Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jiffypop45 posted:

AWS released their docs on GitHub today. I'm not 100% certain what the difference between what's online now and what's in there but they're also accepting commits and merge requests on top of it which is cool from the sake of improving documentation.

FWIW:

I have customers who now monitor the AWS repositories so they can be notified when docs are added or modified. This allows them to stay on top of feature releases and best practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jiffypop45 posted:

Customers? Are you a TAM at AWS? Or a reseller? That's a cool use case. I didn't think about that option.

I’m a TAM at AWS, yes.

It’s funny because notifications has been the biggest excitement generator for most enterprise customers I know.

Updating someone else’s docs? Not so much.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The region thing in AWS being a global setting is fairly annoying - I’d like to see all instances returned and then a column for region that can be filtered.

I assume there’s a good technical reason for this and presumably it ensures that each region is separated from another so you don’t have issues with your local region meaning you also lose management of other regions but I’ve not read anything that explains why it’s the way it is.

It’s a blast radius thing. When you flip between regions, you are literally flipping to a new instance of AWS that lives somewhere else. As services are launched they start with a single target region and then a new block of service infrastructure is spun up in a new region, and things progress from there.

At AWS almost everything is modular. Except for stuff like billing and a few other things. Traditionally we leave it up to the customer to unify things to their liking. But Organizations does a lot to unify stuff across accounts and regions.

In your case, where you’d want to see all instances everywhere, we’d expect you to build that report yourself using the API.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

jiffypop45 posted:

Can you contact a solutions architect at AWS directly? That's their jobs but I don't know if they only do it for big enterprise contracts or not.

Theoretically every account has a account manager and a SA. However said account team probably has a spreadsheet of literally thousands of accounts, so ymmv. If you only have developer support your best bet is the AWS forums or here (maybe I can help). But if you have business support or higher you have an account team that you should be able to contact directly.

AWS ProServ (Professional Services) might be a help here. They are basically experts for hire by the hour/day/week/month who might be able to give you the expertise you are looking for on a temporary basis.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 23, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

StabbinHobo posted:

speaking of eks... is it ever going to happen? did something go horribly wrong in the beta?

https://aws.amazon.com/eks/

It’s in public preview right now.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Rapner posted:

To AWS staff - is AWS as much of a sweatshop to go work for as Amazon is supposed to be?

AWS is the red-headed step child of Amazon and is insanely successful so we are left pretty much alone. I hear that some services work their SDEs pretty hard though, but I don’t know any so I cannot speak to that. On the TAM/SA/AM side of things it’s pretty chill. You work hard and are plenty busy but it is engaging work with plenty of room for life in the work/life balance.

I’m posting this from my work laptop as I sit with my feet up in my backyard FWIW.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Volguus posted:

Jesus, why does everything have to be so complicated? I'll study spinnaker more, but all I want is to update the image a launch configuration is using. Ideally one command from my side that would launch the build, execute the tests, and if successful deploy.
Why ECS doesn't work? Because, as I said before, it takes 5 minutes for the thing to start up and launch the application that is in the container. I manually executed the lambda that started the task. With some notification system (SNS) would potentially take even longer. Everything in AWS seems to just take a long time. Like the other day I created an IAM user to get the AWS ID and secret key for docker deployment, and when I tried to login with it I got internal error for an hour, after which it magically just worked. Maybe stuff needs to propagate to places? No idea. I have absolutely no clue how this AWS monster works at all.

No wonder, with such complicated tooling, that there are people whose full-time job is to manage this cloud crap. I haven't tried any other cloud providers so I have no clue if the others are better or worse.

FYI you can update images with a dos script and a few environmrnt variables (or a couple of temp files:

Write a script that receives the new AMI ID of the updated image you created

The script then:

= Creates a new target group based on that AMI
= Removes the existing target group from your ASG
=Assigns your new target group to your ASG

=Captures the IDs of the EC2 instances currently assigned to the ASG

= Kills them one at a time with a few minute lag between terminations to allow the ASG appropriate time to spin up new instances from your new image

Fire off the single script with one data entry component then sit back and surf SA as your mighty script updates your app with zero downtime.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Sylink posted:

Jist stopping by to say aws enterprise support blows, never pruchase it for your company.

As an AWS TAM, I’d love to hear more about your situation. PM me if you want but it sounds like you have a crummy account team.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Arzakon posted:

It is 100% worth a shot opening up a CS ticket to see if they can do a one time I was a dumbass refund or even half. If you don't want your work to know about it I'd avoid mentioning it to your SA.

Definitely mention the steps you have taken to prevent it from happening again (turning on billing alerts, setting up a cloudwatch event to auto-turn off instances each night unless you add a specific tag, etc)

This.

People doing dumb things are fine. Especially if they have learned from their mistakes and won’t make them the same way again.

What we don’t want is a bill from a mistake souring the relationship a customer has with us.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the output from System Manager's Run Command all in a single file? I have a bunch of instances running a script but the outputs are all separated in S3 according to the commands and the instance IDs. I'd prefer to have all the outputs appended to a single file. Anyone know how?

I don’t think so.

The ways to get it all into a single file are legion but they are secondary processes.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

opie posted:

dumb hostnames.

Herd not pets. Why reference them as anything at all?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Arzakon posted:

Thank you for your cultural sensitivity but vegans are still mad at you.

I apologize for my carno-centric posting.

I humbly submit “weeds not herbs” as a substitute.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

Can anyone help me understand my options for shutting down an EMR cluster and how billing works in that situation? We have a couple set up that we don't need currently but will need again in the future (4-6 months from now). They are fairly large. Right now, the underlying EC2 instances have been turned off, but with EMR's per second billing, does EMR billing continue to accumulate even if the instances are turned off? I know I'll still be paying for the EBS volumes for the cluster's EC2 instances, but we probably won't convert those volumes to snapshots because that would require completely disassembling the EMR clusters. My question mainly is do EMR charges still apply if all of the EC2 instances in the cluster are turned off and the EMR cluster shows as Terminated? The billing page doesnt make it clear.

EMR is based on EC2 charges as you've noted. So if the EMR cluster shows as terminated and all instances are stopped or terminated then there are no charges. Any EBS volumes that exist will still incur a charge, also as you have noted. While an EMR cluster is on or active, you are charged per the minute for each active node in the cluster.

The power of EMR is that you turn it on, run a monster batch job on a zillion instances in a few minutes then shut it all down when you are done, costing you (minutes x notes) of compute time rather than having a bunch of server sitting around idle.

Also note: You shouldn't be keeping data on EBS for an EMR cluster after it is shut down. When the cluster is done doing what it needs to do, you should run a final export of all data and states to an S3 bucket then kill everything related to the cluster. In 4-6 months when you need it again, launch the cluster and import the data from S3 as an initial step. Storing data on S3 is orders of magnitude cheaper than storing it in EBS.

very stable genius posted:

CloudFormation is actually garbage and the last page of this thread has been hilarious watching people defend it.

Care to tell me why? I have many customers using CF to entirely automate their environments with great success. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to know how CF failed for you.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

very stable genius posted:

Hey CF, can you tell me what's going to change if I run this template? lol nope

Hey CF, why is this job running for so long? Well, you forgot to define something but instead of failing immediately on this missing piece of required data I'm gonna spin for a long time and fail after 10 minutes. lol

Hey CF, why is it that if a stack creation fails I need to go manually delete the stack before I can run it again? Because I loving suck.

+1’d on a couple of feature requests. Thank you!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Agrikk I assume you've had clients that bring a turd like this to you and assume :yaycloud: is just a place to run VMs for cheap?

Cut to Rutger Hauer's "I've seen things..." Bladerunner monologue.

Typically customers say, "Hold my beer. I got this." with their enterprise migration and our response is lukewarm at best. We've seen customers go the lift and shift route countless times and then burn their budget to the ground. It's one thing to have customers do lift and shift due to datacenter contracts coming due and then subsequently convert to cloud native. We like working with folks like this because they have a solid plan and are open to suggestions.

The PITA customers do a 1-for-1 migration, then come crying that "AWS isn't cheaper!" and our response is always "You are doing it wrong."

We literally beg customers to listen to us. It is so hard having the aggregate experience of millions of account-years at our fingertips and having know-it-all customers ignore all of our cloud best practices because they deem themselves unique snowflakes who "do IT different".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

This.

This S3 feature launch should have had no impact on your existing workload. If you are seeing issues with S3 I always suggest opening a support case first.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Steve French posted:

Oh of course, I've already done that and will continue to do so. But they haven't been of much help yet

PM me with your case number and I’ll see what I can do.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

AWS offers trainings where instructors come on site to train your peeps up. That’s the expensive option.

You might want to look at Qwiklabs. Their AWS stuff is fairly straightforward and gout for getting your feet wet.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

When I looked around on their site a few months ago the only free stuff that seemed relevant to us was introductory 'cloud practitioner' classes that while broad and helpful didn't go into a lot of details. I think that broad course plus the quiklabs stuff might be what my boss is looking for. I'll see what he thinks.

On the off chance you are on AWS Enterprise Support you get free Qwiklabs credits every year.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Or AWS could just implement describe-limits for Redshift like, I dunno, half their other poo poo with Service Limits.

Imagine each service is it’s own company acting as a subsidiary to a parent shell corporation. Imagine each company implementing things their own way, with their own requirements, APIs and so forth.

Now imagine trying to put all hundred forty plus companies under a single pane of glass for management, billing and limits.

That is AWS in a nutshell. Some teams do a better job of playing with others than others. There is an ongoing effort to make that single pane of glass more transparent, but there are still gaps as you have found.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 13, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Startyde posted:

. Our needs are memory bound not cpu.

I hear ya. I hear of lots of customers running into memory constraints and having to upgrade to a larger instance/tier/etc because they need more memory and the cpu stats mostly idle.

It’s a cost and logistics function: an underlying fleet has x amount of cpu and y amount of memory. Therefore all things come in a fixed ratio of x to y.

But it certainly would be nice to have a tomcat machine running on one half x and ten times y.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Let me see if I understand this:

- You have b1b1b1b1b.1a1a1a1a1a.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com that resolves to 10.1.0.23 in VPC1

- You have EC2 instance myinstance.us-west-2.ec2.amazon.com that resolves to 10.99.087 in VPC99

- When you try to ping b1b1b1b1b.1a1a1a1a1a.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com from myinstance.us-west-2.ec2.amazon.com it does not resolve because VPC100 in us-west-2 does not know about what is in VPC99 in us-east-1.

Is this what you are saying?

If so: a workaround is to stand up 1 DNS server in both VPCs with conditional forwarders to 10.1.0.2 and 10.99.0.2 and point all of your resources to your internal DNS servers. Each VPC has a set of AWS DNS servers that get queried by any object local to that VPC. The point is to collect all these disparate VPC namespaces into a single place at a single point that knows about all of them.

For your situation, though, the AWS recommended solution is to set up a replica at the destination and the stuff local to that queries the local instance.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 21, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

FYI-

The decision to go multi-region should not be taken lightly. As you have already discovered, the architectural decisions that must be made, and made correctly, determine the success of your workload.

Ideally you would have an AWS architect on staff as well as a DBA and together these two will explore options that AWS provides as well as the requirements of your application. there isn’t a Right Way of doing Multi Region. There is only the Right Way For You.

That said, RDS Postgres can do Multi-Region, but only with one write master and the rest read replicas. But that might change with re:Invent so you might want to wait until then before committing to an architecture.

Also, consider the Postgres flavor of Aurora for your database. It’s more performant and less expensive to run at scale.

You could always do Postgres on EC2 and turn on and configure replication yourself but please don’t do this.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Somebody called?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Probably no one cares but I got this working in GCE pre-emptible instances and it's pretty sweet! Had to learn docker and some other concepts, but now I get to watch my results my roll in. Instead of using some sort of master node, I'm just keeping track in the database of what's been worked on most recently and having each worker choose its own node at startup.

GCP is now recommending I increase the memory size, but I'm not seeing any memory usage beyond 400MB in docker stats, and I provisioned 2 GB. Everything seems to be running fine, so I assume I'm safe to ignore the recommendation.

This is good work.

I know I am late to the party here, but your master node idea would have introduced a bottleneck, a potential single point of failure and data loss.

You have built a perfectly stateless application environment that is scaleable and resilient to failure. You, sir, understand how to cloud and I hope you are working for a company that appreciates that.

Otherwise AWS is always hiring!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

When I started at AWS I had literally zero cloud experience, but I had a ton of virtualization and infra experience. During the interview process I was able to demonstrate an ability to quickly learn new technology, adapt to the changing needs of an organization, dive deep into a problem/technology as needed and not do dumb things more than once.

Tech can be taught. Processes can be taught. Common sense, insight, and a willingness to grow and learn cannot.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

Definitely recommend not using AWS if you can avoid it.

Yes, please go encourage others to spend business capital on non differentiated work in a dev-shop. Stand up your VMs and your email and storage and then hire people to manage that stuff in that office of 3-4 developers.

quote:

If you must use AWS I'd also really suggest you start with the managed services like beanstalk, emr, athena, redshift, etc. I've joined a few orgs now where several years of effort have gone into reinventing "basically _____ but worse" and it's always a nightmare mountain of technical debt and team silos.

This is better advice.

quote:

If you feel like you can't use whatever the managed service is for your use case it's always worth engaging your TAM / support team and confirming your suspicions. Generally I've had good experiences with account management staff being upfront about "yes, x service will not work for your use case at this time, but we have y,z feature requests open and we will keep you updated".

This is solid. Never not engage with your AWS account team.

Get yourself a cloud specialist as soon as you can and set the tone of your operations and developers early. You only get one shot to set the tone and pace of your shop and many a startup has failed simply because it stumbled out the gate trying to figure out how to implement and execute on its projects.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

StabbinHobo posted:

you were clear rats, agrikk just misfired his hot take pistol

This.

Sorry all. I misread the OP to mean standing up infrastructure rather than doing it managed, instead of using services in place of using infra at all.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

FYI the internal metadata web site has all kinds of information available. You should take a moment to point a browser at it and see what’s there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Forgall posted:

I have aws account that I barely use except for learning purposes and it keeps getting restricted in various ways. First it wouldn't allow me to create certificate for website I was trying to host at s3, now it won't allow me to create cloudfront distribution even though it worked before. Support ticket for this is a week old already. Is this normal?

PM me your account number and I’ll have a look when I have a moment.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm positive that this has been covered at some point, but what's considered the best S3 GUI for Windows? I'm perfectly fine working in CLI/API, but I have a few users asking and I honestly don't know. Someone mentioned wanting to have the S3 bucket as a mounted drive, which I'm sure is done. I figure I'd trust the working knowledge here more than just a quick Googling.

My customers use S3 Browser by the NetSDK folks. Most use the free version, but that is essentially for up and down stuff. For actual bucket management you’ll need the pro version which starts at thirty bucks a seat.

YMMV.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

Thanks. Ultimately the purchasing is out of my hands but I’m interested to know what’s being used. With as simple as the interface is I’m strongly considering just whipping up a Swing drag and drop explorer for fun and see how it compares.

Here are some more alternative options for graphical S3 management I have researched:

- AWS ElasticWolf Client Console (Fully Supported by AWS) Free software.

- Cyberduck - (3rd party) Free software.

Cyberduck is a Libre FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, Backblaze B2, Microsoft Azure & OneDrive and OpenStack Swift browser for Mac and Windows.
It just requires your AWS credentials and you can use the simple interface to download/upload/sync any of your buckets/folders/files.

- CloudBerry Explorer - (3rd party) Has a free version. Full feature costs $40.

CloudBerry Explorer for Amazon S3 provides a user interface to Amazon S3 accounts allowing to access, move and manage files across your local storage and S3 buckets. Amazon S3 file manager by CloudBerry is available in two versions – Freeware and PRO.
Freeware version. Free S3 browser comes with full support for such AWS features and services as Server Side Encryption, Lifecycle rules, Amazon CloudFront, Bucket Policies and more.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Umbreon posted:

If I wanted to get into cloud networking and infrastructure stuff, would it be a good idea to pick up any AWS certs?

Yes.

Get your AWS Solutions Architect - Pro cert.

It’s all about the AWS core services and putting them together to do things.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Awesome, is there a cert path to that, or do I just go straight for it?

You need to get the SA associate very first. Then sit for the SA Pro.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Scrapez posted:

I'm sure there's a very reasonable explanation but why can't you set DHCP Options Sets at the subnet level?

This is a perfectly reasonable request and one that I have heard countless times before.

At a very high level, it’s a performance issue. Allowing dhcp option sets per vpc is one thing. Allowing option sets for subnets, that can exist at a ratio of several hundred to one, is something else.

But yeah, option sets for subnets would be awesome.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Yeah, I guess I understand that. Perhaps they could make it so that only subnets of a certain size would be allowed to have dhcp options sets.

Speaking personally, I believe there should just be a fixed limit, say 5 or 10, of option sets per vpc. One could implement a default option set for the vpc and then allocate subnet option sets for special cases that could override the default.

But I don’t know the exact details from the networking guys, so I don’t know the real roadblocks to implementation.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Walked posted:

What do I need to do to get a TAM assigned to my organization? My organization's monthly spend is growing pretty rapidly - and that's ok - but as the IT director I'd like to establish a POC for escalation / coordinating in the event we need it (haven't yet, thankfully)

Can't seem to find a good line of communication and have submitted a request to support and haven't gotten any useful info yet - just want to be sure I'm not missing a correct route for asking.

The only way to get a TAM assigned to your account is to sign an enterprise support agreement. Where is your company based and what is your average approximate monthly spend?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Note that enterprise support starts at $15,000 per month and goes up from there.

I’m not sure your monthly spend makes having a TAM and the other perks worth it yet.

WRT your cases getting handled poorly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with copy/pasting the following text into your case:

“Dear [Blank]- I am feel frustrated with how this case has been handled thus far. Please engage with me more closely so we can resolve this case quickly and to our satisfaction. When can we schedule a call to talk about this?”

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Yep.

The "web" (email) option is for poo poo you just want to toss over the wall and forget about until you get a response.

The chat or phone options are the only way to ensure results. Sure, there won't be any multitasking (or even leaving your desk) by you while the case is being actively handled but it's being actively handled so it's a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

freeasinbeer posted:

Stupid question do I need to signup my sub accounts for enterprise? It’s the first time I’ve set one up in awhile and as far as I know our dedicated spend contract should just have that roll down right?

I guess I could bug our TAM, but :effort:

If your payer is on enterprise, your subs are on enterprise as well. But your subs also contribute to the total spend attributed to your payer so your enterprise support costs might go up when you link them.

It takes a support case to make it so: “hey. Please flip the bits that turn on ES for all accounts linked to our payer. Thank you.”