Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No disrespect to The Godfather Part II, because it's a great movie, but the original one was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBpHO1gZgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMQRfmrlA0

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When they would show Godfather 1 on network tv they would cut to a commercial right after Michael asks to use the bathroom. Then after the break they'd pick up like way after. Literally sinful.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I agree op

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I think Godfather is a little more focused than Godfather II, and it lets the movie resonate more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I think Godfather is a little more focused than Godfather II, and it lets the movie resonate more.

Agreed, I think focus is a good way to put it. Its just a tighter, more streamlined film while of course still having that epic quality that makes it so timeless.

Godfather 2 has DeNiro as Brando though, so its a close race. I rarely watch one without watching the other very soon after.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Let's just agree Godfather III was bad

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Vegetable posted:

I think it's under-rated. Not great, but it's fine.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I think I prefer the second one overall. It actually tries to make you empathize with Vito and what he did (at least to an extent), but juxtaposes that with Michael having all the power that Vito risked everything to gain and still being miserable. That said, none of this would have any resonance without the first film, so...

Vegetable posted:

It's not bad. Just a mediocre movie that doesn't need to exist and only does because Coppola needed the paycheque. The idea of Michael trying to become legit and failing horribly at it is kind of interesting, though.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 23, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vegetable posted:

It's alright, just not a masterpiece like the first two are. It would be pointless to make a megacut of all three films, but as a standalone movie it's okay.

Also, agreed OP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They're both quite good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're both quite good.

Definitely. But it's like comparing two high-end menu items, they're both good but it's okay to have a preference for one or the other.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I prefer "how's the food in this Italian restaurant" and Sonny's fake punches to almost anything in Godfather 2, despite the fact that the second is a better movie in every way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No disrespect to The Godfather Part II, because it's a great movie, but the original one was better.

Discuss.

I mean, yeah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Parts of Godfather 2 are better than the original. The scene where Michael drives to Hyman Roth's house in Miami is amazingly tense and ominous even though, obviously, nothing is gonna happen. Everything that happens in Cuba is amazing, and the "YOU BROKE MY HEART" scene is probably the best moment in the franchise.

But as a whole it isn't better than the original. The problem is that the fact it's two separate but closely-linked movies sandwiched together. But I will say that if it had been entirely the De Niro's segments it would be clearly the better of the two.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced because my favorite characters, Brando's Vito and Clemenza, were only in the original (and I agree with Clemenza's actor that the original plan of making Clemenza the character who goes to the Feds would've made no sense for the character).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 23, 2016

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I definitely lean towards the first film. Seeing the fall of Michael from where he was at the beginning, drat

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Both are great films, but the first is one great scene after another. I'm not the biggest Brando fan, but his performance is deservedly iconic. Especially the scene where he visits the undertaker.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First is a better whole, coherent, experience, the second has better individual scenes and has more interesting themes going on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The first is better if only because the 2nd can get kind of muddled with the Michael Corleone section and the various plots with the government investigation and his dealings with Hyman Roth.

As for Godfather part 3, I finally ended up watching it, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. In fact, I think the final section to that movie involving the opera house was genuinely interesting to watch.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My favorite part about rewatching these movies is Tom Hagen. You don't notice the first time round but on rewatches you see how he tears up for the Don's death and messes with the Senators at court. He's the character that Godfather III really needed (and was supposed to be about).

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I still haven't seen a Godfather movie. I should probably change that one day.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is one of my favorite scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idP5-vtkhBE

"You can act like a man!"

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I've never been huge on Part II. While it has great individual scenes, the whole thing feels like a combined prologue and epilogue to the true story that already occurred in the original, and Michael's story in particular feels like a prolonged reiteration of what the final half hour of the original had already conveyed far more elegantly.

It's weird, the quality is absolutely there, but separated from the first it feels incomplete, and with the first it feels redundant. I've never seen in it what so many other people have, and these days I just accept it as a major blind spot of mine.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I've started to realize that one of the problems with Godfather III is that too many of the actors in it grew up with The Godfather and let that inform their performances. They act like they think people in a Godfather movie should act, rather than just acting like gangsters in 1979 New York. I guess that raises the question of whether the Godfather movies exist in the Godfather universe?

I'm going to echo a lot of the thread when I say that Godfather II has a lot of great scenes but it feels like a supplement to the first. The rise of Vito Corleone is great stuff, but it wouldn't work without intercutting Michael's story. That said, while there are great performances in it, the actual details of Michael's story are so banal that it's harder to get worked up over. Trying to tie the whole thing into the American involvement in Cuba and the revolution feels a bit forced, and at the end of the day the movie starts to drag when we get into the details of what the Corleones are trying to do.

That being said, I'm forever grateful it gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXyG1R2MhQ

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sethsez posted:

I've never been huge on Part II. While it has great individual scenes, the whole thing feels like a combined prologue and epilogue to the true story that already occurred in the original, and Michael's story in particular feels like a prolonged reiteration of what the final half hour of the original had already conveyed far more elegantly.

It's weird, the quality is absolutely there, but separated from the first it feels incomplete, and with the first it feels redundant. I've never seen in it what so many other people have, and these days I just accept it as a major blind spot of mine.

That's basically how I feel about II. It's great, but it's never quite clicked with me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

vols bitch posted:

I still haven't seen a Godfather movie. I should probably change that one day.

You should! I hadn't seen them until I picked up the blu-ray collection when it was super cheap, and I really regretted having waited so long after I did.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

GonSmithe posted:

This. Part II is scattered and plotty. And dare I say, boring in parts. Part I is a tight well-oiled machine.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

(and I agree with Clemenza's actor that the original plan of making Clemenza the character who goes to the Feds would've made no sense for the character).

I loved Clemenza too and thought part II was worse off without him, but I always thought he didn't do the movie because of money. I can see the sense of this, though too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish they would've kept the Michael Corleone parts in The Sicilian. It would've been cool seeing a young Pacino running around the hills of Sicily.

Anyone see the Godfather Epic, where they cut 1 and 2 together? They've been running it on cable the past couple of months, but I haven't had a chance to catch it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sethsez posted:

I think a big part was that people expected the sequel to have the quality of a...French Connection 2, and it ended up exceeding those expectations and even making the original a little better by building on it. Exceeding expectations makes a movie better received.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Both are neck and neck, in my opinion, but this thread is a great reminder for me to go back and re-watch them. And that is a quality I don't find much in movies anymore: the ability to re-watch a movie.

True story: the actor who played the opera singing son in Godfather, Part III, Franc D'Ambrosio, also played the Phantom in the San Francisco production. I got to see it, and he has a nice tenor range. I still prefer the first two movies, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Anyone see the Godfather Epic, where they cut 1 and 2 together? They've been running it on cable the past couple of months, but I haven't had a chance to catch it.

I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has seen this and if so how the pacing works out compared to watching them separately. Do the De Niro sections work without the context of the first movie? (I would think probably)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite scene in Godfather III is this one because of how over-the-top and out of place it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8eEM9KDig

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
That helicopter scene always struck me as being really cheap.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
How different would the third movie have been had they gotten Winona Ryder as intended? Would it have been any better? I always wondered that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Artsygrrl posted:

How different would the third movie have been had they gotten Winona Ryder as intended? Would it have been any better? I always wondered that.

Considering that Sofia Coppola is a horrendous actress there's no way it could have been worse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That whole character was a bit misguided though, I don't know if having a better-than-god-awful actress would have salvaged it.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
That and the really weird love story. :banjo:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Considering that Sofia Coppola is a horrendous actress there's no way it could have been worse.

Winona doesnt save that movie though. Coppola gets too much blame for being the most obvious had part of a massively bad film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hate so much that Tommy Hagen isn't in that movie.

• Locked thread