Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You need to elaborate more. Sensors like you’re reading camera data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Aws has a hiring freeze as I understand it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

xpander posted:

Thanks, that's really helpful! Right now we're pre-launch, and serverless dev environments don't exactly rack up the spend so we won't have an account manager any time soon. Very interesting re: APN as we're bootstrapping via consulting, so this might be applicable. I was kind of under the impression that these were "try out/launch your startup" credits, I didn't realize this was meant for organizations who already had significant operations.

Digitalocean will generally through you some credits. Smaller clouds wanna get in on poo poo before you get big so uh exaggerate

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hed posted:

We have an application set running on EKS that seems to take way too much infrastructure. My 1.0 version (non-kubernetes) ran on 1 t2.medium and now the re-architected version takes 5 t3.larges. The CPU usage is very small across these, though... most of our workflows spend their time waiting for I/O. There's no memory or disk I/O pressure.

The problem is IP addresses. If we try to run too many pods on our EKS we get a "can't schedule pod" message and EKS complains that it's out of IP addresses to allocate. Right now we are running 67 pods and going much higher would require a 6th instance in the cluster.

Where should I look to research this problem and allow for more multiplexing on the same instances? I found this article about optimization, but things like network overlays don't seem like the first thing I'd want to reach for in terms of complexity.

You're running 67 pods and running out of ips? are you using IPAM? what's your CNI? how many nodes? So like the default for eks I think is 150 pods per node but you're not where hitting that.