Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Random Stranger posted:

The real question is why the head of HUD would make any difference positive or negative on a re-election campaign to make it worth firing him. Maybe he just gave a speech about how Mexicans don't deserve any housing.

Kirkman is a WASP so they might want to give the cabinet post to someone who is more diverse or as a favor to some powerful donor. I didn't take it as a "if we don't swap you out, we are going to lose the election" kind of deal but more "optimize the administration for the second term". It's basically a plot device to have him fired without him actually being at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Holyshoot posted:

Synopsis of episode two.

After the funerals, episode 2 of ABC’s “Designated Survivor” will show Alex Kirkman discover that her son is dealing drugs.:mad:

Elsewhere, FBI Agent Hannah Wells (Maggie Q) digs deeper to find answers.

However, the most interesting part of the upcoming episode is Kirkman’s interview. A reporter asks him if he was almost fired before he became the President and if he was, does he agree that he isn’t suited to lead the country? He has to decide whether to admit he was almost fired and sow doubts in the minds of the people about his leadership or deny it.

The end of episode 2 will see the White House under attack. Is this the second planned attack on the government?

This is why I loving said he should open the closet on the fired thing immediately.

Well my expectations just hit rock bottom. It's probably for the best, I should clearly approach this as a "goofy funtimes" show instead of sperging about the plot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Antti posted:

This is why I loving said he should open the closet on the fired thing immediately.

Well my expectations just hit rock bottom. It's probably for the best, I should clearly approach this as a "goofy funtimes" show instead of sperging about the plot.

Yep, just enjoy the ride and try not to analyze it too much.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Previously on 24...

Edit: Hahahaha... the governor of Michigan is the bad guy for this ep

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 29, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

honestly suprised the police are beating that kid and not just shooting him.

e: oh well i guess the end results the same

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2016

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Wasn't expecting to find a thread about this show, here. I was also surprised that I kind of, maybe like it I guess?

It's goofy, but Sutherland is a good actor and it kind of feels like X-TREME WEST WING. If you pretend you're watching "X-TREME WEST WING" it's really fun.

Anyway. Sutherland should have sent the national guard after Michigan's governor. I wouldn't mind watching another version of this show where a fully militarized game of thrones power grab happens in the wake of a similar tragedy in modern America.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aaaaaaah the loving son, no one wants to see this poo poo showrunners.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MiddleOne posted:

His hairstyle is incredibly stupid.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This show is way cheesier than I was expecting. Its really network tvish (in a bad way) huh...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Dearborn stuff was a bit of TV melodrama. I lived in Dearborn on 9/11 and I can't recall any sort of riotous backlash against muslims at the time. Not even at school, where I had a dozen classmates named Muhammed. Granted, this show's terrorist attack was on an infinitely grander scale, but still, Dearborn is a pretty chill place with regards to religion. The largest mosque in the US sits inbetween a protestant church and a jewish synagogue.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kraps posted:

His hairstyle is incredibly stupid.

They'll hopefully put him in CryoPrison after they catch him dealing hard drugs out of the residence.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This show is on the verge of becoming really dumb. If next episode they act like the Michigan thing never happened, which I have a feeling they will, it will cross the verge. So far nothing feels very impactful.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gonz posted:

The Dearborn stuff was a bit of TV melodrama. I lived in Dearborn on 9/11 and I can't recall any sort of riotous backlash against muslims at the time. Not even at school, where I had a dozen classmates named Muhammed. Granted, this show's terrorist attack was on an infinitely grander scale, but still, Dearborn is a pretty chill place with regards to religion. The largest mosque in the US sits inbetween a protestant church and a jewish synagogue.

Bit of a difference between killing 3,000 normal people and 900 of our leaders of the country.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This show gives me irl anxiety every time they talk about repopulating the government. Think about how many members of the government show up in an episode of the West Wing, and who might've died: you've got POTUS and VPOTUS, cabinet members, everyone's Secret Service details, senior WH staff (and their secretaries?), virtually everyone in the House and Senate; then there's non-government people: spouses, special guests, maintenance people, reporters from every major (and many others) outlet for every medium, and on and on. They can't even say the very common phrase "on the hill" because there's no hill anymore. gently caress.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Don't you watch the show? It's no big deal. I don't think I've seen even one person cry

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blue squares posted:

Don't you watch the show? It's no big deal. I don't think I've seen even one person cry

Who would cry over dead congressmen in 2016?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

blue squares posted:

Hey the other survivor (that was cool and unexpected) said she cried and prayed.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 29, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

FEEDSAW

blue squares posted:

someone talked about crying

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

blue squares posted:

To be fair, most of these people would be hyper-competitive career types who would cry of joy because they are up for a huge promotion after everyone else died.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The resolution to that Michigan plot was pretty lame

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Can the terrorist blow up his family so he goes full Jack Bauer mode.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MiddleOne posted:

Does network TV ever get teenagers/kids right (as series regulars)? At least in drama/action series? Hell, same question for cable TV, really. The only examples I can think of are recurring or guest stars and even that is hit or miss.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does network TV ever get teenagers/kids right (as series regulars)? At least in drama/action series? Hell, same question for cable TV, really. The only examples I can think of are recurring or guest stars and even that is hit or miss.

Action or drama no. Because it always boils down to the kid acting like an adult when they shouldn't be. Or being incredibly boring because kids and teenagers are boring and their drama is dumb. Other tv shows modern family does great with it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The drug-dealing son is seriously like some C-plot ripped straight from 24. I'm waiting for someone to torture the kid forcing Kirkman to call a missile strike somewhere.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Shameless on Showtime. Many teenagers and they're all amazing actors and characters.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nooneofconsequence posted:

The drug-dealing son is seriously like some C-plot ripped straight from 24. I'm waiting for someone to torture the kid forcing Kirkman to call a missile strike somewhere.

Kirkman will fake torture his own son to force terrorists to plant a fake bomb (which was sold via the darknet to them by the FBI) which will be found, datamined and used to extrapolate the GPS coordinates of someone's cell phone via metadata that ultimately leads to Kirkman's psychology professor from his freshman year at Oberlin that always wanted to force him into a leadership position so he can show off his *~true potential~*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kirkman will order the NSA to open a socket at some point, i'd imagine.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Set up a perimeter and open a socket.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Set up a perimeter and open a socket.

on a mac

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Shameless on Showtime. Many teenagers and they're all amazing actors and characters.

Debbie isn't. At least this last season she wasn't imo.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Holyshoot posted:

on a mac

Debbie isn't. At least this last season she wasn't imo.

Well, her latest storyline annoys me too, but having known chicks in middle/high school that wanted to get pregnant more than anything RIGHT THEN, it's disturbingly realistic. I'll give them that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Well, her latest storyline annoys me too, but having known chicks in middle/high school that wanted to get pregnant more than anything RIGHT THEN, it's disturbingly realistic. I'll give them that.

Jesus. Glad I was a prude until junior/senior year. Avoiding the crazies.

If they use his son to somehow make him do something no logical thinking person will do, I think that will be my tipping point that not even Jack Bauer can save.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

"He's using a Chromebook! It's a special type of laptop from Google that can't be hacked!"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

"He's using a Chromebook! It's a special type of laptop from Google that can't be hacked!"

Did they really use a chromebook in 24? I only remember Chloe working on a giant mac pro when she was free lancing for CTU in the last season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
You are all forgetting the most important storyline - the affair of the White House Chief of Staff guy and Kirkman's chief of staff lady. There might even be the chance that they already hooked up in the past.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

I was kind of hoping to see him slowly grow a beard and learn he's being radicalized or something.
Alas.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

blue squares posted:

When Kirkman first entered the White House it was literally a slow-motion montage of people crying in the halls.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Holyshoot posted:

Did they really use a chromebook in 24? I only remember Chloe working on a giant mac pro when she was free lancing for CTU in the last season.

I'm disappointed the White House doesn't have CISCO TELEPRESENCE anymore

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Holyshoot posted:

Not that I can remember, I'm just making poo poo up and regurgitating what I remember from absurdity of 24 - especially on the technical side. Calling a Chromebook "unhackable" is certainly within the realm of possibility for that show.

That said, I had a blast watching the early seasons of 24 with a group of buddies and a bunch of beer. It was dumb, but mostly enjoyable.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
This show got a full season pickup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not that I can remember, I'm just making poo poo up and regurgitating what I remember from absurdity of 24 - especially on the technical side. Calling a Chromebook "unhackable" is certainly within the realm of possibility for that show.

That said, I had a blast watching the early seasons of 24 with a group of buddies and a bunch of beer. It was dumb, but mostly enjoyable.

Same. Also I think the biggest absurdity was when one of the good guys(Nina) turned evil, enabled a virus through the use of a brick cell phone that then crippled CTU. Also the employees druggie brother forcing her to give her key card up was pretty bad. But that was the last or close to last season so not surprising.

• Locked thread