Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I like how the SWAT team was just chillin in the middle of a stand off and didn't bother to swarm at any point

show sucks ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

I like how the SWAT team was just chillin in the middle of a stand off and didn't bother to swarm at any point

show sucks ahahaha

yeah or those two secret service guys just chilling out wherever

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Whoever wrote that lead-in is my hero. "One leak could sink the White House. Find out next on Designated Survivor!"

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I am honestly surprised the show writers killed off Macleish's character. It is kinda like - ok, where do they go now? They truncated their main source of conflict just as it was getting interesting. They could have it drawn out a hell of a lot longer

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Come on, chopper crash...

darn

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

nooneofconsequence posted:

Come on, chopper crash...

darn

Haha. Glad someone else was thinking this, except I thought the SAMs on the White House roof would be involved because of that whole scene showing them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Literally nothing happened in that episode. It was serious trash. How many more episodes are there?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Literally nothing happened in that episode. It was serious trash. How many more episodes are there?

probably like 100

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
anyone else get the impression that the writers still have zero idea where any of this is going and are just running out the clock by winging it on an episode-to-episode basis

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If this season doesn't end with sockets being opened and perimeters being erected, then what the gently caress was the point?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching this show makes me really want to see something like La Femme Nikita, has there been a smart spy show since then?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Addamere posted:

Watching this show makes me really want to see something like La Femme Nikita, has there been a smart spy show since then?

The Americans.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did yall never watch 24, it was littered with "OK we killed off all the bad guys now here's a boring filler ep while we set up who the REAL bad guys are". Especially since aren't we into new episodes now after they got a full season order?

Also: don't know if anyone else is from northeastern PA but so far two real WNEP news people have been TV newspeople on this show.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The Americans.

Just checked out the pilot. :drat: I don't know if you specifically meant it to jive with LFN but this is seriously my jam. Thanks!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Addamere posted:

They did a remake with Maggie Q. It was pretty entertaining.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeoh posted:

They did a remake with Maggie Q. It was pretty entertaining.

I hated it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Addamere posted:

The early seasons of Homeland were pretty good. I still enjoy it, but a lot of people have gotten tired of it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Addamere posted:

Just checked out the pilot. :drat: I don't know if you specifically meant it to jive with LFN but this is seriously my jam. Thanks!

I've never seen LFN but you said "smart" and "spy" sooo :)

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Why is everyone in this show's world just super chill about the situation. In general, everyone is treating stuff like it's almost business as usual. There was the brief storyline about the rebellious governor, but other than that?

The public doesn't seem angry, the press is acting like this is all pretty normal, there's no real chaos...

What was the point of the underlying concept? The fact that the president was the only survivor and had no idea what he was doing isn't even integral to the plot.

A couple of months ago all the federal branches of government were effectively destroyed. Someone just tried to assassinate the president, and then the vice president was suspiciously murdered. How the hell is dealing with the media the only political turmoil.

What they decided to focus on as the plot for this show is just so strange. There should be power blocs struggling for control, the military pushing for things, the states testing limits, other countries trying to use the power vacuum on the world stage, radical groups of Americans. The president in this situation would likely have to push past his legal limits, which would be an interesting source of conflict. They've given lip service to some of these things, then moved on to poorly plotted conspiracy stuff.

It's gone from what should be a hugely broad story full of grey areas to one that is unbelievably focused on a few people. The world of this show is tiny.

They could have completely ignored who did the bombing and had a better show than this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One show that did that well was Jericho. I'll never forget after a half season of small town drama Skeet Ulrich finally gets out to the greater world and asks "what about the Capital?" and a guy in the trading post town says..."Which one?" and points to a map where the US now has 5 declared capital cities, all in different balkanized territories and each calling themselves the legitimate national govt.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Astroman posted:

One show that did that well was Jericho. I'll never forget after a half season of small town drama Skeet Ulrich finally gets out to the greater world and asks "what about the Capital?" and a guy in the trading post town says..."Which one?" and points to a map where the US now has 5 declared capital cities, all in different balkanized territories and each calling themselves the legitimate national govt.

Boy did you ever read my mind. Jericho was exactly what I was thinking of while reading T.C's post and before I saw yours.

Interestingly enough, one of the creators and showrunners of Jericho--Jonathan E. Steinberg--is also the creator/showrunner/often writer of Black Sails which I am currently binging and gets really good after its first season and has that similar sense of scope.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just caught up on the last two episodes and I thought they were interesting enough.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I've never seen LFN but you said "smart" and "spy" sooo :)

Well thanks a lot friendo!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

i think the overall problem is like T.C. says, the stakes are too low. Each week Kirkman gets faced with a problem that should mean the end of the Republic--military coup, coup by governors, public unrest, etc. And then he basically solves them with pluck and by "doing the right thing" which seems like it will make things worse but instead somehow fixes everything and then everyone is happy. The only ongoing danger is this shadowy conspiracy.

Another show which is unflinching in it's portrayal of a broken America where the govt is fallen and has to be put back together is The Last Ship, and there the stakes are serious and the consequences of problems are ongoing and long term. On this show there's basically a reset button every week or two.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Astroman posted:

Another show which is unflinching in it's portrayal of a broken America where the govt is fallen and has to be put back together is The Last Ship, and there the stakes are serious and the consequences of problems are ongoing and long term. On this show there's basically a reset button every week or two.

Gonna look up this show!

Thus far my favourite thing about Designated Survivor is that the something awful thread for it has led me to other, better shows. :v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

The early seasons of Homeland were pretty good. I still enjoy it, but a lot of people have gotten tired of it.

The current season is the best it's been in ages.

Not too sure about this show, like others have said the scope and the response to the US government being blown up seems off... by a lot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's been a while but I don't think Executive Orders (Tom Clancy book) really dealt with that either. We had a little bit of Jack Ryan, the ultimate Mary Sue, playing the "but I'm an independent (yeah right) how do I rebuild the government" card, and he shut down interstate travel because Islamic Fundies assassinated Saddam and launched a multi-city ebola outbreak, but in the end the good guys win and America Is Great Again.

And this was a 1,000-page book with no consideration of ratings or budget. Is there just no way to imagine this world without going completely nuts? "Oh yeah the government collapsed completely and the country was broken into tiny districts where tough guys (like myself :clint:) rule swiftly and justly."

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Jesus are they gonna write EVERY character off of this show??

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Jesus are they gonna write EVERY character off of this show??

we can only hope

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I kind of wish the whole conspiracy thing would be solved/dropped. I'm much more interested in just how he's governing.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I'm waiting for his wife to be in on something.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silly Burrito posted:

I kind of wish the whole conspiracy thing would be solved/dropped. I'm much more interested in just how he's governing.

That's the whole show though. They're clearly just hand-waving the parts you want and phoning in everything that's not 24, Starring Maggie Q.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

distant staring and desperate speeching: the designated survivor experience

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They've also somehow rebuilt the Capitol in like 2 months, when in the real world it takes 2 years to refurb the Washington Monument and that wasn't complete rubble. Basically by the end of this season it's just going to be everything is back to normal and we are watching the adventures of Earnest Boyscout President who makes mistakes has crises but solves them with some golly gee Jimmy Stewart words. I fully expect they'll be just revamping the show to be a vision of an alternate Fantasy Presidency to Trump, where they'll throw at him thinly veiled versions of real life events Trump has had to handle and show the way the writers feel he should have handled them through Kirkman.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

oh my god LEGISLATION! Such drama.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Terrorists just wiped out the entire federal government in the grandest conspiracy ever devised in the history of mankind, the Vice President was just murdered by his wife, and the reconstituted Congress is debating.............gun control legislation.

Good job, writers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yep, like I said this show has now just become a Fantasy Presidency for the writers to imagine how they would fix American Politics and all issues by using the tabula rasa of a new fictional administration and Congress.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wasn't sure if I was reading the trump thread at first.

But yes this show continues to suck and its plot is dying.

iHaveNoImagination
Jun 16, 2006
grandpa always said "If you ain't folding winning hands, you are playing too many"
But we just found a pile of bombs in Wyoming or someplace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Astroman posted:

Yep, like I said this show has now just become a Fantasy Presidency for the writers to imagine how they would fix American Politics and all issues by using the tabula rasa of a new fictional administration and Congress.

How can I go live in that reality?

• Locked thread