Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My concern is how they deal with the family stuff. After watching FlashForward and Last Resort, I don't have patience for ABC-mandated family drama subplots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember after 9/11, congress also had a DS for both the House and the Senate for both parties each. Not sure if that would be a plot point on the show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought this was an decent follow up. The only thing that felt super "network"-ish to me was the end-of-the-episode montage with music. I'm going to miss Sean Callery's frenetic score superimposed over splitscreens of everyone. The son was annoying again, but he didn't have too much screen time this episode. I laughed at the line making the point that the governor was normally A Good Man.

Kal Penn's story have been a bit ham-fisted, but I appreciate that the show wasn't going to fully ignore the backlash attacks that would most certainly happen. But I did roll my eyes a little at the "We Are All Americans" moments.

Also, I'm reminded of the Polish plane crash that wiped out off a huge chunk of the top of the government in 2010. It's still nothing compared to DS, but some people were talking about history and historical precedent.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 30, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's a lot of network stupid, but the story's still rolling along, and they didn't waste our times too much with the family drama.

Nitpicky poo poo:
- The dead first lady is barely mentioned. Shouldn't they pay respects to her too? Put her casket alongside the POTUS? The son didn't have too much to say about his mom.
- I don't understand why they didn't set the service in the National Cathedral. TV shows faked it before.
- The Congresswoman is a Representative, right? The Senate confirms Cabinet members and judges. Reps don't. IRL, the Senate and House has to confirm an unelected VP appointment, which only happened twice in history. Also, it might take a few in-universe few days to happen, but the states should be starting to appoint Senators for the ones that are confirmed dead. For non-US viewers, the rules depend on each state, and the replacement serves until one could be elected by the state. Also, I guess the Congresswoman could technically elect herself speaker, but they haven't finished the recovery efforts, so technically they'll want to wait a bit longer before they have a symbolic Speaker election.

More realistically, the dude probably shouldn't have become CoS after undermining the president with that leak, even if he justifies it as acting on the president's interests.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Holyshoot posted:

Also where are all the dignitaries and heads of state from other countries? In London has Fallen everyone went to the UK Prime ministers death. Didn't look that way for the President of the Unites States of America funeral.
I could flimsily justify this with the government being stretched to thin to be able to protect other heads of state. The Secret Service has been partially wiped out, and coordinating security with other countries after a huge attack on the capital is a logistical nightmare.

It's a rushed state funeral to legitimize the awkward transition to a new POTUS.

Ultimately, they're bending a lot of the rules of how it would work IRL, and it's best to not think too hard about it. But that won't stop me.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And they had another drat IT.

Not bad an episode. I wasn't expecting 24; just something that's more entertaining than most network trash, which this show seems to be so far. Even the conspiracy plot is moving along without much of the Lost bullshit.

The only thing I think was slightly, I wouldn't even say bad but, eyebrow-raising just for me, is the whole "First Lady as the President's therapist giving the 'you did what you had to do' speech" scene, which for some reason always has me raise an eyebrow; because 24 largely avoided that while other TV dramas with a POTUS do it.

So how many 24 alumni are on this show? Kiefer, Kal, and Mykelti Williamson? Fake edit: Kevin McNally and Michael Gaston were in 24 too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I caught up on the last three episodes and found it all to be entertaining enough.

Yeah, the family subplots suck.

I did't find Maggie Q's plot bad. At least up until she got his by the car. Now that's just stalling. I guess FBI guy's son got returned? Internal affairs never picked up on him ever missing in the first place?

The worst parts were still the moments when the West Wing-corny-cheese creeps in about the aura of the Office. Like when the voters headed to the polls in large numbers because they were inspired by the president's gestures. Or how the whistleblower deduced Kirkman is a good man because reasons.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was going to say "this show sucks, but I'm going to keep watching it anyway". but it turns out this is the last episode until March.

So, maybe I will drop it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think she was wearing IT guy's clothes that she borrowed.

Not making excuses for all the other stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just caught up on the last two episodes and I thought they were interesting enough.

• Locked thread