Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best mod
This poll is closed.
Zorak 77 32.63%
Beef Waifu/Baal 33 13.98%
Bad Seafood/The Mod 70 29.66%
Matoi Ryuko 21 8.90%
Namtab 35 14.83%
Total: 236 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why would anyone ban talking about Azumanga?
It might have been in the 'no more threads about it' memorandum along with Eva and FLCL to stop the aprox. 12 threads a day that used to get posted about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted:

Mate you think your look is iconic when you post with namtab

No idea what this means, lol.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It might have been in the 'no more threads about it' memorandum along with Eva and FLCL to stop the aprox. 12 threads a day that used to get posted about them.

No one may talk about *throws dart* chobits!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

I'd like to congratulate my friend and also ask why there's an anime forum?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you have added a quality gif of a robot that transforms into a bunch of little balls with one that goes "MEH, MEH" left and right before reforming into the robot to your sig, I see

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

you have added a quality gif of a robot that transforms into a bunch of little balls with one that goes "MEH, MEH" left and right before reforming into the robot to your sig, I see

Yeah he is cool and the right just the right size!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah he is cool and the right just the right size!

Dunno what he's from though. Might be a custom. Looks vaguely megaman baddie-ish

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Harime Nui posted:

I'd like to congratulate my friend and also ask why there's an anime forum?
What is ADTRW?

ADTRW stands for Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse, and is the anime subforum at the Something Awful Forums. Lowtax came up with the name when he created the forum to keep the anime crazies out of GBS. As a result, ADTRW has the honor (?) of being one of the first subforums on Something Awful.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad there's an anime forum, because if you say "anime" on almost any other forum on this website a bunch of weirdos will come out and say some real dumb poo poo. Incidentally, I'm really glad Seafood finally added the long awaited "you must like anime" rule.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's important i talk about how much i hate anime any time it even tangentially comes up or people will think i might like anime and that would be devastating to me as a person

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 'best' thing is that extends to Japan and you can't even mention it without someone telling you what a lovely country it is, like every country doesn't have problems.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Posting anime in TFF or GiP is like fishing with dynamite, it owns in a terribly unsporting way.

Although I get why GiP hates it, because a surprising number of broke-brained spergs like to join the military and annoy everyone with their hobbies before getting weeded out. It's triggering.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's weird to me that GiP is anti-anime, everyone I know who's served comes back with stories about how everyone is a huge nerd. Maybe that's just the Navy, though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For me, the weirdest part is how it's specifically "Anime" that triggers these people to flip out. Like, cartoons from other countries like the good old U.S. of A. are okay, but Japanese cartoons? Too much.

If you lump all amine together, you might as well just lump together all of animation.

Julias fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Relin posted:

ADTRW stands for Ainu Daughter Traps Ravenous Wildlife

Please get it right.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The 'best' thing is that extends to Japan and you can't even mention it without someone telling you what a lovely country it is, like every country doesn't have problems.

America is such a lovely country

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's weird to me that GiP is anti-anime, everyone I know who's served comes back with stories about how everyone is a huge nerd. Maybe that's just the Navy, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrSS058pjWw&hd=1

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

No idea what this means, lol.
<---------- true iconic ava

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted:

<---------- true iconic ava

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Mako-chan is basically the best anime character T/F

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cephas posted:

F. She is good, but not the best.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Cephas posted:

Insanely T

Congrats on finding out who kill your dad and becoming forum mod, Ryuko

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that poll doesn't include goku in the anime forum smdh

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Okay, so this seems like as good a thread as any to ask: what's the deal with Zorak's time as mod? There seems to be some kind of story here, but I can't figure out exactly what it is beyond a general "he banned the pedos, which was good, but then went mad with power."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
All I remember about Zorak was that he was often a pretty strict mod and his probations were usually longer than the 6-hour ones Baal and Bad Seafood hand out

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One of his last actions as mod was protecting somebody who posted in his irc from accusations of pedophilia, until Lowtax had to step in and make the ban himself.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Most of Zorak's time as mod was pretty solid as he cracked down way harder on creeps and pedos then his predecessors and made ADTRW mostly readable.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

except for that aforementioned time he let his pedophile buddy keep posting VNs about wanting to gently caress preteen girls because he was gay and therefore doing so was extremely cool and good

Really though there's also the fact Zorak basically just poisoned the well by making GBS threads on every show or genre he wasn't into and setting the discourse to be overly negative. You either like what precious few shows Zorak was into or you watched shows ironically or hatewatched them. I think there were even cases where people got probated for committing the crime of publicly liking a show Zorak disliked?

There's a notable shift in tone after Zorak quit and Baal and Bad Seafood started modding where people start watching Japanese cartoons because they like doing so and talking about how they enjoy watching shows more than how they hate it and that anime is ruined forever and hell, I prefer the new ADTRW where liking things is good and not bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there's no point posting on internet forums where no fun is allowed.

there's no real point anyway but doubly so

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there an anime about moderating a discussion Web forum
Durarara

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

a cartoon duck posted:

except for that aforementioned time he let his pedophile buddy keep posting VNs about wanting to gently caress preteen girls because he was gay and therefore doing so was extremely cool and good

Really though there's also the fact Zorak basically just poisoned the well by making GBS threads on every show or genre he wasn't into and setting the discourse to be overly negative. You either like what precious few shows Zorak was into or you watched shows ironically or hatewatched them. I think there were even cases where people got probated for committing the crime of publicly liking a show Zorak disliked?

There's a notable shift in tone after Zorak quit and Baal and Bad Seafood started modding where people start watching Japanese cartoons because they like doing so and talking about how they enjoy watching shows more than how they hate it and that anime is ruined forever and hell, I prefer the new ADTRW where liking things is good and not bad.

He also had a fixation on how the board was supposed to be structured that didn't really align with how people wanted to post. No general discussion thread, couldn't post about shows in the season thread after the 3rd episode, megathreads discouraged (other than his pet toku and mecha threads), so if you wanted to post about a show you had to make a separate thread with a proper OP for it even if you wanted to just post a few jokes about a show that hadn't gotten enough of a following to maintain a thread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
zorak getting brutally owned by haki in one piece was great after he threatened to probate people who didn't agree with him

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There is an old Love Live SIF thread in the games forum, because people didn't think it could exist on ADTRW during Lord Zorak's reign. He was good for the forum in a lot of ways, but not in every way.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Did Zorak once make a thread about how slice of life isn't a real genre or am I thinking of someone else?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

a cartoon duck posted:

can't believe you don't recognise famous anime character Sailor Moon

my eyes seem to have completely skipped her. it might be because her skirt is purple, and not blue

i don't know who this is

i know who this is but i do not see her in the sig in question. is she the tiny face in the tiny box that looks to me like it could be basically anyone

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eeevil posted:

Did Zorak once make a thread about how slice of life isn't a real genre or am I thinking of someone else?

That's a strange way of saying the best genre

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Eeevil posted:

i think that was a post in a season thread

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

i don't know who this is

GiP? It's the military subforum, Goons in Platoons (or I guess Captain Napalm's Thermonuclear League of Liberty at the moment?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eeevil posted:

I think so

• Locked thread