Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I recently 'inherited' an AWS account at work. For some reason they're paying $400/month for a private certificate authority, but there's no Private CA listed as configured in their account. Is this likely something that was added some point along the way but never disabled after they didn't need it any more? Should I just contact AWS support and see if they can confirm it's not being used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Docjowles posted:

If they’re being charged for it, it must exist somewhere. Maybe you’re looking in the wrong region? If you go into the billing console it should have pretty detailed info about exactly what you are being billed for and why.

If you can’t figure it out, sure, a support case can’t hurt.

Spinning something expensive up as an experiment or mistake and then never tearing it back down is unfortunately very common.

You were right on, the Private CA was setup in a different region than all their other stuff. It looks like all the certificates they have in there are expired and were for domains that were never setup. It makes me think they could just delete the certs and the CA and save a good amount of money.

Edit: actually it looks like certs from a Private CA might not be listed in certificate manager, and I have to generate an audit report…which only exports to an S3 bucket? Who comes up with this stuff?!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 3, 2024