Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have documentation on installing an 'unsupported' Operating System in EC2? I've seen documentation on an unsupported process where you import an image from the source, mount it to the EC2 instance, and then dd over to the root disk; but I'm unable to find a good document on this.

Anyone happen to know about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

fluppet posted:

Does the vm import service not cover this for you? How exotic an os are we talking about?

This is an R&D project and the development team wants to run a custom kernel developed in-house. We just had a conference call with Amazon and their SA was adamant that it's possible to do an import the way I described above to get around the limitations of the AWS Image-Import service, but that Amazon cant support it or provide docs outside of the image import service (and the kernel thats being developed certainly isnt on the supported list).

I know I've come across documentation on this; but luck would have it that I cant find the documents now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Destroyenator posted:

If you're able to boot whatever it is from grub you might be able to copy the steps from here: https://mirage.io/wiki/xen-boot on how to do it for unikernels and just substitute whatever disk image you're putting on there.

It looks like the pv-grub image number may be outdated (and it varies per region anyway) so check that if you do want to try it that way.

Thank you. I think this is what I was looking for!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

This is what we do to allow a common root "descend into child" permission;

First the role

Then trust relationship

code:
{
  "Version": "2012-10-17",
  "Statement": [
    {
      "Effect": "Allow",
      "Principal": {
        "AWS": "arn:aws:iam::0000000000000:root"
      },
      "Action": "sts:AssumeRole",
      "Condition": {}
    }
  ]
}

This is pretty much what we do. I wrote a bootstrap scipt with Python/Boto3 that will bring our new accounts into alignment with this and allow assuming roles. Works pretty great.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:same:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

StabbinHobo posted:

speaking of eks... is it ever going to happen? did something go horribly wrong in the beta?

Very curious too.

I've been on the public preview waitlist since the first day it was announced.
I've heard from various folks that it's still really rough around the edges.

I'm trying to hold off on using kops to roll out a cluster for a project in case EKS gets out of preview, but I have no feel for timelines and I think we're going to end up going down the kops path for this project.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I like Terraform and find CloudFormation a bit verbose but both are fine

Fight me

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

AND lazy evaluation of conditional results. The amount of voodoo shite we've had to pull because it evaluates both the true & false case regardless is infuriating.

Yes. This is such a poo poo show now. I'm excited

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What do I need to do to get a TAM assigned to my organization? My organization's monthly spend is growing pretty rapidly - and that's ok - but as the IT director I'd like to establish a POC for escalation / coordinating in the event we need it (haven't yet, thankfully)

Can't seem to find a good line of communication and have submitted a request to support and haven't gotten any useful info yet - just want to be sure I'm not missing a correct route for asking.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Agrikk posted:

The only way to get a TAM assigned to your account is to sign an enterprise support agreement. Where is your company based and what is your average approximate monthly spend?

Thanks guys.

We've gone from about ~$5k/mo to ~$40k/mo over the last year. So we're inching towards the enterprise support contract being super worthwhile. I'll have to look at some numbers and see if I can make a compelling case.

I really just want an escalation point for when support isn't quite getting it (and by "getting it" - I mean moving unreasonably slowly on something / passing the buck). Doesnt happen too often; but every so often I'll catch a case we have open that seems to move unreasonably slowly. (Almost all of them seem to revolve around GovCloud items, admittedly.)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone run into Redshift snapshots not capturing views? AWS support says its not expected behavior, but have had some scheduling conflicts getting a screenshare going. Curious if anyone has run into this while I try to nail down scheduling.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

An easy option is just using Cloudfront with TLS termination. At least I think that’s doable.

Easy fix; no ALB / EC2 costs for a reverse proxy. I haven’t looked at my blog code in years but I’m like 90% that’s what I ended up doing for that back when

I can’t remember if Cloudfront does the redirect but S3 can do that easily if not

Edit: and yeah Cloudfront is silly for it but also cheap as poo poo and easy / zero overhead to manage generally

Walked fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

How often do you use the AWS CLI versus CloudFormation versus Console? My goal is to build good practices while I'm self-learning, in eventual hopes of employment using AWS.

I.e. I'm walking thru a tutorial creating a VPC, subnets, IGW, SGs etc... I'm clicking thru the console but I know that isn't ideal. Should I be using the AWS CLI for these small spinups and save CF for multi-day projects?

Or should I get in the habit of using CF and learning how to build templates for anything and everything?

And please forgive me for peppering this thread with low-level questions, I don't know anyone that uses cloud tech.

Generalization:

Infrastructure as code (CFN, tf, etc):
orchestration and managing resources you’re going to depend on over time and/or recreate ever.

Console:
Exploration, sometimes quick breadcrumbing connecting resources to view relationships; trying new services out before coding them

AWS CLI:
Mostly ad-hoc info gathering - “gimme a list of untagged ec2 instances”; sometimes bootstrapping or actions in a pipeline somewhere

SDK:
Building tools or automation to glue poo poo together

Spoken from the perspective of platform engineering / SRE and slightly over-generalized but it’s how I tend to think about them