Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Edda is nice but if you are in a large environment with lots of deploys and resources it can blow your API limits out of the water and cause throttling really easily. Cloud watch logs should report it if you have alerting setup or or ship them somewhere like Sumo and have an alert. We learned this because some dev deployed it to our dev environment without asking the Infrastructure team for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

StabbinHobo posted:

if you were launching a node app today: ec2 instances, elastic beanstalk, or ecs?

You forgot Lambda!

Is it a production node app >>> ec2
Is it a dev node app >>>> ecs maybe

There are some hippa and pci issues with ecs still I think. Since someone referred to beanstalk as govt like built that just makes me not want to recommend it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Blinkz0rz posted:

It's been almost perfect for us because we're still using immutable images but the team is starting to think about what it looks like when we migrate to Kubernetes and it's looking like we're going to have to do a near complete rewrite.

If you're in an immutable environment already with AMIs what/why is pushing you into looking at going to Kubernetes? We've got a fully immutable environment and have had a few meetings but can't come up with enough solid points to add it into our deployment pipeline for a PoC and it just seems like adding another layer of complexity to the environment. Most of our AMIs that are baked spin up super fast with the exception being our Jenkins executor slaves coming in at around 3 minutes right now.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Blinkz0rz posted:

We have a few problems to solve that are simplified in favor of solving k8s

1. Our AMIs take too long to bake. A lot of that is down to how we assemble our base AMI and the number of things we provision. We have an engineering team in LA with some political cache that has been clamoring for anything to speed up deployments and baking is a pretty big chunk of that time.

2. Instances take too long to boot. We have chef doing a boot time run to adjust settings based on region, ASG, chef environment, etc. and that takes a not insignificant amount of time. Coupled with the length of time it takes services and some of our bundled software, like Consul, to start makes the average time between creating a new ASG and having a deployed service on the order of 5+ minutes.

3. Multi-region deployments get gross when we have to copy an AMI across the world. Docker images are much easier in that regard.

4. Our chef recipes are an unmaintainable mess. There's 3+ years of bad decisions in there and while we've tried to make it better, a lot of the improvements are trying to shine poo poo. Moving to a different delivery method lets us sweep a lot of that away and makes deploying and maintaining k8s the big problem to focus on.

5. Resume driven development. Unfortunately. Part of it is promoted by that team in LA but a bunch of it is the general desire not to be stuck maintaining legacy software.

A lot of these problems came up pretty organically so u don't think there's really a specific thing to point to and try to resolve. It's just a whole mess that we need to wipe clean and start as close to fresh as we can.

Ah ok I can see that. I'm having the political fight with Docker right now. We're getting ready to fix a problem with #3 that has been a big security bug for awhile so we'll see what that does to our multi-region deployments and time. For #2 I'm not a Chef guy but is there no way to setup your playbooks (We use ansible) so that when your service does the "configure" playbook you can just run a quick set of scripts or invoke something you baked on there? I'm looking at this from a amazon linux AMI perspective we bake on top of.

If I was you I wouldn't put any major cycles into Kubernetes until after reInvent. Like I'd go full stop if you were thinking of starting right now. It just seems like Kubernetes is ripe enough that AWS might pick it up for some sort of support.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Does the user have iam permissions to assume roles?

I’m actually not sure if you can use PolicySim to test that now that I think about it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk what’s the deal with these “Senior DevOps Consultant” jobs I’ve had land in my inbox. 2 so far this week. Is this a new professional services offering spinning up to help people do the DevOps? It’s almost a perfect match to the DevOps Enablement initiative I’ve been working on at my company for 6 months but I’m guessing the pay and perks are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

API gateway for default type setups but after that you probably fall back to nginx instances when you up complexity.