Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah. I wonder who you bring in who isn't going to do something stupid like gut the roster because he believes in one specific defensive/offensive philosophy, though.

Edit: Oh god, I just figured out where Jim Schwartz is going after this year.

You can say a lot of bad things about Schwartz but he'd make that defense really scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How does the Jags roster look? like a 5-6 win team?

No way better than that. I was thinking 8-8 but hoping for 9-7 and sneaking into the playoffs in a poo poo division.

They had a great draft and free agency this year. Notables include Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gibson, Chris Ivory, and Julius Thomas finally pulling weight.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Metapod posted:

You can say a lot of bad things about Schwartz but he'd make that defense really scary

I'm not saying bad things, I'm saying I was hoping he would stay in Philly for more than a season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Metapod posted:

Im hoping he stays for a few years and realises that he will just be vilified if he fails in another HC job

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

They don't even let him have his passport back

Your avatar :lol:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Your avatar :lol:

Yes I know, as I am the one who gave myself this avatar

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Yes I know, as I am the one who gave myself this avatar

Excellent choice, sir.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Magnetic North made it for me, thank you Magnetic North

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have a theory about guys missing the rest of the season after you put a crying jordan on them in an avatar

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

NC-17 posted:

He hired Gus Bradley, an unknown commodity, and gave him four years to make it work. You can't throw bones at him about that. Gus hired his own staff.

Gus was the dude that put together the Seattle defense so unknown is a bit of a stretch. I thought most people considered it a great hire at the time.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah. I wonder who you bring in who isn't going to do something stupid like gut the roster because he believes in one specific defensive/offensive philosophy, though.

Edit: Oh god, I just figured out where Jim Schwartz is going after this year.

You aren't getting Jim Schwartz. He is too fresh in his role as DC in Philly. However, there is a DC in the mile high city who is definitely ready to he a head coach again and definitely won't continue to suck poo poo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What I'm saying is that Jacksonville will hire Wade Phillips.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
My 100% incorrect hope is after the crappy head coach experiences and year off, Jim Schwartz has turned into one of those DCs that's now a lifer and has no interest in being a head coach again. The Eagles pay him like a head coach and he wrecks a face for years to come the end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Gus was the dude that put together the Seattle defense so unknown is a bit of a stretch. I thought most people considered it a great hire at the time.

Pete Carroll is a defensive coach, which is easy to forget after that USC run where they ran up the score all the time. I agree that it was viewed as an at least good hire but I never trust hires from the dominant side of a head coaches experience.

It does seem to be working out for Doug Pederson so far though I'll admit.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Pete Carroll is a defensive coach, which is easy to forget after that USC run where they ran up the score all the time. I agree that it was viewed as an at least good hire but I never trust hires from the dominant side of a head coaches experience.

It does seem to be working out for Doug Pederson so far though I'll admit.

Ok, that's a good point. But I don't think hiring Gus reflects badly on Khan at all or anything

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I got nothing against the Jags or Gus Bradley, but I *would* enjoy the visceral thrill of seeing interim HC Doug Marrone.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The team is talented enough that the season could conceivably be salvaged with the right person. I've rarely seen such a clear example of bad coaching holding a talented team back.

What TE coaches are looking ambitious?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a new study bible! posted:

What I'm saying is that Jacksonville will hire Wade Phillips.
I think Phillips is actually on record saying that he makes a better coordinator than head coach

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Intruder posted:

Magnetic North made it for me, thank you Magnetic North

You're welcome. With JJ being on IR, I was thinking of continuing to alter it by adding little animated pain lightning bolts, but I think that by the end of football season, you will have suffered enough.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

I think Phillips is actually on record saying that he makes a better coordinator than head coach

Wade reminds me of Norv Turner except as a defensive mind - really good guy, players liked him a lot and played hard for him, but his teams were sloppy and he got outcoached.

Though, quick question for the Broncos fans in the forum, does anybody know why they fired Wade after the 94 season?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Durandal1707 posted:

Though, quick question for the Broncos fans in the forum, does anybody know why they fired Wade after the 94 season?
Mike Shanahan was who they originally wanted in '93 but he ended up staying with the Niners for two more seasons (don't remember exactly why). After finishing 7-9 in '94, the fact that fans were calling for Phillips' head and Shanahan became available after winning Super Bowl XXIX lead to Phillips being the odd man out and the Broncos scooping up Shanahan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

31 isn't old for a pocket passer with good mental skills. It's not unreasonable to look for at least 5 more years of productivity out of such a player.

He gets hit alot in and out of the pocket. He may not age as well as you'd expect.

• Locked thread