Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

amazing how trying to get a serverless function to talk to a standard database turns into a multi-day full-thread-page derail into networking crap

just open your rds to the internet. who cares. its earthquake data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

its not engineering if you're not using numbers

"sporadic" doesn't mean anything. neither does "acceptable".

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i've worked for a handful of b2b saas companies that deploy some stuff into the customers aws account (even if just an iam role/policy to assume) and my general breakdown of clients was:
80% - did not use infra as code at all
10% - used terraform and are very tribal/opinionated/social-signal-y about it
10% - just used cloudformation
.0001% - used cdk or pulimi or ansible

so for aws only environments you dealt with 90% of your customers by using cloudformation, because the web-UI and background state are handled by amazon. introducing tf to their env would create the prereq for "where does it run and save state" which is just a total gently caress-that conversation to be avoided.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

on the plus side you've given that kid an important career lesson in why people tune out the grumpy old dude

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is anyone here using Azure CDNs from akamai. How are you handling their impending retirement? (October 31)
wow imagine how embarrassing this would be to admit