Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, it should work, but why not just install it in an azure vm directly? Is there a technical reason, or a "we need to make sure it is in a supported configuration" reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm just 2 minutes in and he already has the wrong definition of cloud.

e: he's obsessed with the cloud being just vm's on other peoples harder and ignoring literally every other service provided.
e2: "everythings working fine except we have hardware reliability problems"
e3: He does have a point that IPSEC endpoints in a cloud provider is PITA
e4: I agree; websockets with tls and dns autodiscovery and don't give a gently caress about IPSEC and ip addresses

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 31, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:justpost:

There are a handful of azure folks that read the thread.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrik is your man

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not AWS specific, but I use the atmoz/sftp docker container for that kind of stuff.

specify volumes and keys in docker-compose or as run arguments

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have some users in AWS Workspaces that are accessing a resource in Azure and I want to lock it down a bit more.

Is there any documentation about what IP addresses the Workspaces traffic will be coming from?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Or look at doing a VPN tunnel between the two virtual networks

In the end we just set up a client vpn from the workspaces to the azure network.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I just don't want to hit some weird validation issue in the API/portal and need to push it through support to get fixed. Though I've just realised I can find out pretty quickly by just adding a /8 route to my test tenant and seeing what happens.

I happened to be doing other stuff in the portal and did this real quick:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you sure? this looks kinda weird
code:
/home/fool/butts.jsonfile://

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

1. Why do AWS folk refer to the interviews as "loops"?

Not an AWS person, but whenever I hear people talk about it I think of "feedback loops" where each interview is a loop, and the results of the previous one is fed into the next one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I prefer to go down the road not taken.

Do it in azure functions

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Is it possible to setup an S3 bucket to host a static website but not allow public access to it? I would want to be able to access it only from machines in a specific VPC via an S3 Endpoint.

I know this is possible in Azure with blob storage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there an Azure equivalent of the Google Identity-Aware Proxy?

I just want to put a service in Azure that exposes a web UI, and put that behind an Azure AD login as it's an internal-only service. Azure AD Application Proxy would work, but it would need to run on a separate Windows VM, and I can't see any sort of as-a-service version of it for workloads that are already in Azure.

Pretty sure they want you to integrate azure ad directly or use saml in that situation.

See the custom developed and non-gallery options at this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/manage-apps/what-is-application-management

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is it in an app service? The built in app service authentication might work for you.

quote:

How it works
The authentication and authorization module runs in the same sandbox as your application code. When it's enabled, every incoming HTTP request passes through it before being handled by your application code.
An architecture diagram showing requests being intercepted by a process in the site sandbox which interacts with identity providers before allowing traffic to the deployed site
This module handles several things for your app:
Authenticates users with the specified provider
Validates, stores, and refreshes tokens
Manages the authenticated session
Injects identity information into request headers
The module runs separately from your application code and is configured using app settings. No SDKs, specific languages, or changes to your application code are required.

Otherwise you might be able to do header rewrites with application gateway, but that would be my last resort.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not in AWS, but I build a url shortener with azure functions where the URL’s are specified as environment variables

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

If you're a megacorp with a sweet private licensing agreement with Microsoft

We're ending SA on a bunch of stuff and teams are scrambling to migrate from MSSQL run on-prem or on azure vm's to cosmos or azure sql

It's fun to watch, super glad I'm not in the trenches for any of those teams

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, sorry, it's not video but it takes moderately high rate measurements, maybe 240-1000 kb/s, but the device is used for engineering tests, not continuous monitoring, so we upload recordings of a few seconds to a few minutes up to S3, process it into some characteristics we put into the database, and let the user download it if they want.

I feel like the big questions might be how good is Azures IoT support, and how much would everything need to restructure if we're DynamoDB based now and have to move to Cosmos or whatever Azure has.

Also, sorry if Azure is too off topic. I thought this was a general Web Service thread. It doesn't look like there's an Azure thread, so maybe that says something about Azure vs AWS?

There's a bunch of Azure guys around, we also post in the other IT threads.

I'm not doing anything with Azures IoT stuff, but I have soooo much cosmos db in my environment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been assigned to make some kind of short presentation and KB article for my new job about an AWS topic that would be useful for our developers. What topic do you all wish that developers understood better in AWS? We use a mix of EC2 VMs and Fargate EC2 containers, I'm thinking maybe something about how auto-scaling works so that if developers make something that causes a huge resource-intensive spike they can understand why everything moves slow for a little bit until autoscaling catches up.

the devs I support are all hilariously bad at secret management

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you don't even need a few days

just a few hours to read up on osi + a handful of the most common protocols and you'll be in the top 10% easy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't use ecs for your frontend, publish it to s3

don't use jenkins

I don't have opinions about the rest of it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My understanding is that S3 is only for static websites, this would need to be able to have text fields, radio buttons/modals, and would be creating new subtasks based on what the user enters. Am I wrong about S3's website capabilities? It would be kind of like a ticketing system but with a different focus so it doesn't feel like an existing ticketing system would be a good choice.

You're fundamentally wrong about how client-side js and modern web dev works and need to bone up on those concepts before you make anything that will be used by a paying customer.

Your clients money would be better spent on a SaaS product.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sorry if that sounds harsh, just trying to be up front about the difficulties of actually producing a usable application that a paying customer would use.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You could also do something as simple/ dumb as a table in notion.so

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

very little?

unless there's a performance issue or an outage, or we need to scale out a subnet

most of the time if i'm starting a new project I'll take some time on the front end to design the network components then I don't have to think about it again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's the kind of thing that comes with familiarity and practice though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

both of my last two jobs called them "lunch n learns"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

along those lines, I got rejected by honeycomb.io last week

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

maybe re-read my post :D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ah, cool thanks

honeycomb is definitely on my shortlist of places I think would be good to work for, I will likely take another shot in the future

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Punished for dreaming of a better life

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gotta eat your dog food

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was curious and it looks like our flagship application, off season, is at $50k/month

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Terraform isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree that it has stagnated and Hashi seems to be struggling to keep up with innovation in the IaC space, but it will continue to be an employable skill for years to come.

Just like PHP.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

get free trial accounts and run through https://learntocloud.guide

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thinking of lying.cloud? That was a quinnypig thing but he took it down a while ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

put them in separate folders from the root

ie
/infra
/webapp

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

putting them in separate repos isnt a terrible idea either, but imo for smaller projects it just makes more sense to keep everything together

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I see it in larger projects that split microservices up into separate repos but they still share infrastructure so the iac config is in its own repo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I would fully migrate to pulumi before trying to shove terraform cdk into things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

azure dns is ridiculously easy though