Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best mod
This poll is closed.
Zorak 77 32.63%
Beef Waifu/Baal 33 13.98%
Bad Seafood/The Mod 70 29.66%
Matoi Ryuko 21 8.90%
Namtab 35 14.83%
Total: 236 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't believe Zorak was real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Zorak actually liked anything, or at least not anything anime related.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

Eeevil posted:

Did Zorak once make a thread about how slice of life isn't a real genre or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah I remember that thread, but not if he made it or if he just wanted to end discussion in it. If i remember correctly, Zorak made the argument that the only real genres are the genres from like greek theatre, so like tradgedy, comedy etc.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ali Alkali posted:

Yeah I remember that thread, but not if he made it or if he just wanted to end discussion in it. If i remember correctly, Zorak made the argument that the only real genres are the genres from like greek theatre, so like tradgedy, comedy etc.

lol what the hell

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

At least that implies that if slice of life isn't a genre, then neither is shonen or mecha or sports or magical girl or whatever.

I think it's silly but I appreciate that it isn't just weird hating on slice of life shows

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

I don't think Zorak actually liked anything, or at least not anything anime related.

What was the anime that made zorak cry

I'm pretty sure he liked that one, at least

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shoujo/Shonen/Josei/Seinen are demos really, and contain the multitude of genres.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also something probably worth mentioning is that when zorak was made a mod, he was a teenager

I dunno if he had graduated high school yet

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

What was the anime that made zorak cry

I'm pretty sure he liked that one, at least

It was Gurren Lagann. He cried because his waifu Nia died.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Shoujo/Shonen/Josei/Seinen are demos really, and contain the multitude of genres.

Yeah, and mecha and sports are more subject matter than proper genres, while slice of life is more just a lack of an overarching plot I guess?

I can see where zorak is coming from in that argument (theoretically, I have not read the actual post/discussion in question)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

It was Gurren Lagann. He cried because his waifu Nia died.

I thought the famous post mentions "I haven't ever cried like this, not even gurren lagann made me cry like this" or something along those lines

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak is a nuaced, human character with likeable traits but very real flaws, I hope he gets his own spinoff anime exploring his character more in depth

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

I thought the famous post mentions "I haven't ever cried like this, not even gurren lagann made me cry like this" or something along those lines

He cried multiple times during gurren lagann.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For all the other things you could say about him, Zorak was right about the chat thread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

For all the other things you could say about him, Zorak was right about the chat thread

would he approve of your excellent dog thread????

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've not watched gurren lagann is it something to cry over

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's less sad than diebuster, and less good also.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what genre is it? and for the purposes of this question sports, josei, shounen, slice of life and all the others count

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

what the gently caress are those poll results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mecha

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if u really wanna cry watch kanon or angel beats

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't relaly watch anime any more tbh outside of rare cases like OPM or jojo's

i want a baki anime with all the new insanely cool stuff in

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

debatable

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't remember Zorak saying the chat thread was good and filled with cool people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't remember Zorak saying the chat thread was good and filled with cool people.

unless they have all read baki this isn't true

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

badki

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

voltcatfish posted:

what the gently caress are those poll results

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

The Devil Tesla posted:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

feel free to share why you think the chat thread is bad instead of just leaving it vague and nebulous

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trihugger posted:

There is an old Love Live SIF thread in the games forum, because people didn't think it could exist on ADTRW during Lord Zorak's reign. He was good for the forum in a lot of ways, but not in every way.

Not really true, it got made in the games forum because it was a game and got unmercifully poo poo on because that was when you couldn't talk about anything anime without posters coming out of the walls to call you a creep.
We had a Love Live anime thread while Zorak was in charge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

feel free to share why you think the chat thread is bad instead of just leaving it vague and nebulous

you all apparnetly don't like baki. a heinous crime to be sure

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

a cartoon duck posted:

Peanut gallery posting and dogpiling, probably, which have since been curbed for the most part.

I mean there's still only a few of us who've read Baki but you can't have everything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

I remember he said that it would get clique-y and cited that as the reason why he didn't want one

Unavoidable with a lot of chat threads of course, comes with the territory for better or worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I mean there's still only a few of us who've read Baki but you can't have everything.

its the sign of a good and correct poster

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jose posted:

you got me there

Srice posted:

I remember he said that it would get clique-y and cited that as the reason why he didn't want one

Unavoidable with a lot of chat threads of course, comes with the territory for better or worse.

I kinda get that. I mean, I thought that myself before posting in it, but then I also just started posting in it so I feel it's pretty accepting instead of just keeping the out-group out.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'll usually post in most chat threads until whatever clique there at the time decides to run me out. I've been posting in chat threads for years now. I'm as close to a chat thread exclusive poster you can get to, I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'll usually post in most chat threads until whatever clique there at the time decides to run me out. I've been posting in chat threads for years now. I'm as close to a chat thread exclusive poster you can get to, I guess.

have you read baki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Jose posted:

have you read baki?

I've read a few chapters...I also like Ippo. I remember when the grappler baki anime was on sci-fi.

• Locked thread