Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Keep in mind that having your database server in a separate location from your web servers is going to introduce some additional overhead in the latency for communication between the two. If every millisecond isn't critical, then it may not be a big deal. I imagine the latency between DO and AWS isn't even all that bad depending on what locations you've working with. Something worth considering though.

Red Mike brings up a good point about additional costs due to data transfer as well. If you kept it all within AWS, you wouldn't have that issue. Amazon just announced a new VPS product called Lightsail that is supposed to be more akin to Digital Ocean's offering (I haven't read too much about it myself) than EC2. It may be worth looking into that if you did want to move everything over, but keep a similar setup aside from database hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU