Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I love dogs and work with them, but for me it's pugs, and improperly trained German Shepherds. Pugs are often desperately unhealthy, almost always wildly obese, and they're the toughest nail trims by far. It's like trying to wrestle with an angry squirming potato. Their personalities are ok and many are quite sweet, but they're all dumb as a bag of rocks and their constant struggle for breath unnerves me. No thanks.

GS are lovely dogs when trained but lately there's been a spate of young, first-time dog owners buying a puppy (often with already apparent health issues; ie knock-knees) and then just...not training them. Or they think one puppy class is enough, and never do any reinforcing. I've been working with THREE such couples at my job recently, and one bit the owner, a highschool-aged girl, in the hand so hard she bled. She was just like 'yeah he does that.' I'd say 80% of our highly reactive dogs are GS where I work.

I guess that's really way more about the owners then the dogs, but I decided a long time ago German Shepherds are at the bottom of the list (with pugs) as to dogs I'd ever consider owning. Good for you if you have one and care for it though! They are beautiful even if they're not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ That bit about the ferrets is HILARIOUS, good god. A Poop Graveyard sounds like a good username.

But yeah, GSDs seem to rarely be owned by someone who knows what they're doing. When they are, they're amazing. When they aren't, they're not only annoying as gently caress but also super dangerous. It just makes me so sad to see a dog that would blossom in another environment being crated 9 hours a day, taken for one 10-minute walk, and grossly overfed/under trained. It's not specific to GSDs (high energy breeds all have this issue to some degree) but where I live they seem to be the poster dog for this sort of behavior between owner and pet, and unfortunately it's colored my entire opinion of the breed. Not proud of that but it's also saved my rear end a couple times when I blatantly disregard the owners (he's fine! He's just *anxious*) to muzzle the dog for a nail trim because gently caress no, being bit in the face once was enough for me.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

I love wild birds (I have 2 bird tattoos) but I'll never own one as a pet again. There's one picture of 12-year-old me with my hateful lovebird, Sunshine, on my shoulder, and my head is as far to the other side as it could possibly go. She was a vicious bitch.

• Locked thread