Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The one with the legion of superheroes was way better.

E-- on mobile.was responding to last post of last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so excited for Flashpoint and to see how they adapt it for the TV show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Martout posted:

and that they don't forget to give Iris stuff to do
Or Caitlin. She spent most of last season just hanging around in the background with Jay.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want him to show up in Supergirl. A weird, kinda dark, street-level hero for her to team up with. Basically her Batman

I'd argue for Batwoman instead. An ex-military, distant cousin to Batman who moonlights as a punk partier and is assisted by her father in her operations. There's also the lesbian thing, but it's not super big outside of her backstory

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were already big rumors that Batwoman would appear on Supergirl.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Or Caitlin. She spent most of last season just hanging around in the background with Jay.

Yeah they really need to do better for both women on this show tbh. Caitlin is supposed to be a brilliant scientist with an icy exterior who warms up when she cares about you. Not some starstruck girl who tells people with concussions to take naps.

I still have hope.. idk why.

Here is an advanced review: http://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-season-3-premiere-advance-review-flashpoint/25907

Interesting bits:
Barry Allen has almost everything he wants in this new world… except for one thing: Iris, who doesn’t really know him well in this altered reality, yet seems drawn to him in the same way he is to her. This season premiere might be one of the best uses of Candice Patton’s Iris in the series, giving her ample and deserved screen time as an important part of Barry Allen’s life (or lives). In a world of unreality, Iris seems to offer Barry a dose of reality, and I like that The Flash recognizes that Iris (and Candice) are an integral part of this story.

What else is there to say? Joe West in the Flashpoint world is a shell of the Joe we know; also, there is a surprise guest appearance that I don’t think has been spoiled yet. I hope it is not spoiled because it had me grinning from ear to ear. And, yes, Keiynan Lonsdale’s Wally is Kid Flash and the costume looks really cool – though his frequent blurring is a little distracting. If the mask doesn’t hide his face enough, then maybe he needs a better mask.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Am I the only one who dropped out of later season Arrow and Daredevil because it felt like I was watching Power Rangers? They kept adding people in leather suits until the shows were nothing but gang fights in abandoned warehouses and rock quarries.

I'm bummed out by all the Flash sidekicks they're setting up. I just want to see the Flash run real fast and either punch a guy or mess up time. The show has delivered on that so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Yeah they really need to do better for both women on this show tbh. Caitlin is supposed to be a brilliant scientist with an icy exterior who warms up when she cares about you. Not some starstruck girl who tells people with concussions to take naps.

I still have hope.. idk why.

Here is an advanced review: http://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-season-3-premiere-advance-review-flashpoint/25907

Interesting bits:
Barry Allen has almost everything he wants in this new world… except for one thing: Iris, who doesn’t really know him well in this altered reality, yet seems drawn to him in the same way he is to her. This season premiere might be one of the best uses of Candice Patton’s Iris in the series, giving her ample and deserved screen time as an important part of Barry Allen’s life (or lives). In a world of unreality, Iris seems to offer Barry a dose of reality, and I like that The Flash recognizes that Iris (and Candice) are an integral part of this story.

What else is there to say? Joe West in the Flashpoint world is a shell of the Joe we know; also, there is a surprise guest appearance that I don’t think has been spoiled yet. I hope it is not spoiled because it had me grinning from ear to ear. And, yes, Keiynan Lonsdale’s Wally is Kid Flash and the costume looks really cool – though his frequent blurring is a little distracting. If the mask doesn’t hide his face enough, then maybe he needs a better mask.

I'm choosing to believe that Barry will undo the new world because he's a bloodthirsty monster he needs Iris to be his "sister" because that is his kink.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm choosing to believe that Barry will undo the new world because he's a bloodthirsty monster he needs Iris to be his "sister" because that is his kink.

Don't do that here. She is not and has never been his sister. He loved her before he even moved in. Joe is basically his father in law not his actual dad. Neither Barry. Iris or Joe have ever considered them siblings jfc.

I think you made a wrong turn and meant to go back to bitching in the Error thread.

This is the Flash Season 3/Iris West appreciation thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Reddit poo poo has to stop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

Am I the only one who dropped out of later season Arrow and Daredevil because it felt like I was watching Power Rangers? They kept adding people in leather suits until the shows were nothing but gang fights in abandoned warehouses and rock quarries.
This is kind-of an inevitability of any live-action superhero adaptation as you go along save for the tentpole releases. I'm not saying it's a good thing or looks good and you're being stubborn/unappreciative; I am going to say that while hokey I find the relative strengths of the fights relative to how they were even 10 years ago tolerable, albeit silly and frequently dumb-looking.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Agreed. We need more positivity and cute gifs!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Koalas March posted:

Don't do that here. She is not and has never been his sister. He loved her before he even moved in. Joe is basically his father in law not his actual dad. Neither Barry. Iris or Joe have ever considered them siblings jfc.
They were children when he moved in. They basically grew up together as siblings. It's weird and creepy that they chose to make them foster-siblings and romantically involved.

Aphrodite posted:

What?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dumb topic policing gimmick he's trying to do.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

Barry has literally called Joe his dad multiple times.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no way around the fact that Barry and Iris's relationship is creepy af. He pined after her for over a decade, she thought he was her friend the entire time, but he just desperately wanted to bang her. He's a creepy "nice guy".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The dumb topic policing gimmick he's trying to do.

I'm a woman. A black woman. Which you should know by now because I spent a long time in the last thread explaining why Iris is important to women and young girls of color. To you iirc. My "gimmick" as you call it, is pretty harmless and I'm sorry that my defending a black woman character is so threatening to you.

I'm not really attempting to police by asking people to stay positive and on topic. Iirc it's perfectly acceptable for the OP to do this. I think it's a cute thread and it has gotten some positive feedback and been cool til people came in to bitch about Iris/Barry. Which is useless because we all know it's inevitable, so what do you accomplish by complaining?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Wasn't he also hitting on her as Flash up to an including when she was engaged (or I guess about to be engaged)?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burning_Monk posted:

Wasn't he also hitting on her as Flash up to an including when she was engaged (or I guess about to be engaged)?

Yeah, he was hitting on her while pretending to be someone else. When he accidentally confessed his true feelings for her as Barry he got his friends to say that he had been temporarily insane to make Iris feel bad for him.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I'm a woman. A black woman. Which you should know by now because I spent a long time in the last thread explaining why Iris is important to women and young girls of color. To you iirc. My "gimmick" as you call it, is pretty harmless and I'm sorry that my defending a black woman character is so threatening to you.

I'm not really attempting to police by asking people to stay positive and on topic. Iirc it's perfectly acceptable for the OP to do this. I think it's a cute thread and it has gotten some positive feedback and been cool til people came in to bitch about Iris/Barry. Which is useless because we all know it's inevitable, so what do you accomplish by complaining?

People are allowed to voice their disdain, and also make incest jokes. It doesn't have to detract from what you take away from the show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

People are allowed to voice their disdain, and also make incest jokes. It doesn't have to detract from what you take away from the show.

Thanks for the update on what people are allowed to do. KM is likewise allowed to voice her opinion on the dumb incest jokes. You were allowed to make your post replying to her. I am allowed to make this post. Nobody is disallowing anyone from doing anything, your First Amendment rights are safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QEwzmsnHg

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Thanks for the update on what people are allowed to do. KM is likewise allowed to voice her opinion on the dumb incest jokes. You were allowed to make your post replying to her. I am allowed to make this post. Nobody is disallowing anyone from doing anything, your First Amendment rights are safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QEwzmsnHg

Thanks for your contribution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Positive and On Topic isn't possible, this is a bad show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Thanks for your contribution.

Aphrodite posted:

The important thing is that you guys are making it better.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, he was hitting on her while pretending to be someone else. When he accidentally confessed his true feelings for her as Barry he got his friends to say that he had been temporarily insane to make Iris feel bad for him.

I loved how Eddie while initially angry was super cool with it. He was always a good friend to Barry, and Barry would smile and try to get his girl behind his back. Eddie was such a good character, an actual nice guy, not a bully, and just trying to do the right thing whether it was his job or or girl or his friends. They could have taken him a completely different way but I like how they did him, made his sacrifice that more tragic.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I loved how Eddie while initially angry was super cool with it. He was always a good friend to Barry, and Barry would smile and try to get his girl behind his back. Eddie was such a good character, an actual nice guy, not a bully, and just trying to do the right thing whether it was his job or or girl or his friends. They could have taken him a completely different way but I like how they did him, made his sacrifice that more tragic.

Yeah Eddie got shafted hard. He was a genuinely good guy. And Barry was just rooting for their break up hard. Thirsty Barry saying "Did you guys break up!?" was the pinnacle of this for me.

Oh, andd this:

If you want to look back at all the sad Eddie moments: http://poor-eddie.tumblr.com

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I just found the thread.

Aphrodite posted:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The show might be bad but the dumb incest fixation people have is also bad. Iris isn't Barry's sister and hasn't been depicted as Barry's sister.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Koalas March posted:

If you want to look back at all the sad Eddie moments: http://poor-eddie.tumblr.com

Ha, this is so cute.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

The show might be bad but the dumb incest fixation people have is also bad. Iris isn't Barry's sister and hasn't been depicted as Barry's sister.

It's not really surprising. Weirdness is a subjective thing, so you finding it fine while other people find it odd is completely normal. I don't find it particularly odd personally, but I do think it's super weird that they're continually being set up as a couple when Barry spent a large portion of season one stalking her and being really creepy towards her while the show seemed to be heading more in a "he has to get over it and learn to move on" direction.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

tsob posted:

It's not really surprising. Weirdness is a subjective thing, so you finding it fine while other people find it odd is completely normal. I don't find it particularly odd personally, but I do think it's super weird that they're continually being set up as a couple when Barry spent a large portion of season one stalking her and being really creepy towards her while the show seemed to be heading more in a "he has to get over it and learn to move on" direction.

I think it's just the whole "he has to end up with her because comics canon!" thing. It may not make sense in the context of the show for them to end up with each other, but by God it will happen.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Renzian posted:

I think it's just the whole "he has to end up with her because comics canon!" thing. It may not make sense in the context of the show for them to end up with each other, but by God it will happen.

nevermind that Arrow killed black canary to have him hook up with a tv created character

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

ice cold horchata posted:

nevermind that Arrow killed black canary to have him hook up with a tv created character

Actually she's been in comics since the 80's. She was annoying then too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ice cold horchata posted:

I don't see that happening to Iris. The cast really likes Candice whereas there were rumors about Katie being a diva on set, also Candice and Geoff Johns are bffs. She is always posting gifts from him on Instagram. Add to that, Grant said he basically handpicked her to be Iris, because their chemistry was so good.

And the optics would be really, really bad. Which is something I've talked about at length previously and is touched on in some of the links in the OP.

Now let's talk about season 3. I hope Iris gets a good journalism arc and serves up some of this! 💘😍

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 27, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I can't wait for timeline shenanigans, hopefully Flashpoint lasts for more than like, 5 episodes.

Writh posted:

Actually she's been in comics since the 80's. She was annoying then too.

Holy poo poo Felicity Smoak was Firestorm's step-mom?? Why the hell was she put on Arrow in the first place? lmfao

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

lotus circle posted:

The producers have said in interviews that they agree the show got a bit too dour for their taste in late season, so they're definitely aiming for a more Season 1 feel.

The producers of Arrow said the same thing going into last season.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ollie's mom's lawyer was Ray Palmer/The Atom's wife in the comics, but obviously that didn't end up playing out that way in the show. They just like grabbing comics character names for bit characters when they can, which is all Felicity was meant to be at first.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Koalas March posted:

Add to that, Grant said he basically handpicked her to be Iris, because their chemistry was so good.

If it is, none of it is making it to the screen. That's almost certainly more a fault of writing and direction though, not lack of chemistry. They do appear to have real fun and chemistry in the gifs you post, but nothing in the show really reflects that.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Honestly Candice Patton is a national treasure and we should be grateful.

I want more Earth-2 Iris, and her amazing pants :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe let's not spread unsubstantiated misogynist MRA rumors.

• Locked thread