Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On the other hand, it's super cool in a CS class to see your professor open a telnet session to an SMTP server and execute the commands to send an email, and the poof an email shows up in your inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I start a new job in 2 weeks at a place that uses AWS, whereas all my experience is in Azure (they know this, I don't have to fake anything). What would be a good primer on AWS? Is there an AWS equivalent to the AZ-900 exam/cert (which is a totally free and online cert from Microsoft) that I can use to at least build a foundation of skills?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Today I learned that you can only attach a maximum of 10 AWS managed IAM policies to an IAM group. If you want more attached, you need multiple groups or you need to copy the settings into your own policy. Which... feels like it defeats the purpose of having AWS managed policies for common roles. Maybe the purpose is just to push you into writing your own policies, but those AWS managed policies are so helpful! Particularly the ReadOnly roles which we're utilizing heavily.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My read on those is that you have to "switch" into a role and isn't really meant to be a user's level of regular access. And it still has a policy attachment limit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No identity center, just plain IAM users signing into the web console or using access keys from the command line.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Identity Center is probably in the future, though how far in the future is certainly up for debate. The joys of a tech company still somewhat in "startup" mode that only recently hired an "IT guy" to get Okta going, for example. Who is not me, I'm the latest DevOps person. At least all of our IAM access is controlled via Terraform, so that feels better than nothing.

There is not an easy win here though, I think I'm just gonna pretend to forget about it for a little while and work on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Plank Walker posted:

Any idea what methods I can use to get this instance ID? Some stack overflow answers mention querying http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/instance-id but 1) I'm not sure whether this will work from inside the container and 2) testing this requires trial and error on another deployment so I'd rather have some idea upfront if it will work or not

Yes, that url is made specifically to be accessed from inside the service. Or, at least, that's how it works in EC2, and I would assume for ECS as well. It's all part of the metadata service.