Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Aww yeah, Frankfurt now supports inter-VPC peering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fluppet posted:

Where has decent study material/practice papers for the professional level exams?

My colleagues are using the Pluralsight stuff which they say is good. They passed their exams so I guess that's true?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

devops isn't a person, it's a methodology

you wouldn't hire an agile person to agile up your software. altho i guess tons of places do this too

i hired 5 scrum masters and 10 agile coaches but my company is still run like itil just came out what am i doing wrong

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Does a static website hosted on S3 really not serve HTTP/2, even if you're accessing it through Cloudfront with HTTP/2 enabled? Ugh.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've done Cloud Practitioner and it's pretty much the Sales guy's introduction to AWS.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What's up with the X1-series' lovely disk performance? I know it's supposed to be for in-memory applications, but it's also an awesome budget SQL server (R-series has too many cores so the licensing cost fucks ya). I mean, you're supposed to use RDS, but some of us are still stuck in medieval times.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arzakon posted:

I assume you mean the EBS throughput on the small X1e series? Yeah that is pretty typical of any low-CPU count instance, and the ones that do have higher networking capacity probably don't meet your memory requirements?

Unless you are saying you want more instance store SSDs for your SQL server then I salute how dedicated you are to bad ideas.

Yeah the x1e.4xlarge would be a fantastic alternative to our r4.8xlarge instances if they could sustain the same IOPS and throughput. Our company is pretty much based on throwing hardware at legacy software problems though :v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Squealed like a little girl at the announcement. Finally.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or AWS could just implement describe-limits for Redshift like, I dunno, half their other poo poo with Service Limits.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

So... Why not use two statements?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CloudBerry works.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put the logs into CloudWatch, trigger CloudWatch Event, get Lambda to scale ASG?

e: ^ is even better

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

terraform plan -refresh=false

If you're sure the state is up-to-date :D

No idea how your zone looks or why you need more than a thousands records in it, but you could always split up management of the zone into multiple state files and only apply changes to that subset. That's how we went from 20m planning times to ~2-3m.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Use Terraform to create the CloudFormation stacks :v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like Thorntech's SFTP Gateway. I don't think there's any decent alternatives, honestly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AWS Systems Manager is easily the worst part of the AWS console. It's like it's trying to be actively hostile to users.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Yeah the SSM console is so bad that we are considering writing our own for dealing with parameter store.

i'd pay for a usable version tbh

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

12 rats tied together posted:

I barely know how to use the web ui for AWS because my primary interface to it is text editor and terminal. The services where the UI is part of the value add like logs (and insights), EMR, lambda are all great, except DataPipeline which is garbage.

Maybe this is a bit of a hot take but I would never touch an SSM parameter in the UI -- I'd probably end up explicitly blocking that on our admin users if it ever comes up. Basically I think you should treat your AWS account like a database, every real change should be applied through a tagged migration or some facsimile. The interface is only useful for its ability to colocate bits of relevant information and letting people poke around in object/log storage.

you realize ssm is more than just the parameter store?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Depends on why they're failing, I guess?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Contact your AWS TAM. We've been working intensively with the DMS team and they're really eager to change things based on customer feedback.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Is this the place to ask about how to do something particular with Terraform ?

Sure why not

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fluppet posted:

Is there a reason that the aws android app doesn't support u2f

U2F support for AWS is an afterthought at best.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Having a weird issue and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We have some old IAM credentials that we were using to send email via SES. We've since updated all of our apps to a different process but something is still sending email. We have no idea what it is. CloudTrail doesn't log SES:Send* events so I can't figure out what the hell is using it. Any ideas to help track down whatever is using these credentials?

Make the access key inactive, see what breaks.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Does Kinesis Video Streams help?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any viable reason to be using MS SQL on an EC2 instance rather than in an RDS instance? My suspicion is it's due to a lift and shift from on-prem to AWS and wanting to just copy everything over from the old on-prem DB setup. I know they were fussed about the price of MSSQL on RDS compared to on Azure but I'm not sure if a license for an on-prem version would transfer over to EC2 and save them the subscription cost.

Then again, if they want HA, they would probably need two licenses for the two different EC2 instances and have to deal with cross-region replication of data between the two which sounds like a pain.

We ran our MSSQL databases on EC2. At the time AOAGs were not available on RDS, and we needed the extra control over the storage that we couldn't get from RDS (basic stuff like running tempdb on ephemeral storage for the performance improvements, running databases on their own disks with their own IOPS allocation, things like that).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

What is the best way to transfer a large amount of large-ish data files from one S3 bucket to another, with the complication being that each bucket has a separate access credential and the source bucket owner cannot grant permissions directly to a user/role at the destination? If one account had access to both ends I could do a number of things, but I don't know if there's anything better than just having the source connection stream the data across to the destination using code as an intermediary. Right now I have a multithreaded process that's trying it's best, but it's something like 10,000 files averaging 200MB a piece so that's going to take forever.

AWS DataSync? Or just s5cmd.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've always been a fan of having a dedicated subdomain for things that send email. Makes it a lot easier to manage and lock down.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

12 rats tied together posted:

if you're using, or can use, aurora serverless, you don't need a proxy or a bastion and you can use the "data API": https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/AuroraUserGuide/data-api.html

Aurora Serverless v1 :eng101:

There's enough differences between v1 and v2 that I don't understand why they didn't just release it as a separate product.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I'm ripping my hair out and need some AWS VPC help.

I have a Lambda. The goal is for the Lambda to get info from a USGS Earthquake API and write to RDS. When I configure my Lambda to use my Earthquake VPC, it appears it is unable to reach the internet. The Earthquake API request never completes and the Lambda just times out. If I remove any VPC association from my Lambda config, it can make the Earthquake API call just fine.

I've tried every which way to configure my Earthquake VPC and SGs but have had zero luck. Any advice?

Test it with VPC Reachability Analyzer.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah pretty much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In our case (also MSSQL) we needed to fine tune storage performance without breaking the bank. Tempdb on ephemeral storage, databases on their own disks because their performance requirements were predictable, stuff like that. And at the time AOAG wasn't properly supported on RDS either.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Brown bag lunch sounds like you're downing a bottle of vodka at the office

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tell all your stories like you're a detective in a film noir

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only reason people learn CloudFormation is to pass the exams.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wish Terraform had import blocks, so that I wouldn't have to do it manually (hello aws_system_linked_role my old friend)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

email is a genuine nightmare and i am glad other companies maintain these sewers

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Use UUIDs for your bucket names >:)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

davey4283 posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/aws/comments/193f9vp/using_beanstalk_to_deploy_djangoreact_project/

I'm pulling my hair out with beanstalk over here, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it

Remove version constraints from requirements.txt, try again, pip freeze

You already have a version conflict between awsebcli and botocore, awsebcli requires botocore>1.23.41,<1.32.0, you're installing 1.34.15.

Welcome Python dependency hell

(also don't install boto, it's not 2018 anymore, everything is in boto3 / botocore)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i would simply ask aws support tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What would be the best way to add a lifecycle rule to existing buckets in an account that dont already have one? Im basically looking to add a rule to delete aborted multipart uploads in buckets.

My first thought was a lambda that would fire and add in the lifecycle rule to buckets, but I dont necessarily know what would trigger that and how I'd put in logic to check for existing lifecycle policies. This is where being lovely with python really backfires for me.

Org wide this isnt really a huge issue for us but somehow its caught the attention of my bosses. Nevermind the thousands we waste in orphaned ebs volumes....

How are you currently deploying your infrastructure?