Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hello thread. as part of my job, I'm trying to learn more about AWS. is there a thread-recommended up-to-date "AWS for dummies"-esque resource that is more succinct and high-level than Amazon's documentation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Out of curiosity, would there ever be a reason to use an EC2 with a database image instead of RDS? I have some microservices inside fargate tasks which connect to a MySQL RDS (or at least, I'm trying to and am currently in the process of debugging). My understanding is that the typical industry standard way to manage a database is through RDS for scalability and convenience, but is there ever a motivation not to do that?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

system administration? software automation?

...something awful?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

accessing my load balancer's DNS yields a 503 service unavailable error. I have an ECS cluster, my fargate containers are "running," I have health checks defined... so why is my target group not allowing me to register any targets. why are there no available instances in the resource list. wtf is going on fuuuck

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

aws sucks, dev ops sucks. Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just realized that my previous job used lunch n learns but my current pm uses brown bag. weird

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I can't just react to a post on this old dumb forum so

:respek:

what an odd statement. that's the nature of a forum. a post invites posts which invite posts, ipso facto. if that doesn't work for you, start a diary

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm in the process of learning how to set up an EKS cluster for some microservices which need to process requests from the internet. I was considering using a Fargate profile for the workload, but it would require me to set up a NAT gateway to connect the private-subnet-only Fargate pods to public subnets. My question is, is there any appreciable advantage to using Fargate pods over a node group with EC2s? My impression is that it seems to be more setup and most cost for little gain

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

They mean that you can't just smash a "like" button

oh I'm an idiot

thanks y'all. compliance is a subject I want to gain more experience with, so it would behoove me to set up EC2s as a learning exercise. plus I'm intending to use the nginx ingress controller which requires a managed node group anyway

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what's the market share of pulumi vs. terraform and ansible? is it actually being used at scale? I haven't heard of it before lol, so I'm curious

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arzakon posted:

I just hit 8 years, 6 as an SA/SA Manager. Life is great, I enjoy it, some people don't.

would you say the experience has been sa-sa

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

can someone recommend a decent tutorial project for terraform and/or ansible that has a bit more complexity than "here's an ec2 that prints hello world"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

setting up a pihole in the cloud and make it HA with shared configs and blocklists using ASGs, spot instances, and EFS is usually my go to for the people I mentor. Add an ALB or NLB, monitoring with Cloudwatch, alerting and logging, and so on. Make it run in a container and use certbot and HTTPS for your internal domain. Restrict access to only your public IP of course so AWS doesn’t yell at you for running an open resolver, or set up a openVPN along with it with profiles for iPhone/android, computers, and so on. Configure DNS over HTTPS. Deploy your terraform and ansible with CI/CD using GitHub actions.

Lose the load balancer and you can do this all in the free tier.

sounds cool. is there a tutorial walkthrough you would recommend because I'm not smart/experienced enough to figure that all out on my own

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is there a way to send bucket notifications from an s3 in one account to an sqs queue in a different account? I don't know why I shouldn't be able to do it without the use of lambda or eventbridge, but I can't find an example that doesn't use one of those

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

For the past few weeks, my prod postgresql RDS instance's CPUUtilization metric rises steadily throughout the day to a max of ~8% and then drops instantly to ~2% at 00:00 UTC, every day, like clockwork. Any reason why that would be the case? Google is giving me nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

Autovacuuming?

that's what I first thought but I believe auto vacuuming happens non-periodically, whereas cpu plummets always at midnight

I opened an AWS support case and supposedly it's due to a daily log switchover. system monitoring processes have less data to be read from the log, utilization drops, then creeps back up as more data is written to the new log file. it's weird that cpu would go up based on the size of the log file but it doesn't seem to affect performance, it was an oddity more than anything :shrug: