre seasons of 24, which I did enjoy for various reasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Calling it now: The season finale in 3 weeks will feature a cliffhanger. Not one related to the conspiracy, though, but rather, the final vote tally on a highway spending bill.

ABC had a TV series that could have been "President Jack Bauer" and they managed to make it some of the most telegraphed, boring horseshit in recent memory.

This show deserves to die. And I hope 24: Legacy was a one-off, too. Two incredibly promising (but ultimately mediocre and disappointing) shows. And I LOVE(D) 24; i've watched every season religiously. But when 24 was bad, it was still entertaining because Kiefer and his supporting castmates had the charisma to carry all the crazy or weird plot devices over the finish line every year. But this show is just meh.

But who knows? Grey's Anatomy, which i've never watched but know people who do, is seemingly on it's 67th season, and everyone tells me it crossed the "Meh" threshold a lonnnnng time ago, so we'll see what happens with this one.

I despise almost every character on this show, sans Kiefer, and even his song and dance is wearing on me as of late. They had better do something worthwhile in the final 3 episodes. The entire federal government of the United States was destroyed in a decapitation strike the likes of which the world has never seen. It's the greatest crime in human history. Yet they're dedicating entire story arcs to Aaron Sorkin-esque political debates.

In reality, if this happened, things wouldn't seemingly go back to business as usual a few weeks afterwards. There'd be martial law on every street corner and the military would probably take over until the conspirators were either caught or killed. And even then, there's no guarantee a junta that powerful would relinquish control to civilians. There'd be pandemonium in every state with Governors and local municipalities scrambling for power and the means to protect themselves, and probably even the early beginnings of a civil war depending on how Balkanized the country became. And even if the government did find a way to reconstitute itself via a designated survivor, as the system is designed to do, it would probably be operating out of a nuke proof bunker for the foreseeable future, not having it's staffers and clerks hang out at a bar down the street from Pennsylvania Avenue.

I'd watch Jericho: Jack Bauer Edition. I'd watch it like a fiend. That'd be awesome TV. But instead, we've got The West Wing: Remain Calm, All Is Well (feat. sorta Jack Bauer as a wishy-washy version of Jed Bartlett).

That's an inexcusable sin on the part of the producers and writers. I just guess I was expecting a better, more entertaining balance between a Tom Clancy coke-fueled fever dream and a 10th grade civics class.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 30, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Riflen posted:

Came here to post this. Holy loving poo poo.

Gonz posted:

Yet they're dedicating entire story arcs to Aaron Sorkin-esque political debates.

Pretty sure that's an insult to Sorkin!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

Pretty sure that's an insult to Sorkin!

Not necessarily. I enjoyed TWW. There is a time and a place for that style of writing.

This show should not be one of them.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Gonz posted:

Not necessarily. I enjoyed TWW. There is a time and a place for that style of writing.

This show should not be one of them.

:thejoke:

I'm saying comparing the writing on this show to even Bad-Sorkin's writing is an insult to Sorkin. :cheers:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

:thejoke:

I'm saying comparing the writing on this show to even Bad-Sorkin's writing is an insult to Sorkin. :cheers:

Ah. Yeah. Oh absolutely.

I'm tired. It's late.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

That's an inexcusable sin on the part of the producers and writers. I just guess I was expecting a better, more entertaining balance between a Tom Clancy coke-fueled fever dream and a 10th grade civics class.

If you're looking for this, I can recommend the Daybreak series by John Barnes. In it a group uses technology to wreck civilization and the US govt, and the books follow a group of govt officials trying to put the country back together as it plunges into chaos and civil war.

Here's the first booK:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030CVRZW/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_1

From wikipedia:

quote:

The title is a reference to Directive 51, the Presidential directive which claims power to execute procedures for continuity of the federal government in the event of a "catastrophic emergency".
In the near future, a variety of groups with diverse aims, but an overlapping desire to end modern technological society (the "Big System"), create a nanotech plague ("Daybreak") which both destroys petroleum-based fuels, rubber and plastics and eats away any metal conductors carrying electricity. An open question in the book is whether these groups, and their shared motivations, are coordinated by some conscious actor, or whether they are an emergent property / meme that attained a critical mass.
The Daybreak plague strikes, and world governments are helpless to deal with it.
Industrial civilization rapidly breaks down, and tens of millions die in the U.S. alone (the global death toll measures in the billions).
There is a presidential succession crisis.
Just as society in the U.S. seems to start stabilizing, preemplaced pure fusion weapons detonate, destroying Washington, D.C. and Chicago.
This is followed by additional pure fusion weapon strikes, which are determined to be weapons that are being created on the Moon by nanotech replicators.
A shadowy neofeudalist group (the "Castle movement") led by a reactionary billionaire may be inadvertent saviors of society ... or may have some deeper involvement in things

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Do they watch CNN and try to drop crap into the show from current events? Like, the giving money or whatever to Turkey that the lady VP candidate got caught with was a bit too much like Mike Flynn. And the tweet scene?? I almost felt like this was SNL trying to make an action tv series.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do they watch CNN and try to drop crap into the show from current events? Like, the giving money or whatever to Turkey that the lady VP candidate got caught with was a bit too much like Mike Flynn. And the tweet scene?? I almost felt like this was SNL trying to make an action tv series.

Agents of SHIELD has been worse and more blatant about this recently in my opinion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

So help me god if Kirkman doesn't suffer a facial injury in the season finale, forcing him to wear an eyepatch.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I, too, would like to see a woman become the Vice-President within my daughter's lifetime, but certainly not the President. That's for men only.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Riflen posted:

I laughed so loving hard at that I was in tears.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Now that President Perfect has solved gun control and nuclear disarmament, the TEEVEE writers will now have him focus on the next most important issue in the world, Arts Funding in Schools!"

:ughh:

Next Season: Watch as Kirkman takes care of peace in the Middle East and Abortion!"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
show is dumb so what

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Addamere posted:

show is dumb so what

FORD

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Astroman posted:

"Now that President Perfect has solved gun control and nuclear disarmament, the TEEVEE writers will now have him focus on the next most important issue in the world, Arts Funding in Schools!"

:ughh:

Next Season: Watch as Kirkman takes care of peace in the Middle East and Abortion!"

Would you enjoy a show more like real life where the president fails at everything?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Would you enjoy a show more like real life where the president fails at everything?

isn't he

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

President Jack Bauer is locked in a battle of wits as That Douchelord Republican Character tries to play through he and the Speaker's game of golf.

:smug: I'm sorry Mr President, but you're just playing too slow. :smug:

:patriot: I DIDNT ASK FOR THIS TEE TIME

* A Ford F150(tm) cruises into the shot *

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"We can't get anything done with this Congress. Sometimes I wish it operated like an assembly line, popularized in the US by Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company."

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why is an investigation into a conspiracy that killed decapitated all 3 branches of government conducted by 3 persons out of some basement?

Wouldn't it be super easy to find people who you are 100% sure are not part of the conspiracy and have them do the investigation.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im also pretty sure they could just be super open and go public "Yo, someone tried to murder everyone and preform a coup, keep an eye out for anything weird and maybe stay away from monuments for awhile"

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Riflen posted:

That was funny as heck

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I guess more like he has challenges that can't be solved in one episode with a creative left field solution or plithy speech? Maybe some more social chaos, civil war, poo poo that would actually go down if our govt was decapitated? Maybe less fanfiction about how every political hot potato would be solved if I was President by the writers? It's less about a governmental and Constitutional crises like Jericho or Last Ship and more a commentary about how easy it should be to fix basic day to day social problems.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This show is so bad and unrealistic.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Boris Galerkin posted:

While I agree that it's unrealistic, it will all be worth it when President notJack Bauer finally cracks and becomes President Jack Bauer, torturing people in the Oval Office because they refuse to pass his Health Care Plan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Astroman posted:

It's less about a governmental and Constitutional crises like Jericho or Last Ship and more a commentary about how easy it should be to fix basic day to day social problems.

On the season finale: President Kirkman comes face to face with the conspiracy's mastermind inside of Abe Lincoln's head at Mount Rushmore. But first, a speech in California about labor regulations and a photo op at a cheerleading tournament!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Boris Galerkin posted:

And incredibly boring. They took an exciting premise and turned it into a watered down West Wing crossed with another yet generic conspiracy thriller about an FBI agent investigating an insidious plot to bring down America. There's probably a dozen shows like the latter on network tv right now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This show is real bad. Also surely the thing the FBI guy did before getting shot was sending the recording to someone. Also why would the new guy say "he's in the west wing" rather than "he's in the cabinet room" also "he cloned his digital signature" also also also :psypop:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solemn Sloth posted:

This show is real bad. :psypop:
Looks like you answered your own question to me! :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.