Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Welcome to Season 3 of The Flash! Last season may have had some bumps in the road, but I'm optimistic this season might be better.
I want this read to be fun and not get bogged down by petty fights (which I realize are inevitable..) so this OP is going to be happy and light and lots of gifs, so enjoy!
I wanted to try to float the text, but I couldn't figure out the bbcode so the formatting is a little weird but that adds to the charm. :3:
The Flash is coming back October 4th, at 8:00pm on the CW. Now on to our amazing cast!

(Grant Gustin)

Barry Hitler Allen, AKA The Flash! His mother was tragically killed by a speedster called Reverse Flash, and his father was jailed for the crime.
Detective Joe West adopted him, an he grew up with the love of his life, Iris. He is an honorary member of the West Family (#blessed) and Joe treats him like he's always known he'd be his son-in-law, which is very prophetic!
Barry spent most of last season being a murderer and continuing to hold people in the meta-human equivalent of Guantanamo Bay.
Barry dated Police Brutality Patty™ for a little while but the shippers hated her, so the CW put her on a bus to somewhere else.
Barry continued his meta-human murder spree and became emo as hell. Last time we left Barry Allen he kissed Iris West goodbye and reset the future and Flashpoint Paradox, here we go!
This season we will see what Barry has sacrificed in his quest to save his mother's life at (apparently) any cost.

(Candice Patton)

Iris West is Barry's best friend and soulmate. :love: She's a journalist for the Central City News, and brings light to issues like domestic when she isn't tracking down meta-humans.
She is tough as nails and originally wanted to be a cop, but her father was dead set against it. She has gone up against many bad metahumans and come out on top, without or without The Flash's help.
In season one Joe and Barry were kind of assholes to her due to plot and kept in the dark about Barry's Superhero alter-ego. Iris figured it out however, when she touched Flash's hand and there was a spark.
She had a fiance a one point, but he's dead now and no one else really cares. She grieved for awhile and realized that she loved Barry, but Barry is a jerk and went back in time because he doesn't know how to learn from his dumbass mistakes.
Iris is amazing and beautiful and an inspiration to young women and little girls everywhere.

Pictured: Barry and Iris being adorable.

(Jesse L. Martin)

Joe West is a (good?) detective and Iris and Wally's father. He took Barry into his home and fostered him after his mother was killed and his father was jailed.
Joe's a strict, but fair parent. He raised both Iris and Barry as a single working father, which I think says a lot about his character.
He values his kids and even though they make mistakes, I'd say he did a good job, considering the circumstances surrounding Iris' mother running away, the murder of Barry's mother, and the incarceration of Barry's father.
He genuinely loves Barry and their scenes together are arguably the best in the show.

(Keiynan Lionsdale)

Wally West is Iris' brother and Kid Flash! Wally has come a long way.
Their mother, Francine was a drug addict, not a pathetic, racist trope at all.. and passed away almost immediately because gently caress character development for the West family after Iris and Joe came into Wally's life.
Wally loves street-racing and has a lot of fun comic relief lines. He has potential to be a great character, let's see if the writers are competent enough to flesh him out and put some focus on his relationship with his new family.

(Carlos Valdes)

Cisco Ramon is an engineering genius. He's cute, he's funny and he gets the honor of "code-naming" all of The Flash's enemies.
Cisco, along with Caitlin Snow is an integral part of Star Labs. He's also an irreplaceable part of Team Flash. He recently discovered he was a metahuman, and has many incredible powers.
One is that he can "Vibe" between alternate universes and see events that took or will take place there.
His wardrobe is also fun and endearing.

(Danielle Panabaker)

Caitlin is a former scientist at Mercury Labs and a bio-engineer at S.T.A.R. Labs. Caitlin is a dedicated member of #TeamFlash and provides medical support for the team.
Caitlin is also the widow of the late Ronnie Raymond. She also becomes the metahuma Killer Frost in Earth-2, and everybody is waiting for them to drop that hammer in E1, but no one knows if it will really ever happen or not.
Caitlin is a good friend to everyone and when Iris saved her from a metahuman, she returned the favor. They are a cute team and I hope they get more scenes together!
While I hate people who want to promote black erasure by claiming Caitlin should be the female lead, I'm not here for people tying to pit them against each other either.
They could have a real solid friendship if the writers put work into it, and I hope that they do! :)

Pictured: Iris and Caitlin being badass friends who have eachother's backs.

(Tom Cavanaugh)

Dr. Harrison Wells is super complicated, so just go read his wiki, because ooooh boy.
E2 Wells recently went back to his universe, but now that Barry Flashpointed the old timeline out of existence, it's possible that E1 Harrison will be alive and kicking.
Also still still possibly loving with that particle accelerator. Or he'll be Thawne again. Who knows! poo poo's complicated, yo.

So in the hope that season 3 will be better paced and written than the last.I hope you enjoyed my gif spam. Let's have fun this time around!

(will be added to as the thread grows)

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That's a good rear end OP

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Flash Season 3 - Flashpoint to where The Flash Flashed you

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like it should have some under construction GIFs for the full experience.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the new season is good. That trailer didn't look promising tho.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
When should I look forward to watching the first episode of this season on the CW Network?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Missing Link posted:

When should I look forward to watching the first episode of this season on the CW Network?

The Flash is coming back October 4th, at 8:00pm on the CW.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

With the very top being cut off on that A in Allen I thought for a second it said Barry Hitler.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

tsob posted:

With the very top being cut off on that A in Allen I thought for a second it said Barry Hitler.

Well he does kill metahumans extra judicially, and lock them up at his whim... Maybe you're on to something!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

tsob posted:

I saw the same thing and did a double take.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I too read it as Barry Hitler

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I got Barry Atler

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I too read it as Barry Hitler

The Flashpoint timeline is more different than Barry anticipated.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

The Flashpoint timeline is more different than Barry anticipated.

I changed the post to reflect that. I actually though about using replacing those before posting but in the end I thought it fit the theme.

Anyway have some cute non-spoiler pictures from the set this season:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I feel like after yet another character death I kind of zoned out the ending with the time travel. So I am excited to see how it plays out and is hopefully not completely undone in the 7 thousand episode season they have.

Also I'll be volunteering at a local con next year and look who I get to meet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
drat, Hunter's "fake Jay" Flash costume was so much cooler than what they eventually dressed Shipp up in. It had that classy retro timelessness to it, like the Rocketeer's outfit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

drat, Hunter's "fake Jay" Flash costume was so much cooler than what they eventually dressed Shipp up in. It had that classy retro timelessness to it, like the Rocketeer's outfit.

Yeah, "airbrushed shadows around the pecs to try to make them look more prominent than the gut" is not a great design

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, "airbrushed shadows around the pecs to try to make them look more prominent than the gut" is not a great design

i'm gonna try to do this with all my shirts now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzq5H2qAyh8

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It seems like this could go either way. Hoping for the best!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first part of that trailer looked like a lot of fun

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry was actually smiling and being casual fun again. That's why half that trailer is already better than half last season. Fun Barry - Great. Brooding Barry - Annoying.

All we need now is yet another Wells whispering "Fun, Barry. Fun." and it might be a good season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Having annihilated an entire universe, Barry is finally, truly happy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I really want someone with more skill than I to edit one of the trailers for the new Timeless show to have the villain who is traveling through the timeline and changing the past be Barry. Patty is in the show too, it's basically perfect.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I am interested to see what they do with STAR labs. According to the earlier seasons, without the intervention of reverse flash, the accelerator shouldn't have been completed for another twenty years. Without the accelerator explosion, there shouldn'the even be any meta humans in Central City.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good lord who is that in the black? I thought Zoom's suit was a bit lazy and uninspired, but that is too far in the other direction. Also it looks like O.G. Eobard is back? I can't remember what the dude looked like and I ain't going back to check.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Klungar posted:

I really want someone with more skill than I to edit one of the trailers for the new Timeless show to have the villain who is traveling through the timeline and changing the past be Barry. Patty is in the show too, it's basically perfect.

Is that why she left the cast? I hope she comes back :ohdear:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I hope that for as long as this show runs, Cavanaugh plays a different version of Wells each season. He's been great and seeing him riff on his own performances has been half the fun of the second season.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Where's the speedforce gif? Can't have a flash thread without the speedforce gif.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Test Pattern posted:

I hope that for as long as this show runs, Cavanaugh plays a different version of Wells each season. He's been great and seeing him riff on his own performances has been half the fun of the second season.

As long as around season 8 we get every single version of Wells on screen at once.

Crisis of Infinite Captain Bubblebeards

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Is that why she left the cast? I hope she comes back :ohdear:

They wrote her off because of huge negative feedback since people wanted him to be with Iris.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Test Pattern posted:

I thought E2 Wells was a lot less interesting than Thawne Wells. A lot of that is probably the fact that Season 1 was a lot better and built around Thawne Wells, but still.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't know whose idea it was to make the OP look like it's straight outta 1995 GeoCities, but bless them and bless this thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I don't know whose idea it was to make the OP look like it's straight outta 1995 GeoCities, but bless them and bless this thread.

T'was I fam

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought E2 Wells was a lot less interesting than Thawne Wells. A lot of that is probably the fact that Season 1 was a lot better and built around Thawne Wells, but still.

E2 Wells was interesting because instead of pretending to be inspirational but having a secret agenda, the guy was just a huge dick. Not evil, but almost amoral in how little he really cared about anyone but his daughter (at least until near the end).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

E2 Wells was interesting because instead of pretending to be inspirational but having a secret agenda, the guy was just a huge dick. Not evil, but almost amoral in how little he really cared about anyone but his daughter (at least until near the end).

It's disappointing that they never really managed to muster the whole competition between vaguely sinister, manipulative Harry and lantern-jawed boy scout Jay Garrick over the position as Barry's mentor for the season, at least not as much as the showrunners seem to think they did. It would have made the reveal of Jay/Hunter's true identity a bigger deal, I think.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's disappointing that they never really managed to muster the whole competition between vaguely sinister, manipulative Harry and lantern-jawed boy scout Jay Garrick over the position as Barry's mentor for the season, at least not as much as the showrunners seem to think they did. It would have made the reveal of Jay/Hunter's true identity a bigger deal, I think.

Yeah I've said before but this seemed like that was the entire plan for the season and would have been a really great arc. My best theory is that they played down Jay's role to try and throw people off the scent that he was actually Zoom, but in doing so they made him a non-character for most of the season. So instead of mentor vs mentor vying for Barry's trust, you had one dude who was very obviously a red herring (dick Wells) and one dude who was supposedly living a quiet life offscreen somewhere.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

They wrote her off because of huge negative feedback since people wanted him to be with Iris.

jesus stop listening to fans stop listening to the fans

we all have horrible opinions and none of us have left our basements why would we know anything about love

what is wrong with CW :stonk:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wally being a secondary Flash is going to be weird. They already have one hero fast enough to reverse causality, and they already have a terrible time trying to write around that fact, so are they really gonna have him keep his new powers after Flashpoint?

Ooh, maybe Barry will paradox himself out of existence. Then they'll just need to bring back Linda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

They wrote her off because she was a guest star with a specific episode number contract. And the actress has been hinting that she's in negotiations to appear on the show again.

• Locked thread