Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

Brees has been compiling garbage time stats for three straight seasons now

I think he's happy to do it. Brees has always been a stat chaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

indigi posted:

Brees has been compiling garbage time stats for three straight seasons now

And its gonna let him smash Peytons all time yards record

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Woke up and the Rams are currently 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference. I will enjoy this for 5 days before they get blown up by the Cardinals in Arizona on Sunday.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DariusLikewise posted:

Woke up and the Rams are currently 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference. I will enjoy this for 5 days before they get blown up by the Cardinals in Arizona on Sunday.

You should be thanking Jeff Fischer :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

the only answer for the saints is letting brees go, cutting everyone, and doing the two year rebuild. The team cannot compete the way they're structured.

the people at the top (and I think most of the fans honestly) have decided it's best to limp along with Drew than completely rebuild and actually compete in 2-3 years.

To do a meaningful rebuild they either need to get a competent Front Office (yeah right) or stumble onto another HoF QB coming off a terrible IS THAT ANDREW LUCK'S MUSIC?!?!?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Good thought but the Colts are stuck with Luck (heh) for at least another 3 years after this one now thanks to that monster contract. If they cut or traded him after this year, they'd have 13 million of dead money on the books for both 2017 and 2018.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nail Rat posted:

Good thought but the Colts are stuck with Luck (heh) for at least another 3 years after this one now thanks to that monster contract. If they cut or traded him after this year, they'd have 13 million of dead money on the books for both 2017 and 2018.

Yeah, that's about when the Saints would be out of cap hell and capable of spending money on an injured QB who might never be able to return to form. Interestingly enough that narrative has already begun taking shape in the form of Andrew "Literally Had lacerations On His Internal Organs" Luck.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

How many teams that do a complete rebuild are actually competitive in two or three years? Especially if they don't manage to land the first pick in the draft to get a franchise QB?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Seattle and Minnesota come to mind. Obviously you do need to find a QB but i think the harder thing is the patience it requires.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

NippleFloss posted:

How many teams that do a complete rebuild are actually competitive in two or three years?
The Broncos managed to do it after canning McDaniels.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, that's about when the Saints would be out of cap hell and capable of spending money on an injured QB who might never be able to return to form. Interestingly enough that narrative has already begun taking shape in the form of Andrew "Literally Had lacerations On His Internal Organs" Luck.

Luck would be 31 like two weeks into the first season the Saints could have him then. They got Brees when he was 26.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

WHOOPS posted:

Seattle and Minnesota come to mind. Obviously you do need to find a QB but i think the harder thing is the patience it requires.

sam bradford lmao posted:

The Broncos managed to do it after canning McDaniels.

Then you've got teams like the Browns or Bills or Jaguars or Buccs or whatever that are just constantly rebuilding because it requires a lot of things to fall just right to work.

Or you might be the Texans or Raiders who rebuild themselves to middle of the pack and may never do much better.

I'm also struggling to think of any team that had a QB who was playing at a high level that they let walk so they could start their rebuild earlier rather than paying him what good QBs make in the NFL.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

NippleFloss posted:

How many teams that do a complete rebuild are actually competitive in two or three years? Especially if they don't manage to land the first pick in the draft to get a franchise QB?

KC rebuilt in like 1 year thanks to Andy and Alex coming to town along with Pioli and his players leaving (to Atlanta)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I watched a small bit of the game last night and I think there is a pretty solid argument for Jairus Byrd being the most overpaid person in the league.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Trufant continues to be quietly one of the best corners in the league:

quote:

Brandin Cooks vs. Desmond Trufant in coverage per #NextGenStats.

29 pass plays (out of 54)

5 targets, 1 catch, 9 yards 39.6 passer rating.

Granted, Brees didn't need to even attempt much at Tru with Spoon and Alford getting beat repeatedly, but dude is legit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nail Rat posted:

Luck would be 31 like two weeks into the first season the Saints could have him then. They got Brees when he was 26.

31 isn't old for a pocket passer with good mental skills. It's not unreasonable to look for at least 5 more years of productivity out of such a player.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Sean Payton must be fired.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

Rich Gannon had the best season of his career when he was 36 going on 37

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 27, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nail Rat posted:

Luck would be 31

:corsair: guess it's time for you to cut Luck and start tanking for a new prospect then!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Goetta posted:

I watched a small bit of the game last night and I think there is a pretty solid argument for Jairus Byrd being the most overpaid person in the league.

I remember being excited about the Eagles pursuing him when he was a free agent, because like just about every year except this one for about the past decade, the Eagles have had a hole at safety. I know he got hurt, but I'm still more or less happy with how things have shaken out not signing him.

Speaking of which, holy gently caress Malcolm Jenkins is good.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

NippleFloss posted:

Or you might be the Texans or Raiders who rebuild themselves to middle of the pack and may never do much better.

Raiders were 3-13 two years ago. Their rebuild is almost complete, it's a bit early for "never do much better" narratives. Texans are also a QB away from being a legit contender.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

warcrimes posted:

Raiders were 3-13 two years ago. Their rebuild is almost complete, it's a bit early for "never do much better" narratives. Texans are also a QB away from being a legit contender.

In the context of talking about the Saints needing to burn it all down to rebuild the Raiders and Re instructive because they did that and are basically exactly where the Saints are now...a good offense that needs to be great all the time because the defense is pretty bad. And it's unlikely to even be that successful because they probably won't find a QB that quickly once Brees is gone.

And there are a lot of teams that are a good QB away from competing and don't really get any closer. The Saints have a good QB for a couple more years at least, but for some reason people think they need to cut bait so they can go from mediocre to really bad sooner in the hopes of maybe eventually being good again.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

So you're saying the Raiders peaked and have no where to go but down. I dig it. I'm feeling those vibes man

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So you're saying the Raiders peaked and have no where to go but down. I dig it. I'm feeling those vibes man

Siemian is a trash man and your team is sputtering on fumes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If siemian turns out to be good, I will almost be angry at how lovely he was at northwestern, but mick mccall is garbage.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Trevor the Trash Man takes out the garbage every week

prepare your bodies and hold onto your butts, this ride is just getting started

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
siemian toast crunch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
what part of training hard for success involves being a tissue paper baby bitch hole JJ

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
jj can shop for dresses during his time off

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

jj can shop for dresses during his time off

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
So if the jags lose in London Gus is done right.....please validate this hope for me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheLightPurges posted:

So if the jags lose in London Gus is done right.....please validate this hope for me.

I said this earlier in the hot seat thread but you kinda don't want this to happen. Just because Doug Marrone would probably do better and you do not want to hire that man long term.

And it'd be him, I can't imagine anyone else on that staff getting an interim hire.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

Dennis Allen got fired before the Raiders even flew home from London, so there's precedent.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

I said this earlier in the hot seat thread but you kinda don't want this to happen. Just because Doug Marrone would probably do better and you do not want to hire that man long term.

I think Khan would want to clean house, he seems like a smart guy, and the Jags probably have the worst coaching staff in the league.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Volkerball posted:

Dennis Allen got fired before the Raiders even flew home from London, so there's precedent.

Did they let him take the team plane home?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

NC-17 posted:

I think Khan would want to clean house, he seems like a smart guy, and the Jags probably have the worst coaching staff in the league.

A smart guy who hired the worst coaching staff in the league

Nov 6, 2002

He hired Gus Bradley, an unknown commodity, and gave him four years to make it work. You can't throw bones at him about that. Gus hired his own staff.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

NC-17 posted:

He hired Gus Bradley, an unknown commodity, and gave him four years to make it work. You can't throw bones at him about that. Gus hired his own staff.

How does the Jags roster look? like a 5-6 win team?

Nov 6, 2002

They look like a roster that should be winning the garbage AFC South.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

NC-17 posted:

They look like a roster that should be winning the garbage AFC South.

Yeah. I wonder who you bring in who isn't going to do something stupid like gut the roster because he believes in one specific defensive/offensive philosophy, though.

Edit: Oh god, I just figured out where Jim Schwartz is going after this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Did they let him take the team plane home?

They don't even let him have his passport back

• Locked thread