Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be honest it kind of irks me that people are all over Westworld as though it was the best thing ever. All of the issues with this series are in that series but it's more subtle because the story jumps all over the place and apparently that is art. In both series there are storylines that are unnecessarily drawn-out and which could easily be condensed to about half as many episodes. But one is on HBO and the other features Maggie loving Q so everyone applauds the one and rightfully sits on the other. But why not poo poo on the first one too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Addamere posted:

To be honest it kind of irks me that people are all over Westworld as though it was the best thing ever. All of the issues with this series are in that series but it's more subtle because the story jumps all over the place and apparently that is art. In both series there are storylines that are unnecessarily drawn-out and which could easily be condensed to about half as many episodes. But one is on HBO and the other features Maggie loving Q so everyone applauds the one and rightfully sits on the other. But why not poo poo on the first one too?

I dunno, I like them both? :shrug:

You have to admit, Westworld was probably the most talked about show in TV IV in a long time. (Back before the thread was closed for God knows what reasons).

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Finally ran out of DVR stuff to watch, so I watched the last episode.

Jesus christ, Maggie Q, turn on a god damned light so you don't freak the IT guy the gently caress out when he comes in.
Ping the cell tower and zoom & enhance is bullshit...its still bullshit...it was bullshit 10 years ago and still is. Stop relying on it.
If you're an FBI agent and you have credible evidence about a threat to the POTUS, particularly in light of recent events, you notify him.
McLeish's wife using him as a puppet was kind of funny.
Injuries only hurt when you lift up your shirt and look at them.
Maggie Q gets all banged up in a car accident, and while she is napping, not only does she make an incredible recovery, but her shirt washes itself...if I'm not mistaken, it washes itself between the time she gets out of bed and comes down the stairs at the apartment.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think she was wearing IT guy's clothes that she borrowed.

Not making excuses for all the other stupid.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah that was funny because it was the exact same outfit the IT guy was wearing, ie--he has 20 sets of the exact same clothes because IT.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
IT Guy was Craig on Degrassi so his scenes are extra funny to me

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay. So right from the start i've been watching this show with the firm idea that it's actually Kiefer that is behind everything. He's the one pulling all the strings (though he gets blindsided by things too). It gets better that way.

Bombs were brought in during a renovation, the bomb shelter got built too. Who's the minister of buildings and urband development? Who stood to gain the most from blowing the poo poo out of corrupt washington? And who'd actually have a motive to want to get rid of corruption (hint its the guy who's entire administration was corrupt shits (the NSA leak guy) while he was clean as a whistle. And still was about to get fired.)

(its still a poo poo show but its tolerable)

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Affi posted:

Okay. So right from the start i've been watching this show with the firm idea that it's actually Kiefer that is behind everything

This would, indeed have made the show tolerable. Good thinking!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just got around to watching the midseason finale on OnDemand, and there's absolutely no way that Aaron Shore is involved in the conspiracy, is there? It just seems too obvious, right? There's gotta be a fakeout at some point.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I quite enjoyed this and I don't care what anyone says Maggie Q is a straight up bad rear end in this.

I look forward to the next season

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ElwoodCuse posted:

IT Guy was Craig on Degrassi so his scenes are extra funny to me

Holy poo poo what. Now I have to go back and watch this again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, it was mentioned earlier on this page, but LOL that hacking music.

I was half expecting Fisher Stevens to roll into the room on a skateboard.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Why does this not come back until March for gently caress's sake? Isn't standard fall/winter/holiday break return time sometime in January? Are they doing this to kill the show and any following it might have on purpose or is there a simpler reason?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why does this not come back until March for gently caress's sake? Isn't standard fall/winter/holiday break return time sometime in January? Are they doing this to kill the show and any following it might have on purpose or is there a simpler reason?

They're testing the mid-season break format, is my thought. It's dumb as poo poo but honestly, this show isn't that great and if this kills it off, so be it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what airs in its slot now

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Addamere posted:

so what airs in its slot now

Season one of Designated Survivor returns on ABC on March 8th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

e: disregard, I thought Netflix aired the episodes simultaneously with the american broadcast :shobon:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

VoLaTiLe posted:

I quite enjoyed this and I don't care what anyone says Maggie Q is a straight up bad rear end in this.

she's involved in a really bad plot and the contrived nonsense that prevents her from advising the POTUS of the info about McLeish is lolworthy levels of terrible, but I agree; her actual character portrayal itself seems totally fine to me

not sure why all the complaints tbh :shrug:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Forgot this came back tonight, but I managed to catch it. Still enjoyable, but I wonder if everyone else has forgotten about it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Silly Burrito posted:

Forgot this came back tonight, but I managed to catch it. Still enjoyable, but I wonder if everyone else has forgotten about it.

Yeah didn't know it came back. Will have to watch the recording.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Trip report; show is still hot garbage.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would have forgot about it but for subscribing to this thread, which has three replies since I checked it last and so now I know it's back. :toot:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So who was shot?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The President, which puts the sinister henpecked puppet VP in charge at which point he deliberately tanks the markets.

I spent most of the episode screaming at Maggie Q to just loving lay it all out and take her chances that at least some of the people she's talking to aren't in on it and able to see how obvious a conspiracy it all is.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I did not get the VP from a plot perspective at all. He's finally president, but for like 8 hours. So he tanks the stock market which is a totally pointless move since it bounces back almost immediately. What was his huge game plan? Was he supposed to launch all our nukes or something in those 8 hours and repeal the bathroom bill? Like, I just genuinely do not understand his motive for wanting to be president besides "evil".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kingtheninja posted:

So who was shot?

I forgot that was even the cliffhanger and I watched the new episode.

The glacial plot of this show is not helped by extended breaks.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

I did not get the VP from a plot perspective at all. He's finally president, but for like 8 hours. So he tanks the stock market which is a totally pointless move since it bounces back almost immediately. What was his huge game plan? Was he supposed to launch all our nukes or something in those 8 hours and repeal the bathroom bill? Like, I just genuinely do not understand his motive for wanting to be president besides "evil".

I presume that they bought up a particular stock to gain control of a company that will trigger yet another plot device. Either that or the classic, buy low, sell high, for a quick addition to the war chest. Now, this may be a likely motivation for the current administration, but doesn't make for much of a continued conspiracy for the show. In any case, I'm sure that the reason will reveal itself in time. If they place the reveal far enough away, we will have forgotten the context and not realize it if it was nonsensical.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

IRQ posted:

I forgot that was even the cliffhanger and I watched the new episode.

The glacial plot of this show is not helped by extended breaks.

Yea, pretty sure it's only gonna hurt their ratings, not help.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Sentinel Red posted:

I spent most of the episode screaming at Maggie Q to just loving lay it all out and take her chances that at least some of the people she's talking to aren't in on it and able to see how obvious a conspiracy it all is.

as mentioned I don't have a specific issue with Maggie Q herself but the way her character -- a supposedly seasoned FBI agent -- is written is just lmao levels of retarded

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Homestar Runner posted:

as mentioned I don't have a specific issue with Maggie Q herself but the way her character -- a supposedly seasoned FBI agent -- is written is just lmao levels of retarded

BUT CONSPIRACY WHO CAN SHE TRUST!!!

She's probably just a big fan of 24 and understands that there is a minimum of 1-5 traitors in every government agency at any given time.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
hello Agent Hannah Wells, I'm Agent Mike Ritter, Secret Service

:stare:

I understand you have some very important intel for the President

...uhh, something about Vice President MacLeish

This is literally your only chance to talk

so you just want to rot in jail, huh

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Homestar Runner posted:

hello Agent Hannah Wells, I'm Agent Mike Ritter, Secret Service

I understand you have some very important intel for the President

...uhh, something about Vice President MacLeish

This is literally your only chance to talk

so you just want to rot in jail, huh

lol this was literally that scene.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
This show had been gone so long I forgot what most of the plotlines were and it may have been better that way.

VP Evil was hilarious. 'Tank the markets! Shoot to kill! Start work on my volcano lair!'

'...sir you're only gonna be president for like 45 minutes here.'

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Well I drat sure didn't expect that

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was certainly an episode :stare:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

did they let the FBI guy out of prison just because his son died?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nooneofconsequence posted:

did they let the FBI guy out of prison just because his son died?

It seems so! I mean I guess it seems somewhat implied that he might have recanted once he found out the news but that's clearly not explicit.

And also that episode ending was pretty out of nowhere, yeah. But it does make whatever the conspiracy is seem all the more big and sinister.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well that was certainly one way to handle it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, the immediate issue is resolved but no one knows why, no one knows what the exact idea was regarding the stock market (tank the economy or enable a takeover of particular companies?), and evil lawyer lady et al are still out there.

Hannah's ex-boss was dumb as gently caress about the whole thing, regardless. As soon as he was told his kid was still missing he should have just recanted their and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah what was that ending? It doesn't feel like there's anywhere to go for he bad guys now?

• Locked thread