Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody on here login to their AWS console through SAML? I'm looking to sort out our sprawl of independent accounts as the company grows. I have AWS linked to G Suite so everybody pick a role when they log in based on strings stored in the directory schema, and this works well. However, a legit issue that has been raised relates to generating access keys for services - since SAML just grants access rather than actually creating an account, there's no user object to add access keys to. If I make a SAML role that enables people to create users that they can then add access keys to it defeats the purpose of using SAML in the first place, since there's extra workload created to audit these accounts and the permissions attached to them.

Is this a thing that anyone has solved, or are people just using something like Spinnaker / their own internal tools which use internal directory details, and not letting people touch the AWS console?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks. I've had a look at the documentation for instance profiles and that seems to be applicable for accessing AWS resources from EC2. The dev team are using access keys for things like connecting their desktop applications to the service - sorry I have to be light on details, I need to have a catch-up with the team lead to figure out what they are actually doing. Is the answer here to just use tools that can authenticate using a SAML workflow?

I've asked them to put me in touch with our account manager as well to see if we can get on a chat and figure something out, or at least get a clearer idea of what we're trying to do.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I correct that I can't control IAM permissions on a per-Route 53 domain basis, just on a per-DNS-zone basis?

E.g. I can deny access to changing the transfer lock status, but I can't only have it apply to specific domains.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody managed to successfully decipher Azure VM sizing?

Looking at their price list:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/virtual-machines/windows/

An A2 instance has 3.5GB RAM and 60GB disk (the disk being temporary scratch rather than persistent storage provided by a Managed Disk which the OS runs from).

Looking at their documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes-general

An A2 instance has 3.5GB RAM and 135GB disk.

Is this a documentation fuckup, or have I missed something?

Edit: I have missed something, A2 on the price list is Basic tier, A2 Standard is a previous version VM and listed https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/virtual-machines/windows-previous/. They could really do with coming up with a better way of naming them.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 25, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not understanding the economics of brute-forcing something on AWS to save $5.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that also what SQS is designed to manage?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

describe-instances returns the private-dns-name if that is what you meant?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is CloudWatch not going to help you here? Either you want to know about all activity, or in the case of EC2 I guess network in/out to instances above a baseline value would help you figure out if a service is in use or not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy the courses from Udemy and then transfer them into ACloudGuru by sending a copy of your receipt.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get massively intimidated by the prospect of taking any of the AWS exams due to the ridiculously quick pace that it's developing at. Should really put some effort in and give it a shot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The region thing in AWS being a global setting is fairly annoying - I’d like to see all instances returned and then a column for region that can be filtered.

I assume there’s a good technical reason for this and presumably it ensures that each region is separated from another so you don’t have issues with your local region meaning you also lose management of other regions but I’ve not read anything that explains why it’s the way it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you build it in Lambda?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

It’s a blast radius thing. When you flip between regions, you are literally flipping to a new instance of AWS that lives somewhere else. As services are launched they start with a single target region and then a new block of service infrastructure is spun up in a new region, and things progress from there.

At AWS almost everything is modular. Except for stuff like billing and a few other things. Traditionally we leave it up to the customer to unify things to their liking. But Organizations does a lot to unify stuff across accounts and regions.

In your case, where you’d want to see all instances everywhere, we’d expect you to build that report yourself using the API.

Thanks for the explainer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see the security argument against cloud because it seems to be based on the assumption that just because someone doesn't know their private infrastructure is a compromised mess means that there's never been any issue, and hey look at all these advisories that Azure are publishing!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a read of https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/PrivateContent.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your CloudFront costs are going to be miniscule - I host the images in our email signatures out of public S3 buckets with CloudFront in front of them to be able to use a custom domain, and the cost is under £5 a month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

is there a best-practices anywhere for using SAML with AWS Cognito as well as the AWS control panel? Presumably I just create one app for Cognito and one for the other stuff, or is there a more elegant way to deal with this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus, I feel dirty asking this question but here goes.

If someone has come to me with a requirement to run a particular legacy application in a few locations (likely west coast, east coast, and London) that is qualified on bare metal, Hyper-V or VMware, am I insane for thinking that nested virt in Azure might tick this box nicely? I'm already familiar with Azure networking and if it needs ExpressRoute then loads of people offer it. The only alternative I can think of is managed VMware with someone like Rackspace, and gently caress that. AWS VMware would also do it but the pricing is way out of budget for this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The application is supplied as an ISO or an OVA, and upgrades involve mounting the ISO and using the (virtual) console. While I could deploy the thing into Hyper-V and then migrate it into Azure it basically paints me into a corner as far as future upgrades go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's more the maintenance and upgrades that have to be done through the console with an ISO mounted. Exporting back to do the upgrade and then importing it again is a bit too much of a PITA, and also we'd completely gently caress over any chance of getting vendor support.

This is like the only service that runs this badly and I'd rather just ditch it, but it's not my call.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you looked at something like https://gravitational.com/teleport/ ? I'm sure it can be configured in a way that ensures your tooling can work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If anyone has 20 minutes to kill I'd appreciate some input on this presentation, because the point being made seems less "cloud isn't the right choice" and more "we built a legacy service and treated every client like a bespoke deployment, and were surprised when it didn't translate well for AWS".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOYtH1Ya1E

Just from my non-expert eye it seems like deploying a load of VPNs (and having to configure something on the far end) is a batshit insane way to achieve this vs. just using http/websocket and maybe some sort of push for real-time updates, because then deploying a screen becomes "connect to your wifi or plug into cheap broadband service" and not "work with us to get a VPN tunnel set up, make sure the LAN address range doesn't overlap with what we're already doing, wow this is all expensive!"

Agrikk I assume you've had clients that bring a turd like this to you and assume :yaycloud: is just a place to run VMs for cheap?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's good how he's sort of lost track of the original aims of moving out of AWS (hitting scalability issues, 'needing' VRF for the dogshit mess that is the networking) and then has to shift the goalposts when the first question comes in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's resolving the external IP, but is the traffic actually going externally? I know in Azure when you present a service endpoint into a vnet you still reference the 'public' DNS name but that traffic never actually leaves the private network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you have one private DNS zone and then add multiple VPC IDs to the configuration? Then just enable DNS resolution on each zone. No need for DNS traffic to transit your VPC peer.

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean. A different IP gets returned depending on where the query has come from, and RDS doesn't see a query from a peered VPC as a private source.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 21, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

freeasinbeer posted:

I most definitely have RDS servers that have cross region connectivity. It resolves the RDS domain name to a private IP and that is routed over the inter region peer. What AWS won’t let you do is chain VPCs, the two VPCs have to be explicitly peered.

In the AWS docs it’s called transitive peering and shows you what it will and won’t do.

Are you running your own DNS servers (that are in the same region as the RDS server) and setting each instance inside a VPC to use those servers to resolve? That's the only way I can see that working, unless the documentation is different to the reality.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems like you get a choice of having an RDS instance publicly accessible when you create it, and this changes how DNS behaves - if you don't have it publicly accessible then the DNS name will always resolve to a private address.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_VPC.WorkingWithRDSInstanceinaVPC.html#USER_VPC.Hiding

Edit: You wrote that above, I missed it. I think this is the setting that you want Volguus.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 21, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Volguus posted:

Oooh, yes, I guess, maybe. But I would like to be able to access the db from work from time to time (I update the security group to allow my ip to access it, do my thing, then remove it). If I set it to private (assuming i'll be able to update it even) I presume that then this will be it. I have to go through an EC2 machine. Which may be fine I guess.

Yeah you'll have to hop through another host or deploy a VPN appliance into your VPC. Or build a VPN tunnel back to your office. Or Direct Connect into your existing WAN.

I'd push for AWS training (as well as hiring someone) because then that also benefits you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would Athena be along the right lines?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lambda/latest/dg/limits.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not specifically AWS related but I have had a lot of luck at my current job of just sitting around keeping a vague eye on a problem that needs to be solved and having a current vendor we work with pop up to roll the fix into a product we already use, rather than migrating between different services for every little problem that comes around, or having billions of different subscriptions going with a load of feature overlap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For what it's worth I took it to mean something along the lines of "buy Gmail rather than some EC2 instances that you then put your own mail server on top".

A small dev team that I work with on-and-off really needed to be kicked hard to stop seeing AWS as an empty VMware cluster that you just put Linux boxes on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've used AWS for anything then you don't really get much out of it. It's a very high level overview of the platform, emphasis on how you still need to do security yourself, and a couple of quick demos.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scaramouche posted:

Apologies if this has come up before; I asked the above because some coworkers had asked my opinion of the AWSome day event and I didn't really have one so I passed along the info I got here.

However one of them has come back with another question, which is about courses and training. I don't think his interest is in expanding his certificate collection, but rather getting some real hands on training. Based on what I've gathered by reading the OP and some randomly selected pages of the thread there's a couple of options:
- Amazon directly (? Do they do this, or just list certified training providers)
- Third party training providers like the Cloud Guru guys mentioned in the OP
- Local providers (there are many, we're in a big city with an Amazon satellite office)

The developer in question is mostly concerned with DevOps questions rather than developing actual applications; we're already using AWS Lambda services (which this guy has set up) but we're probably going to do some S3 CDN style work in combo with that. So I guess the question is, how to identify the courses/training with most bang for time spent? Find a cert that describes his DevOps concerns and work backwards from that? (e.g. AWS Certified DevOps Engineer)

AWS partners are pushing something called the Well-Architected Framework which might be worth having a look at. From what I can tell they are days delivered by consulting partners and don't cost anything, you have an opportunity to talk 1:1 about the design of your application and will probably help with the decision on what areas to cover.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or look at doing a VPN tunnel between the two virtual networks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cloud networking is magic. We needed to move some Azure services into a different region so I just built the vnet, moved the VPN tunnels from the old region to the new, then peered the two vnets, allowing the old one to use the gateway of the new one. Total downtime was about 30 mins which included the time to redo the VPN tunnels on our firewalls.

Everything works as it did before, except the packets are going via our local region and I can bring new things up gradually without any disruption.

I have no idea how that all works in the backend in a way that can maintain segregation but it’s impressive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I figured something along those lines but it's the scale that is the :psyduck: bit for me

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I might suck at searching documentation, but does anybody know if Azure route tables support defining a route for a /16 and then a higher priority route for a /24 that falls within that /16, or will it just error out?

I'm going to try and avoid doing this but might need this as a fall back option.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I just don't want to hit some weird validation issue in the API/portal and need to push it through support to get fixed. Though I've just realised I can find out pretty quickly by just adding a /8 route to my test tenant and seeing what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks. If it needed confirming (having thought about this it was a question with an obvious answer) I've tested this in an Azure VNet with two IPsec tunnels, one to a site addressed as 10.1.0.0/16 and another 10.2.0.0/16 and I could add 10.1.250.0/24 to the second route without issue, and the route was listed in the effective routes for an interface in the VNet.