Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
If it's a t-class you ran out of CPU credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If mainland china deploy- You'll need to get an ICP license for yourself and if you're hosting clients/reselling one for each of them too.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If you really want it in lambda and not sitting on your monitoring you could just use the cron schedule rule to fire it off

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Devops is just sysadmins that got tricked into release engineering but accidentally the whole infrastructure. It’s burn out zone staff reduction.
The coming bubble pop and rush back to the warm bosom of CapEx and colos is going to be thunderous.
I’m just saying stack paper.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

this seems beyond wishful thinking

We’re a good big ‘breach’ (read: wide open bucket) away from c-suites getting nervous. With GDPR and the current political clime I think it’s not impossible but agree unlikely.
Mostly worried about the Preso mucking about with aws. Kvetching.

Completely agree on your other point. It’s already happened once, how many operator gigs are kicking around these days? That’s the rank and file sysadmins that are going to be hurting.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

They still do polygraphs? Aren’t they demonstrably bullshit? Like not admissible in a court of law levels of bs?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Orkiec posted:

I work in RDS. I wouldn't say it's chill per se, but I seldom work crazy hours. I'm pretty happy here.

Is the aurora postgresql mode still built on the maria fork underneath the hood or are they just reusing the aurora name?

Ah, yea, makes sense I guess.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

You can stream the file from S3 and serve it as if it were local. I don’t recall if there’s an easy way to do an IMS on that in the SDK but it wouldn’t be tough to do yourself. To act as a cache, I mean.
Don’t forget to add an S3 endpoint to your VPC or you’ll be making unneeded trips out.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I don’t mind cf I just wish there was an editor that did linting more than just ‘is valid JSON’.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

GCP has the friendliest pricing model of the big three imo. AWS’ is Byzantine and will gently caress you if you’re not mindful about it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

AWS batch- as far as I can tell a queue's attached managed compute environment being disabled doesn't prevent the service from launching a machine to sit and do nothing if something enters the queue. Am I missing a config somewhere or is that just how it goes?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Is anybody friendly with the Batch team? :v:
I’d use it way more at work if you could give a job fractions of CPU, even if it were just one option at x0.5. As is it’s ok but we’re not throwing more and varied workloads at it because of that. Our needs are memory bound not cpu.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Agrikk posted:

I hear ya. I hear of lots of customers running into memory constraints and having to upgrade to a larger instance/tier/etc because they need more memory and the cpu stats mostly idle.

It’s a cost and logistics function: an underlying fleet has x amount of cpu and y amount of memory. Therefore all things come in a fixed ratio of x to y.

But it certainly would be nice to have a tomcat machine running on one half x and ten times y.

It's not even that, it's that a job won't be dispatched to an instance regardless of actual cpu utilization. There's plenty of RAM and compute but it's looking at cores only.
GCP's ultimate flexibility flies in the face of your point though. Yes I understand google lit money on fire until their clusters became self-aware and their offering is unique in this regard, but it exists, so... I stick around because of familiarity too but AWS has got to reign in the bs like wacky fee schedules especially with regards to bandwidth, echo above, pitching aws sure hasn't gotten easier.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The new timeout is great, we’d been kicking to lambda from other lambda for some operations and now don’t have to be as careful.

For the sql crunching guy- if you’ve already process for it I’d probably just use Batch and RDS. It’s the easiest service to deal with if you don’t care about the mix of instance types or the occasional run lag. Not the best, step functions or Athena, if it’s a fit for the data are smarter, but would probably take longer to implement.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Does LB WAF consider X-Forwarded-For or true-client-ip for its rate limiting or is it just remote_addr and a counter threshold?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Not java, but go’s and boto3. I don’t even think about the delay with those libs. That is, it’s as close to instant as network allows.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Is there facility in sagemaker for deploying pre-trained Torch models? I know there’s a legacy mode for python endpoints, anything similar for lua?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Is this a sane way to do this? It seems fine, but I wanted to bounce it off people to make sure I'm not doing something incredibly dumb.

There’s a lot if ways to do this but I think Batch is an alluring solution for doing it without much work. The caveat is that sometimes Batch is slow to start a job, especially if it has to start a new instance. Not a big deal just something to keep in mind. What I usually do is just have a lambda watch consume the SNS from job state changes to give impatient people a dashboard or rest call.
If you need it as durable but more hands-on/faster, I’d do it as step function instead. More glue to write but good service to learn anyway.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

No that’s fine. Unless it’s something that gets big/disparate enough purpose to warrant multiple bins, whether it’s in lambda or not is the first thing I check when arg parsing.
E:pardon any misuse of terms of art, I’m coming from sh/go, not java.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The boto3 based aws cli has some envars you can tweak to increase the worker pool. We ended up rolling our own client to maximize speed. If your needs are somewhere in the middle ‘s5cmd’ is much faster than I could tweak awscli into being. Just mind the differences in its verbs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If it's got to start a new instance to service the job, it can sometimes take that long. Be mindful of the memory requirements on the task, remember there's overhead, and add every drat instance that the job is capable of running on to the selection list. That's helped keep our stuff moving quickly.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of go it's coming up on two years since aws-sdk-go-v2 has been out but not really, from the git it feels like it's a OMA. Is that coming anytime soon?

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know AWS well and I've come in to admin a project that is currently hosted across multiple EC2 instances and I have questions.

1. One thing that I think could be better is that the project has a redis server acting as a task queue and python workers running on one instance. If i understand correctly, if I'm using AWS, I should probably move those python workers over to Lambda, no? Then I can just eliminate redis and replace the code that sends tasks to the workers via redis with code that starts lambda tasks (or whatever the lambda terminology is)?

2. Some of these instances call HTTP endpoints on other instances via public dns addresses...I should just use the VPC local address, right?

Yea lambda, SQS. Redis for a queue??
You can do that or use a private dns zone.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It’s ‘exec’ style arg passing. Annoying but yea

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The first rule of AWS is Amazon hates you
The second rule is never forget Rule Number One
The cloudwatch logs interface alone is proof enough that Bezos hates you and wants you to suffer.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, it's also sometimes fileb:// !

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Cloudwatch cron fired SSM Run command documents don’t seem to be honoring the log group and logging enable defined in the document.
To get around it, we’re using the cron to then run the ssm command with the cloud watch output config flag but that seems really dumb.
Is this a limitation of that service? Am I holding it wrong?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

S3 Batch Operations can have a lambda as an invoke iirc, that'd let you do it in one go as quick as the services let you, you can feed it CSV or s3 manifest. Not sure if the porcelain is as nice as I remember but check it out.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

God drat this looks perfect, thank you

np, interested to hear how it shakes out for you.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It’s definitely never been simpler to manage EC2, SSM is so good I regularly advocate for its use on-prem BUT gently caress doing it unless you have to.
Fight for not doing.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I know I'd be fine with minimal logging and tight envs since it makes bad dev and bad actor behaviors simply not possible. Getting that set up is a lot of front-loaded effort and slows dev velocity so if they really grok what you're saying they may be trying to avoid that without saying so.

If the concern is repeated, from high up, I'd expect a vendor has been whispering in ears, however, good luck. :smithcloud:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

(so they can sunset development on the one that scales to 0)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Cloudshell sib, if your dash creds do it, you can do it. CLI’s installed, you also get a small per-region persistent store.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I’d shift that 80% up closer to 90 but otherwise concur.
The amount of very bad shell invoking the aws cli passing for IaC I’ve seen is harrowing, though that might be a local quirk from so minicomputing grognards in the region.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:retrogames:
We switched to grav as soon as possible, been cheaper and with grav2 it’s faster too. For our loads anyway, it’s good op.
Drop-in if you’re running go or python, honest.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Oh yeah this reminds me that you will start getting actual death threats from unhinged lunatics to your abuse@ address if they ever receive something they perceive as spam, lol

A lot of us remember

Docjowles posted:

when everyone on the internet knew each other personally cause there were like 100 users and they were all at universities and government labs

It's been a harrowing few decades

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

They both go off like firecrackers. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

ledge posted:

Two steps is not Rube Goldberg. Rube Goldberg is:
file arrives in S3,
triggers lambda to process file line by line into SQS queue, with a dummy entry to indicate the end of the file
SQS sends to Lambda which loads entries into one of two DynamoDBs (one active on empty) based on environment variables in the lambda,
When the dummy eof entry is received call another lambda
this Lambda updates the environment variables on loading lambda and reading lambda and itself about what DynamoDB to target and then deletes and recreates what was previously the active dynamoDB table.

Which I have to do as loading into DynamoDB is slow as poo poo and the file is big enough to take over 15 minutes so I can't do it all in a single lambda.

I know Batch is a bad word in lots of shops but this sounds like something I'd throw at batch if my org didn't like naked ec2s getting spun up, depending on frequency. At least a step function to avoid lambdas calling lambdas manipulating themselves.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Latency on job begin. It’s such a stupid reason for how easy the service is to hold in your head, interact with the SDK, and build for BUT people get frustrated to the point of insanity that there can be minutes between job add and job begin. Crom help you if the service has to instantiate a new compute env, could be ten whole minutes.
I wish I were joking but it’s been a sticking point more than a few times. Use it! It’s actually a great choice if you don’t already have institutional knowledge of the step function DSL.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Maybe every place I've been was holding it wrong but SES is just hot garbage, I feel.

Thanks Ants posted:

Knowing what I know about the people using this service I think I'm going to push for them to move to a more managed platform that will do all this for them

Very yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Most go or Java programs we’ve either used layers if we needed something or the stock images. I was excited for containers for more elaborate deploys, giant runtimes or data. Would love to hear other use cases, as well.