Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also shetland ponies are the worst pet. they are slightly hardier than a full-size horse but still die if a raindrop falls on them the wrong way, they're too small to be ridden, they can't be used for work, and they have foul hateful personalities. miniature horses have most of the above problems and are just as fragile if not more than a real horse, but at least they usually have fairly chill and pleasant natures. but if you're going to get a fool ungulate eating machine for any reason other than to be your mighty steed, for gently caress's sake just get a goat (goats are delightful pets) or a miniature donkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Cockmaster posted:

I don't suppose you've been to the "Bad With Money" thread over in Business, Finance, and Careers. Quite a bit of that thread is stories of people buying horses without having made the slightest effort to understand what the gently caress they were getting into.

Yeah, I have not read that thread but I don't doubt it. My maternal grandfather bred and raised this unique breed of horse (Peruvian Passo I believe) and he took a lot of pride in being one of a handful of people who brought the breed back from the brink. (Or so he claimed, I have no loving clue.) But even he said it was a huge money pit. He said he lost at least one horse a year to its own idiocy and that it was a nightmare.

Horses: The worst.

Avshalom posted:

also shetland ponies are the worst pet. they are slightly hardier than a full-size horse but still die if a raindrop falls on them the wrong way, they're too small to be ridden, they can't be used for work, and they have foul hateful personalities. miniature horses have most of the above problems and are just as fragile if not more than a real horse, but at least they usually have fairly chill and pleasant natures. but if you're going to get a fool ungulate eating machine for any reason other than to be your mighty steed, for gently caress's sake just get a goat (goats are delightful pets) or a miniature donkey

You know, you make a valid point. Ponies are all the negatives of having a horse without any of the benefits. I rescind my judgment.

Ponies/miniature horses: The worst.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Psychobabble! posted:

Same roommate that I had the ferrets with I mentioned got a green cheek conure. We worked staggered schedules so I got home earlier than her, and the drat bird demanded attention the second I walked in.

I love my GCC to bits but it is hard for me to imagine a clingier animal.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
If it weren't for tiny horses then we would only have regular sized horses and the thought of a tiny horse would be just that, a thought. I think any animal that can crush your skull with a single kick if it's spooked by the sound of hay shifting makes a bad pet though so yeah I guess that's a good addition to the worst pets thread

Avshalom posted:

i will always remember walking my dog down the street in sydney late at night (he had a bit of gastro so needed to be taken out to empty himself) and this tiny old woman comes half-running along being towed by a german shepherd bigger than she was, she saw my dog and her face went white and she started screaming "CROSS THE ROAD! CROSS THE ROAD! HE'LL KILL YOUR DOG!"

obviously i crossed the road and my dog survived but drat :stare: imagine having to go through that every single time you encounter another dog in public. i'm guessing she had to walk at night (it was about 11pm) because the dog was so aggressive and too big for her to control

:stare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't like having head lice much when I was a kid.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love my GCC to bits but it is hard for me to imagine a clingier animal.

I love birds but I'll continue loving them from afar. Of course said roommate didn't do any research on them before buying it and eventually gave it away to a friend(who now apparently has another bird friend(cockatoo maybe? Not sure), and run of the entire trailer with branches running the ceiling :3:. Seems like a much better set up and he's probably a lot happier.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A Shoggoth is a pretty bad pet.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I love wild birds (I have 2 bird tattoos) but I'll never own one as a pet again. There's one picture of 12-year-old me with my hateful lovebird, Sunshine, on my shoulder, and my head is as far to the other side as it could possibly go. She was a vicious bitch.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Tim Jong-un posted:

A Shoggoth is a pretty bad pet.

Have you seen how much tank volume your average Deep One takes up? Saltwater life with exotic feeding requirements and the ability to wreck your pumps suck.

I now keep small freshwater fish and finches. Both are surprisingly unfazed by the cats, and none of them have yet tried communing with the elder gods.

Birds can still be a pain though.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Maremmas, uncastrated Billy goats or Rams.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dogs, dogs are the worst pets

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jenner posted:

I honestly think horses are the worst pet. They're stupid, they're expensive, they are prone to sickness and injury, they get spooked at everything and anything and they are a lot of work and effort. Even the hardier breeds are still quite fragile. Horses are just the worst.

And your average horse will only be in prime riding condition for 10-15 years max. Then they'll hang around for another 10-15 increasingly expensive years out of sheer spite. Horses are assholes, and knowingly take full advantage of it no longer being socially acceptable to turn them into glue.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Avshalom posted:

Shetland ponies/miniature horses can pull carts and even do farm work, they were used for work in coal mines after all. They are mostly jerks because people get them for their children and don't bother doing any training themselves. Or they treat the horse like a dog and expect it to respond the same way.

pictured: ponies earning their keep :3:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Bert Roberge posted:

Keeping a colony of fire ants might be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnDOovsmfg

Mother of God....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qF5_P2e_T0

:stare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'll vote for iguanas. The first day I had mine he bit me and got loose and crawled inside my heater. I got him out safely by disassembling the heater but that was about par for the course. He hated human interaction and showed it by whipping his tail like a champ. He also loved to poo poo in his water dish. By the time I sold him he could break skin with his tail whip attack and he was only 3 feet long. He was gorgeous though, and I sold him to a dude with an iguana room in his basement. Males benefit from iguana love dolls, so you can look forward to cleaning up a stuffed animal with lizard jizz on it.

If you have an iguana room in your basement or you live somewhere that keeping it outdoors in a screened off area is feasible they can be pretty cool pets, but that's probably 1 out of every 1,000 iguanas that gets sold.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Frogs, how can I show my love if I can't pet them?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

waggles posted:

Frogs, how can I show my love if I can't pet them?

:frog::respek::unsmith:

its cool.... we know you are cool.

some tasty bugs are nice though

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Bud K ninja sword posted:

:frog::respek::unsmith:

its cool.... we know you are cool.

some tasty bugs are nice though

I hear you have to pull off the cricket's legs in order to feed the frog, I am incapable of doing that and refuse to have someone else do it. So for now this is me looking at my frog pond:

*Edit* Bad news, my brother's dog got sick part of it due to the pond so it's going away. :smithfrog:. Possible good news, I might get an indoor pet frog :frogbon:.

waggles fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 25, 2017

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I vote for snakes. I'm not phobic of them myself, but it seems like the only reason anyone keeps them around is for shock value. Ooooooh, I got a snake look at me! Want to see it's grotesque feeding ritual? That's good cause it pretty much just lays there in its hot box the 99℅ of the time it isn't grossly devouring a rodent. No dude, it doesn't have a personality. It's a big nasty reptile.

That having been said, I do kinda like those little green tree snakes that eat bugs and stuff. That'd be sort of neat to look at but I don't want a giant death serpent lurking and waiting to escape and freak out my neighbors or slither into a wall or heating duct only to rot and stink.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Tapeworms are lovely pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Thoatse posted:

Tapeworms are lovely pets

I dunno, I've heard they can be really helpful with weightloss.

• Locked thread