Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
This is technically a Google Compute Engine question, but I think the answer would also apply for AWS and I can't find a GCE thread.

I have a Linux instance that I use for:

1) Small personal projects

2) Hosting example REST services for my students to hit when working on their assignments

I needed a GUI for something I was working on, so I installed Gnome and I access it using VNC Server. This works reasonably well, but after a while when I attempt to sign in using a VNC viewer, I get back the message "ERROR: Too many security failures". I can get back up and running by SSHing into the instance, killing my VNC Server process, and restarting. I'd rather not need to do that, though, and I'm not sure what best practices are. Is there a way to restrict VNC logins to just known IPs? Did I configure something wrong? I also noticed that this problem started after I set up my students' sample REST app. I temporarily exposed 8080 to get that working, but I closed it thereafter. Is it possible I did something wrong there?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU