Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I've never been part of a compliance satisfaction scheme that has required me to describe the exact mechanism by which users are provisioned and deprovisioned, typically the requirements I see are that the processes must be documented, the documented process must be followed, and the deprovisioning must be able to materialize an access revocation within some extremely generous timeframe.

The actual mechanism for it is trivial, IAM has an API or you can even click in the web interface if you don't like it. Plenty of compliant and publicly traded technical organizations run on checklists and email.

My personal preference is gitops iac, but it doesn't really matter. The users that exist and their authorizations are fully described by the main branch of a git repository at all times, changes to these definitions are peer reviewed and each link to a concrete instance of a business process (JIRA ticket) which also links to other events from the HRIS.

Then you just need to prove that: No changes to the git repository were made without peer review. No changes to the users were made except by the git repository's approved mechanisms. No changes were made that were not linked to a JIRA ticket, and every JIRA ticket for this process always linked to your HR bullshit.

You sill get to check "yes" on whatever stupid questionnaire you received from the bored secops team in the fortune 500. If they have any further questions you can just give them your SOC 3 report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Arzakon posted:

and not the lambda script you invented to mimic SSO but for IAM users.

Just to clarify, this would be a thing that rotates IAM keys, not a thing that mimics SSO.

I'd also probably just use yours https://github.com/aws-samples/aws-iam-access-key-auto-rotation instead of inventing it again. :)

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

keeping them adjacent in the same repo is usually better in my experience, although i usually name the folder terraform/ instead of infra/

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

route53 is really good, i totally understand using it everywhere.

maybe not for external records i guess. theyre not very price competitive

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

iirc if you go s3 -> sns you only ever get 1 sns topic per notification config, something to be aware of in case you might need more destinations later

you can mix queues and topics though to my recollection so it's not a big deal

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

just uploading a zip puts less requirements on the uploader which is good because uploaders tend to change over time and janitoring an uploader is all toil for no benefit

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

haven't thought about it too hard but i want to note that when you're doing x-account access you usually can't rely on asterisk, you have to supply the account id of the other account

edit to include docs link: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/IAM/latest/UserGuide/reference_policies_elements_principal.html

highly recommend everyone who touches AWS at work read the full iam documentation, especially this part, whenever they have a moment

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Unless you're going out of your way to build as much stuff as possible to demonstrate how full stack it is, I would probably use beanstalk.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

it's easy to assume roles from the cli and web ui. whether or not that's a good idea kind of depends on how many roles you think people need / why they can't just have PowerUserAccess with some deny policies instead.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the documentation for this is here https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonECS/latest/developerguide/task-metadata-endpoint.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I was completely ready to say mean things about it but it looks fine actually. It's not that different from many take-home technical interviews I've been presented with. Some of the tool choices are bad, is the worst thing I can muster.