Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

tbf a lot of the "well she's not well written" is usually code for "I don't like romances in my TV shows".

Most of the romances in the CW DC shows are not well written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

computer parts posted:

tbf a lot of the "well she's not well written" is usually code for "I don't like romances in my TV shows".

The whole show isn't well written; it's on the CW. The romance plot relies infinitely more heavily on the strength of its writing than on the strength of, say, the special effects.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Good job! You all showed that little girl begging for representation who's boss!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I also hate felicity. Come at me.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I'm looking forward to a timeline where Barry hasn't killed anyone yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy Goodbody posted:

TV writers in general, and people who write for genre shows in particular, seem allergic to having couples in stable relationships. They have this notion that the audience is more invested in the struggle of a pairing to get together than actually being a couple. These days a cynic might say it's because they want to cater to as many different permutations of shippers as they can.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

i'm done arguing. This is a fun space. Construtive criticism is allowed, but don't use coded language and don't mock a little girl desperate for representation. Also read this loving article from Black Enterprise.

back to happy gif stuff!

When asked about Barry and Iris finally getting togther:

Let's get back on topic!

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 28, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh god can this show start already so this can end

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ice cold horchata posted:

Oh god can this show start already so this can end

#PoorEddie

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

howe_sam posted:

TV writers in general, and people who write for genre shows in particular, seem allergic to having couples in stable relationships. They have this notion that the audience is more invested in the struggle of a pairing to get together than actually being a couple. These days a cynic might say it's because they want to cater to as many different permutations of shippers as they can.

Nah it's fairly common to have stable relationships. For two examples, Bones and Castle both had long lasting relationships with their main characters (albeit with quite a bit of "will-they-won't-they" too).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

computer parts posted:

Nah it's fairly common to have stable relationships. For two examples, Bones and Castle both had long lasting relationships with their main characters (albeit with quite a bit of "will-they-won't-they" too).

I feel like that's the exception to the rule though? I mean consider, Scully/Mulder; Anybody/Anyone on ER; Abbie/Ichabod; Stabler/Benson, Rosewood/Villa, Olivia/Jake.. even Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd and that's just off the top of my head. I feel like if I dug harder there'd be way more unresolved will-they-wont-they relationships.. but I'm kinda tipsy..and I feel like I demonstrated that I'm fine with constructive criticism of Iris (go check the last few pages).

So again, I'm cool with construction criticism, but if you say that something sounds kinda racist, I will call it out. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the problems arose with people who basically subtweeted in the Error thread, and who I already tried to explain the importance of Iris' character before. If you have a problem with the writing of Iris as she is now, that is not a problem. But if you can't be cool with Iris unless she dies/disappears, if there's literally no writing that will redeem her and you want her to be replaced, there's probably, (again probably not 100% completeley, although if you're if you're fighting it this much..) you might need to reexamine your bias against black women in mainstream american media.
, (probably not
Cute Candice gifs!!

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Is Wells still a regular? I stopped watching mid season 2

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Remember when the black guy was a good fit for Firestorm because of his natural athleticism? And they literally said that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

Is Wells still a regular? I stopped watching mid season 2

Yes but they've been unclear about how much he's actually going to be in this season. They've said for sure he isn't in the premier.

Koalas March posted:

I feel like that's the exception to the rule though? I mean consider, Scully/Mulder; Anybody/Anyone on ER; Abbie/Ichabod; Stabler/Benson, Rosewood/Villa, Olivia/Jake.. even Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd and that's just off the top of my head. I feel like if I dug harder there'd be way more unresolved will-they-wont-they relationships.. but I'm kinda tipsy so.....

Cute Candice gifs!!

Knock this poo poo off.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People in this forum have had a legit bizarre hangup about Iris since forever. Of all the multitudes of conceptual, narrative, character-related problems, for some reason Iris just keeps on getting spotlighted as the foremost issue the writers ought to fix? Caitlin's writing was at least as precarious as Iris' last year -- more, in my opinion -- but for some reason no one's pinning the downfall of the show on Caitlin. (Not that they should)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Times Barry has destroyed the universe for Caitlin: 0

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For some reason people who aren't me think the Flashpoint storyline is gonna be the best thing ever so, in a way, it's all thanks to Iris the show is saved

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

BrianWilly posted:

People in this forum have had a legit bizarre hangup about Iris since forever. Of all the multitudes of conceptual, narrative, character-related problems, for some reason Iris just keeps on getting spotlighted as the foremost issue the writers ought to fix? Caitlin's writing was at least as precarious as Iris' last year -- more, in my opinion -- but for some reason no one's pinning the downfall of the show on Caitlin. (Not that they should)

I would like to request that Barry takes fewer occasions to act like a complete dingus to his loved ones. The hopes are slim since this is a superhero show but eh.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Times Barry has destroyed the universe for Patty: 0

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Knock this poo poo off.

Nope!

BrianWilly posted:

I've already mentioned at length that constructive criticism is welcome. I've even taken part in it. It's almost like there's something about her they don't like but they can't quite put their finger on...

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

In fairness, the Iris romance subplot and "don't tell Iris" were the worst parts of the first season and probably poisoned the well for some viewers. Iris actually improved relative to the show in the second season, because despite some really bizarre choices (asking her boss out and the "Netflix and chill" conversation off the top of my head) the rest of the show got so much worse it was hard to notice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Lots of people browse the forums on mobile, don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I live at the poverty level and my mobile plan is basically nothing. It loads fine on my mobile and don't act like you claiming there's a problem loading gifs on phones that has anything to do with the person who told me to stop.

Like if there was a problem someone would've told me at near the OP, not 4 pages later when coincidentally, the incest fetishists and racists mocking black children come out to play.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Koalas March posted:

muscles like this? posted:

Knock this poo poo off.
Nope!

Wait, are we allowed to dismiss mods in the TVIV now?

Also, Koalas March, am I a racist if I think Iris and Caitlyn are, more often than not, poorly used on the show? Am I a sexist if I say I think Iris needs her own subplot and/or villain? Is thinking that Caitlin should become Killer Frost (but heroic like Barry "the Fastest Murderer Alive" Allan) mean I want to make America great again?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they ever say what Iris's mother's maiden name was? At this point I'd be pretty cool with it if one episode they introduced Iris's uncle who nobody had ever mentioned before, John Henry Irons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I live at the poverty level and my mobile plan is basically nothing. It loads fine on my mobile and don't act like you claiming there's a problem loading gifs on phones that has anything to do with the person who told me to stop.

Like if there was a problem someone would've told me at near the OP, not 4 pages later when coincidentally, the incest fetishists and racists mocking black children come out to play.

Does your mobile plan load that blue star beside his name?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wait, are we allowed to dismiss mods in the TVIV now?

Also, Koalas March, am I a racist if I think Iris and Caitlyn are, more often than not, poorly used on the show? Am I a sexist if I say I think Iris needs her own subplot and/or villain? Is thinking that Caitlin should become Killer Frost (but heroic like Barry "the Fastest Murderer Alive" Allan) mean I want to make America great again?
[/quote]

literally if you read the OP or any of my other posts, you'd know that I like Caitlin a lot, and whether she becomes Killer Frost or not, I want her to have good storylines as well. A black character having good storylines does not mean that a white one can't have good storylines as well.

Read the OP, people. I like Caitlin, I like criticism, I don't like coded racial language, people mocking black children for finally feeling accepted.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RE: a mod, I guess? I'm on my laptop and don't see a star here or on mobile? I can post a screenshot as proof if need be??

edit: oh it's muscles like this, not whizbang, I read poo poo wrongl.

irregardless, gif parties are a big part of the theme of the thread? I can make a subject warning I guess? Are high gif posts not allowed in TVIV or what?

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 28, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Whizbang posted:

toggle the thing where pics don't automatically load

Koalas March posted:

RE: a mod, I guess? I'm on my laptop and don't see a star here or on mobile? I can post a screenshot as proof if need be??

too late you're toast

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

toggle the thing where pics don't automatically load

too late you're toast

Let them go for it. I admitted my mistake and my biggest crime was posting in defense of a character that's the target of a poo poo ton of racist and sexist bullshit here?

And again, the thread had positive feedback until today when some rando's from the Arrow thread came here and starting bitching up a storm and mocking a black child for identifying with a character they hate.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Please quote what was racist in this thread.

And yeah. Don't auto load images because it will kill your mobile plan ASAP.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sorry I was teasing, I was trying to lighten the mood but failed worse than Barry trying to not screw up time travel

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

sorry I was teasing, I was trying to lighten the mood but failed worse than Barry trying to not screw up time travel

In fairness, the only character in the last few years I can remember not screwing up time travel is McConaughey in Interstellar.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ice cold horchata posted:

Please quote what was racist in this thread.

And yeah. Don't auto load images because it will kill your mobile plan ASAP.

In response to a black child being proud of seeing a beautiful woman with her skin tone on The Flash.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

In response to a black child being proud of seeing a beautiful woman with her skin tone on The Flash.

Candice Patton is crazy beautiful. That kid is just bragging, saying she looks just like her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

maybe Whizbang is just a super cut skeleton who hasn't been to the settings tab of his SA mobile app

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Barry Allen, go back in time and rewrite this entire thread please!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Guy A. Person posted:

maybe Whizbang is just a super cut skeleton who hasn't been to the settings tab of his SA mobile app

The touch screen won't respond to my gnarled, bony fingers.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AAAAAAAAANYWAY since it's a given that Bary will kill metahumans to sate the speedforce-fueled bloodlust that courses through his veins, what percentage of the metahumans this season will survive the encountering the blood-red blur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

AAAAAAAAANYWAY since it's a given that Bary will kill metahumans to sate the speedforce-fueled bloodlust that courses through his veins, what percentage of the metahumans this season will survive the encountering the blood-red blur?

The survivors, if any, may wish they were dead when the alternative is STAR labs solitary even though Iron Heights can hold metas now

• Locked thread