Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Anyone done the advanced networking cert? I'm 6/7 and just failed it - need another good course resource other than acloud.guru. Has anyone used linuxacademy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Not free but a cloud guru is very cheap.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

So the security exam is back in beta - first sessions to sit are on Monday. https://aws.amazon.com/certification/beta-exam/

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I've seen beanstalk used in production when someone just wanted to run a single instance of a docker container.

It's also good for quickly moving between versions of code.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Also because s3 has a unique namespace and bucket deletion can take unexpectedly long sometimes, you might run into issues if deleting and recreating buckets with the same name. It's good to put some kind of time/date stamp in the name, or even just a random number if you're going to fully automate this.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I get massively intimidated by the prospect of taking any of the AWS exams due to the ridiculously quick pace that it's developing at. Should really put some effort in and give it a shot.

The exams are almost all still very 2015, and the pace of change on them isn't huge.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

fluppet posted:

Where has decent study material/practice papers for the professional level exams?

I did both using only A Cloud Guru, and whitepapers.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Acidian posted:

This thread made me set up an AWS free tier account and run an ec2 instance for my web server as well as a mariadb RDS.

I just got a mail saying I have spent 640 hours of my 750 hours monthly alotment for my EC2. I don't understand why. 750 hours is enough to leave it running all month, and I am only running one EC2 instance.

What am I not understanding?

When did you set it up?

Also are they saying you're projected to spend it, or you have spent it?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Acidian posted:

I can't remember when I set it up he account. I first set up a an Amazon linux distro, but then when I logged in a few weeks later to set up the server it was gone. So I set up an ubuntu distro in stead on March 27th, using the t2.micro.

Under "instances" in my admin panel, there is only one EC2 running (well I stopped it now, because I didn't want to go over the limit).

I have spent 650 hours and I am projected to go 80% over my monthly limit.

Edit: Even though my server is turned off, my hours are still ticking. I think my account is bugged, so I will contact support.

Sounds like you have one up in another region.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Volguus posted:

Yes, it takes around 45 seconds to complete right now in a medium 1cpu instance of AWS, 20 seconds to complete on our local workstations with a reasonable (expected) load. So, maybe then aws batch?

Lambda's max timeout is 5 minutes, so it's probably you could get it to work?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

To AWS staff - is AWS as much of a sweatshop to go work for as Amazon is supposed to be?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

jiffypop45 posted:

Like most jobs it depends largely on your team. I don't feel like that about my team. However I work on C2S/SC2S (AWS for the IC) so it's a totally different atmosphere from commercial and even GovCloud.

I'd probably be some form of client facing architect. I have all the certs, 7 years experience on the platform, run a national competency in Oz for a multinational big consultancy. Getting a bit sick of the consultant lifestyle.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

When are we getting aurora serverless? :D

I know you can't answer, but I can't wait.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Arzakon posted:

Just complain until you get a new TAM and be clear on what you want out of them. Some people just want a dude to read a QBR to them and help triage tickets but if you want someone with some technical specialty just ask.

This is the right answer. We have some duds in the public services sector in Australia, otherwise they're all amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I got all the certs with a subscription to acloud.guru. Honestly worth it if you want to churn them out.

I can't speak to apps tho