Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm working on brute forcing a password I forgot on a .pdf and don't want to pay 5$ for another copy of. I spun up an EC2 instance last night, and for the first several hours it displayed 100% usage on cloudwatch and via top. Now it's still showing 100% usage (or close enough to it) on top but cloudwatch has dropped down massively. Any idea what's going on here? I don't have any throttling, load balancing, or scaling going on, it's just a single ec2 instance I thought I could just let cook for a few days and see if I made any headway before admitting defeat and paying for a new copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Startyde posted:

If it's a t-class you ran out of CPU credit

Is that documented somewhere? I didn't see it. That definitely makes sense though.

Edit:

Found it

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/t2-instances.html

Its actually not cutting down that much. I'll just let it run as is for a bit and see if anything interesting happens from it.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 29, 2017

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not understanding the economics of brute-forcing something on AWS to save $5.

It was more of a "because I can" however there's also the "as a recent Texas expat I don't want to give them 5$".

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding pipelines sends packaged code to an ec2 host or autoscaling group. I don't think you can send it to an s3 bucket from there.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm trying to do a dynamodb backup to an s3 bucket without using data pipelines (which I realize is designed for this specific purpose). What's the easiest way to go about this? I didn't see anything that stuck out to me as doing this in the AWS cli under the dynamodb docs.

Edit: I ended up stealing some code off of GitHub that uses python boto to backup from dynamodb to s3. As emr would be extremely overkill for a simple etl job.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 28, 2017

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

You have to be a Chinese citizen, a business in China or a multinational company with interests in China to be able to get a Chinese AWS account.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

My company is now paying for free cloud guru access for employees. :toot:

Guess that's a sign I need to work on my certs.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I get massively intimidated by the prospect of taking any of the AWS exams due to the ridiculously quick pace that it's developing at. Should really put some effort in and give it a shot.

The core services aren't likely to change (EC2, S3, DDB, EBS, RDS, SNS, IAM, SQS, etc...) they're just going to add more features to them and add new "frills" services. So it's definitely important to understand those core services especially since most of the others are some form of abstracted versions thereof.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

CORS is an S3 bucket thing. Though I don't remember much more than that. I know I've seen it in the options with the bucket policies.

Edit: misread, maybe in confused on what CORS is then

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 13, 2018

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Cyberduck is what I have used as well. You can try storage gateway then mount it but I've never been able to get that to work right.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

AWS released their docs on GitHub today. I'm not 100% certain what the difference between what's online now and what's in there but they're also accepting commits and merge requests on top of it which is cool from the sake of improving documentation.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Customers? Are you a TAM at AWS? Or a reseller? That's a cool use case. I didn't think about that option.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Agrikk posted:

I’m a TAM at AWS, yes.

It’s funny because notifications has been the biggest excitement generator for most enterprise customers I know.

Updating someone else’s docs? Not so much.

I'm a SysEng on AWS. It's neat to hear that perspective .

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

AWWNAW posted:

Are there any better options for creating IAM users with access keys via cloud formation than outputting the access key as part of the template?

Did you look into the new Secrets Manager?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Arzakon posted:

No, federate or everyone will be sad.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you were asking. Nevermind.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I think it's rare that's done correctly. It's typically just one SysEng that can code or one Software Dev that can Linux that gets assigned these things (the latter was me at my last job).

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Can you contact a solutions architect at AWS directly? That's their jobs but I don't know if they only do it for big enterprise contracts or not.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Like most jobs it depends largely on your team. I don't feel like that about my team. However I work on C2S/SC2S (AWS for the IC) so it's a totally different atmosphere from commercial and even GovCloud.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

EkardNT posted:

AWS is a vastly superior place to work than CDO. I started out in retail for a year before switching to AWS and the engineering talent level is noticably higher. That said, it sounds like you might be thinking about a solutions architect role, and I only have experience with the dev side.

The team-dependency part is very true. At risk of doxxing myself, I can vouch for the Builder Tools org as a great place to work.

Also, lol @ working in C2S. You poor, poor, years out of date creature. Serious talk though, did you have to go through the SF86? I've been waiting almost 2 years to hear back now.

I came from a defense contractor so I already had a TS/SCI coming in. Though I'm still waiting on a poly for C2S access and just working SC2S in the meantime. Part of the wait time is the queue for polys as most people get their PRSI within months of submitting an SF86. I'm told the DC office gets their clearances in 6 months or so because they're so close to the sponsor site. Whereas we're flown out so it's a bit more logistically chllanging.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Startyde posted:

They still do polygraphs? Aren’t they demonstrably bullshit? Like not admissible in a court of law levels of bs?

Yes. To all of this.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

If your company is paying for that. Apparently tickets are in the thousands. I had no idea it was so expensive.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

This is my personal opinion

We get free access to acloudguru at AWS so I think that's a pretty good indicator of how great it is. Alternatively you can reach out to your TAM and buy training through them however I don't know what cost is like on that but it's an option I know they give to people who need to meet budget in academia/government in lieu of buying RI's.

We used to use qwiklabs as part of our onboarding but we scrapped them as the instructions were poor. It was basically 1. Read this 2. Now design a kubernetes like platform using AWS.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Do we have positions that need native AWS experience outside of SA's? Most engineering jobs I'm familiar with need Linux/Programming/Networking skills. I've actually had the misfortune of interviewing people who thought they needed to study AWS for my team only to not hire them because they didn't study what they should have. To be fair I don't have that much sympathy for them because the skills are clearly outlined on the job listing but still.

I'm also probably skewed somewhat since I work C2S/SC2S.

Disclaimer: my own opinion not Amazon's.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Agrikk posted:

When I started at AWS I had literally zero cloud experience, but I had a ton of virtualization and infra experience. During the interview process I was able to demonstrate an ability to quickly learn new technology, adapt to the changing needs of an organization, dive deep into a problem/technology as needed and not do dumb things more than once.

Tech can be taught. Processes can be taught. Common sense, insight, and a willingness to grow and learn cannot.

I tell candidates regularly not to be discouraged if they didnt totally ace the tech. As LPs are much more important. However my program is also different than most and has a very extensive onboarding meant to fill gaps.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm trying to determine whether this is feasible or if using DynamoDB Local is the better option.

Right now we are using shared databases to do our dev/stage work (one per deployment stage).

We would like to be able to create a temporary table for each test we do to isolate it. In theory I think it would just be a matter of keeping the ARN in a variable and then having our docker connect to it but, I am not sure if DDB is designed to be used this way.

Has anyone done something like this and know of some documentation on it? Most of what I'm finding on line just says to use DDB Local but due to VPC's and other infra dependencies as well as not being a strictly valid test according to CI/CD tests due to the hardware not being the same (at least in Stage, Dev obviously its normative to have a non prod infra setup).

Edit: sorry should have mentioned our CI/CD and IaC is Jenkins with Terraform and Chef.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 30, 2022

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Anecdotally from a couple people I know at AWS, Amazon has been at least doing some stuff lately to make people whole if they get turbo hosed on RSU value (mostly granting even more stock, lol). Because lord knows if those golden handcuffs get loose, the other FAANG companies will happily poach talent.

Historically this has not been a problem because AMZN stock only went up. You’d be insane to leave when you had a large vesting coming up that had doubled in value since your start date. But in the face of a downturn or recession, being so heavy on stock comp isn’t the guaranteed jackpot it has been.

Not to make this sound like all doom and gloom. You’re still probably making vastly more at Amazon than most non-FAANG places.

Former AWS worker here. AWS pay was absolutely poo poo for the longest time I started as an L4 at 95k base with 25 RSU's. Their salary hard cap was 165k for literally *everyone* Padre Jeffe included. Everything else was bonus and stock golden hand cuffs. 165k is on par with high mid low senior level at other companies.

Amazon only recently in the past year realized they were losing people left and right because its hard to suffer a burn out culture where you're told it's your privilege to work there and deal with endless casual bigotry while being paid poo poo relative to market rate for the same role.

They got rid of their cap and are now paying market but its still a bad company otherwise and you're basically suffering employment there just because it looks good on your resume.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

I interviewed one candidate who came from the business side of AWS, and he said that the separate departments were entirely different kingdoms and the folks in charge had a lot of control and really set the culture (as long as things went well).

Question: Anyone have opinions on working on the VR/device side of Facebook? I'm pretty happy with where I am now, but I know I'm not making Facebook money.

I know someone who does the audio engineering side of echo. Other than awful vendors she likes it but shes also trapped because its basically unheard of to get software dev pay with an audio engineering degree.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 4, 2022

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

At the end of the day its all ec2 anyway :black101: just various abstractions, warm pools, etc between services.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

EMR. Big data uses it a lot and its pretty fungible for a lot of things. Glue is a poo poo product and I have never actually got it to work because its way too drat picky about the schema. I've not actually touched redshift.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

luminalflux posted:

Glue is horrible. We used EMR for a bit but Databricks is so much better. Redshift is getting long in the tooth and the general trend is moving towards something like Delta Lake.

My last job used databricks. Arent they pretty different? One allows you to run ad-hoc scripts inside of containers the other is a full data processing tool like cloudera.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Was going to post some gossip about that from my time there but my NDA is apparently *three* years post severance.

Anyway without getting into specifics covered by the NDA. Slacks internal roll out at Amazon was an unmitigated disaster and I'd be impressed if they ever got it running half way as well as some of the free instances I'm on right now. Largely because they had far far too few people running it for what is likely one of the largest slack servers in the world. So the idea of them moving to another collaboration platform is laughable at best.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Agrikk posted:

This is interesting.

I have not seen any issues with Slack since it was deployed and thank goodness for that. Chime sucks. My experience with the Slack rollout was, “here, you are using Slack now.” “Okay.”

What was the disaster to which you are referring?

Bots required manual approval via a team that had like 5 people and there was no process in place for that or many other things. There was no way to join private channels without being added by hand. FC/contract employees were unable to use slack. Emojis gave people with epilepsy seizures at least twice due to bad internal actors. Amazon tried to make retention two weeks likely to cover something up only to brown out slack globally when they rolled it back after hiding whatever they sought out to hide.

Plenty more but those are what I can think of offhand.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

That’s kind of the point of a private channel

I'm on a slack server with a tool that allows you to list the private channels in a directory that have a specific bot in them so other people can find them.

Private channels are used by ERG's as safe spaces for venting/getting resources and sometimes it can be difficult to get into them to have access to that sort of resource especially if you're not sure about whether they exist or not.

This was a big issue since in terms of intersectionality, shot up plane images aside, people who are in marginalized communities often are working fc and contract jobs.

So their inability to both join, and find places for collaboration with peers was a really massive frustration from a DEI perspective. And like any good FAANG company Amazon loves to :circlejerk: about how amazing it is at DEI despite being middling at best.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Methanar posted:

I have no idea what you're doing, but I'm fairly confident that's not how I'd build my tech stack.

usecond write latency is a big ask, but cassandra would be my completely uninformed recommendation as a replacement for your weirdo time series DB I've never heard of. Clickhouse might be worth looking into as well.

Even if you don't care, you should still watch how Cassandra works as an inspiration of how to build a good write-path.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_HTdrTgGNs

C* also uses the Dynamo System so reading that white paper is useful as well if you haven't already.

We just moved off of C* to DDB. C* is a giant pain in the rear end to self manage and requires a dedicated DBA and if you think it doesn't you're going to be in for sad times and your devops engineer is going to hate you.

AWS managed C* is probably fine I would highly discourage you from rolling your own on EC2 though.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Learning what failure conditions look like what is part of the joy of AWS because they definitely don't make it obvious.

I worked there and ran into issues all the time with init scripts not working and me thinking the issue was with the cfn file itself.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

kalel posted:

can someone recommend a decent tutorial project for terraform and/or ansible that has a bit more complexity than "here's an ec2 that prints hello world"

Terraform up and running by oreilly has a lot of more involved examples later in the book. It's what I used to learn for my company.

Unrelated rant but does anyone at their company have issues getting people to use the loving terraform linter?

I put in a PR the other day and this guy from another org absolutely ripped apart the formatting and it was all the linter. This is exactly what linters are for. To prevent this sort of lovely pedantic bickering.

I was so pissed.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 28, 2023

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

luminalflux posted:

Yes, we run tflint as part of pre-commit-hooks for the repo. We also run pre-commit in CI on all our repos to ensure that someone doesn’t miss running it. Branch protection in GitHub means that you need a PR to merge and checks must be green to merge.

Edit: we also use Atlantis to plan/apply so you don’t have to handhold people into their AWS setup

I should look into that.

You will comply.

Or else. :black101:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Wonder if he was just scraping Twitter. I've seen other companies do that for status pages with accurate results.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

One iac repo per microservice. Anything more will drive you insane and doesn't scale. We currently have this guest engineering team at my job that stuck like 3 microservice worth of iac in a single repo and when I submitted a 1500 line cr for it absolutely screamed at me. So we shelved my cr and are just going to wait until they go away and then merge it.

(Rewriting peoples tf code to be idiomatic doesn't make friends but they could have read the book the same as me but elected not to so they don't have anything to stand on, as noted previously I'm sticking that tf linter on our hooks as soon as I get back from leave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Terraform cloud does a lot of the same stuff but market share is still a bit limited.