Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does AWS have a service that lets you perform geospatial queries? I'm using Cloudsearch right now, tied to DynamoDB, but I don't really relish the setup as I will have to perform the geospatial query in Cloudsearch, then use the result set to query in DynamoDB to get the full data (and to do updates/deletes). The other non-option is DynamoDB's outdated Java-only geospatial add-on that's unsuitable for any kind of non-trivial work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

FamDav posted:

what makes the geospatial library unsuitable beyond 'holy poo poo this thing is like 6 or so SDK revisions out of date"?

Works only with point data (no polygon support)
Can't update location data, will have to delete/insert
Java-only (we're using Node)
Slow as poo poo
Actually doesn't work out of the box, you'll have to rebuild it to make use of updated Jackson dependencies (since they changed namespaces a while back)
Amazon hasn't updated it for 4 years so they probably don't care about it

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For learning purposes, I'm creating a Twitter bot that hourly tweets random lyrics/phrases and I need to decide whether I should implement it on Lambda or EC2 (free tier).

The basic gist is:

code:
1 Read list A containing items to be tweeted
2 Read list B containing items that have already been tweeted for the day
3 Pick an item from list A at random
4 If that item is not in list B,
5   Tweet it
6   Add tweeted item to list B
7 Else,
8   Go to 3 (assume we have at least 24 items to cover an entire day)
9 If list B already has 24 items, clear it
Based on my knowledge, for Lambda you have to get the data from somewhere (as it's serverless), so it would be either in simple JSON files in S3 (list B could be simpler even), or DynamoDB. Is simple file I/O in Lambda permissible and well within the free tier? To implement on EC2 would be more straightforward, but I've done that before (I have a Twitter bot running on Heroku that does the same thing) and I prefer to go down the road not taken.

What do you think? At most the bot will only run 24 times a day.