Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I'm using ECS to try and get a short lived container to run. In the task definition I'm using parameter store to grab my secrets for my app to use as environment variables. This all works fine if I manually create a task through the dashboard, select all the settings and then enter in the env variables through the container UI.

However, if I use the JSON option (Task definitions -> create new -> configure via JSON) and I input my task def that way, the secrets are stripped out and I have to go through the dashboard and enter them manually.

This is a problem because I'm trying to do this all through github actions, where when the action runs, it creates a new task definition revision which I can just execute. However, this same issue is happening when the action pushes the task definition to ECS(secrets no longer are in the task definition).

Is this a setting I can change somewhere? Am I loving something up or is this a feature?

As an example, just to show what i'm talking about, an example task defnition:

code:
{
  "ipcMode": null,
  "executionRoleArn": "myrole",
  "containerDefinitions": [
    {
      "dnsSearchDomains": null,
      "logConfiguration": {
        "logDriver": "awslogs",
        "secretOptions": null,
      "secrets": [
        {
          "name": "myParamName",
          "valueFrom": "arn:aws:ssm:us-east-1:<myId>:parameter/pathToMyParam"
        },
        {
          "name": "myOtherParamName",
          "valueFrom": "arn:aws:ssm:us-east-1:<myId>:parameter/pathToMyOtherParam"
        }
      ],
      "privileged": null,
      "name": "myContainer"
    }
  ],
}
so if that gets pushed to ECS, I then go and check the new revision created and the secrets part just isn't there. I run my app and it throws saying the variable/secret is null.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
edit n/m ignore me

sausage king of Chicago fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 21, 2020

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I'm trying to set up a Cloudwatch dashboard to monitor the health of my SQS queues. Looking into the metrics available, I'm having a few issues finding ones that are helpful. So far on my dashboard I have:

1) A line graph for NumberOfMessagesSent. To this I added an anomaly detection band so I'll see if the number - high or low - is outside the normal range.
2) A gauge for my dead letter queue with ApproximateNumberOfMessagesVisible with a Sum stat, with the idea that anything > 0 is a problem.
3) A line graph for ApproximateAgeofOldestMessage with the Maximum stat. If this goes up, there is a problem.

I was wondering if anyone has any other useful graphs they use for queue health and if these make sense? I'm new to this so wondering what other people use.