Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Pollyanna posted:

I have a question about EBS and baking AMIs. We're currently baking a new AMI for every new version of our app we want to deploy, and I'm wondering if there's a way around that? It takes 15~20 minutes to band one which means that every commit I push to Bitbucket takes half an hour to show up on its staging server. I have to debug some pipeline related poo poo and ensuring that long to run into yet another bug is driving me crazy. What can I do to mitigate this?

spinnaker or something like it can help here by building the ami state on a locally attached ebs volume instead of spinning up a new instance and building from scratch each time but i think most organizations create ami's that include everything but the application code/configuration and then use a minimal deploy tool + launch configurations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i use this to track what exists where: https://github.com/Netflix/edda/wiki

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

it has elastic beanstalk which is kinda like heroku if it was made by the government

if you want that kind of experience you should stick with google imo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

most dynamo clients should be able to return your remaining capacity per call, so you just need to throttle on your end

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Vanadium posted:

If banking unused capacity happens on a 1:1 basis, I shouldn't have any issues. Averaged over 30 seconds I'm consistently under the provisioned capacity. Getting throttled at that point makes sense to me if the banked capacity is only provided on a best-effort basis, if the underlying hardware has capacity to spare or whatever.

What I can't figure out is why I seem get throttled below my provisioned capacity on a per-second basis, but maybe I'm actually measuring that wrong and averaging too much there.

I haven't realized I can get numbers for my remaining capacity, that sounds a lot more useful than the consumed capacity I've looked at. I'm not sure what I get out of throttling myself, though--does getting throttled on the AWS side punish me by consuming even more capacity? Right now I just add exponentially backoff whenever at least one write in my batch gets throttled, but with how quickly a little bit of capacity refills that doesn't really do much, maybe I need to be more aggressive about backing off.

switch from exponential backoff to a codel queue. you'll get better throughput and lower average latency at the cost of p99 latency. (does not apply if you need ordered writes)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Anyone have suggestions for the best way to analyze CloudTrail logs? We're getting rate limited on some of our EC2 API calls and it's unclear why at a glance. Happens most in eu-central-1 fwiw.

athena if it's a one time thing, redshift if you want to do it frequently

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

I have a Redshift table that needs to be migrated over to DynamoDB. I've found a lot of resources regarding moving from Dynamo to Redshift, but not much for the opposite. Any ideas on how I can go about this?

you could run a spark job on emr that just reads straight from the db and inserts into dynamo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i worked with redshift every day and you can't do queries async and you can't hold open a lambda for more than five minutes. athena is basically redshift but slower however you can query it async if your queries don't need to be fast. otherwise you probably want to use something like emr and use lambda to kick off a cluster that runs a spark job with redshift or s3 as the backing store and have it write out results to a bucket and trigger sns on that write

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

he wants the buckets removed or the contents of the buckets? either way I'd do something with boto probably

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

Are there any better options for creating IAM users with access keys via cloud formation than outputting the access key as part of the template?

don't create access keys in cfn. grant users the ability to create and manage their own keys if they need them or use federation to allow them to assume roles instead

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

Yeah I’d rather not create them in cloud formation but how can I federate Kubernetes pods? I guess I can google it.

i thought this was for actual people users, my bad

i've only ever used https://github.com/jtblin/kube2iam for iam with k8s pods but i didn't set it up. as far as i know it doesn't require access keys or users at all

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Volguus posted:

What is the best way to run jobs/executable on demand in AWS? ECS/Fargate? AWS Batch? Some other mechanism?

i solved a similar problem to yours with sqs + cloudwatch alarms + lambda. we'd post new jobs to an sqs queue. an alarm on the queue would fire when the queue was nonempty and that would trigger a lambda that read the sqs message and started the job (in our case an emr cluster).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

devops isn't a person, it's a methodology

you wouldn't hire an agile person to agile up your software. altho i guess tons of places do this too

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Volguus posted:

Wait, devops is not a job title, a particular job description? "Devops" guys is totally I thing that I heard. And people do hire agile consultants, although I don't think many know what to actually expect of them.

To me (and probably I'm wrong) devops is the team/guy who manages the build infrastructure, artifacts and deployment. Am I wrong to believe that?

you are wrong, absolutely (but it's probably not your fault)

what devops is supposed to mean is that developers take responsibility for the operation of the software they write. this doesn't necessarily mean they need to carry a pager (but they probably should) and learn the difference between `/etc/some_garbage_i_wrote` and `/opt/some_garbage_i_wrote/config` but it means operational concerns like logging, telemetry, configuration, packaging and deployment need to be accounted for and handled during development. there's a bunch of ways you can accomplish this (embed operations people on development teams, include operations in planning, hire developers with operational experience, whatever) but it doesn't really matter how you do it. what matters is that the operational aspects are surfaced and dealt with during development

on the other side, operations don't just ssh into a machine and run `apt install some_garbage_someone_else_wrote`, put some db settings in a conf file and write an init script. when there's some production incident it's not sufficient they just restart the service or reboot the machine. they need to know enough about the software to do more than just open an issue and assign it to the developers. they should be actively involved in helping the developers discover and address the issue

so the key thing is that development and operations share a goal and are evaluated in the same way and they collaborate to deliver better results

if you have a 'devops' role or person and they are your jenkins admin or something or they write terraform modules to setup your infra then whatever that's fine, but what you really have is an infrastructure developer or software reliability engineer or just an operations person who knows how to code. if you're not doing the shared responsibility thing you're not doing devops even if you call it that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

cloudformation was pretty mediocre until late 2016. since then they've added a ton of great features

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

RVWinkle posted:

Hey can anybody help me with some syntax in my CloudFormation template? I'm making secure pihole stack just for fun and when I use conditions and paramaters with AWS::CloudFormation::Init: things go to hell. I have been searching around but haven't been able to find any code examples for this scenario.

This works fine:
code:
command: !If [NewEBS, "mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdh", "echo not formatting"]
But if I have to pass paramaters with !Sub, it has various issues.

This says YAML is malformed and won't run the template.
code:
command: !If [NewEBS, !Sub |
	docker run -e foo=${bar}, "echo skip"]
This validates but sends !Sub to the shell and will fail to create.
code:
command: !If [NewEBS, "!Sub |
	docker run -e foo=${bar}", "echo skip"]
Edit: I've tried all kinds of variations but basically the condition won't validate unless there's a quote after the comma and cfn-init passes along everything after the quote.

i don't know if your examples are just misformatted or what, but the first is equivalent to:
code:
command: !If [ NewEBS, !Sub "docker run -r foo=${bar}, \"echo skip\" ]"
and the second:
code:
command: !If [ NewEBS, "!Sub |
    docker run -e foo=${bar}", "echo skip"]
neither of which are valid yaml

you probably want:

code:
command: !If [ NewEBS, !Sub "docker run -e foo=${bar}", "echo skip" ]

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

what's my best option for pushing records to kinesis from languages with poor support for the kinesis producer library?

what i've considered so far:

a: pushing directly to the stream using a native client
b: writing a basic http wrapper around the kpl and pushing events to a pair of fargate containers running it, letting them batch them and push to the stream
c: using cloudwatch events instead and taking advantage of it's ability to persist events to a kinesis stream
d: using the kinesis log agent and just writing json lines to a file

i don't like a because we're using some sketch programming languages and they have iffy quality clients

i don't like b because i hate operating things and also latency is a concern

i don't like c because i can't find out if order is preserved and also latency is a concern

i really don't like d because i can't afford to lose events and orchestrating things so all logs are written and shipped seems hard

have i missed something obvious?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i'm working with a client too cheap to pay for aws support but i have some questions about the service level guarantees of cloudwatch events, sns and sqs. whats my best bet for finding these?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Curious to hear some feedback from anyone who has tried LocalStack for developing AWS stuff without actual resource spin up and pull down. It looks super promising to me, but I've never used it in practice, I'm keen to hear some thoughts from you much more experienced gurus?

localstack is ok for when you just need to satisfy a dependency and can't be bothered to swap out sqs/sns/whatever for something locally runnable but it's not a very accurate recreation of the services it replaces so you can't rely on it if you're testing the thing itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

you could try Glue, it's basically serverless spark