Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I've never been huge on Part II. While it has great individual scenes, the whole thing feels like a combined prologue and epilogue to the true story that already occurred in the original, and Michael's story in particular feels like a prolonged reiteration of what the final half hour of the original had already conveyed far more elegantly.

It's weird, the quality is absolutely there, but separated from the first it feels incomplete, and with the first it feels redundant. I've never seen in it what so many other people have, and these days I just accept it as a major blind spot of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zwabu posted:

Godfather II has the nice clever parallel Vito/Michael stories

I actually really dislike this, if I'm being honest. The issue is that Vito's story was clearly meant to parallel Michael's journey in the first movie (after all, it was in the original novel and for a time was considered for the first film until George Lucas convinced Coppola that it was a distraction and Vito stood on his own without it, a choice I agree with), so its inclusion in the second results in a Michael story that's been written to mirror it, which means we wind up covering a lot of the same ground in a way that feels a bit forced and arbitrary. Michael was already corrupted completely at the end of The Godfather, so watching him get even worse just so Vito's story would have a parallel didn't give us anything new.

But, again... I admit Part II is just a massive blind spot for me. There are individual scenes that I love, but as a whole movie I actively dislike it.

• Locked thread